Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If Therrien thinks he's gonna make a 36-year-old Briere a "better player," then his ego is roughly the size of the Big O.

As for the loss of the Nordiques being the bane of the Habs, I totally disagree. The Nordiques intensified the pressure on the Habs to "frenchify" by explicitly playing the nationalist card ("the Nordiques are the true Team of Quebec," etc.) and therefore ratcheting up the urgency of winning the PR battle. People forget that there were millions of dollars in beer sales at stake in that rivalry - compounding enormous pressure on the Habs to play this noxious language game. The Nordiques were bad for the Habs, and personally I don't want them back.

Normally, I find your opinions informed and entertaining, but I disagree here. First, the coach's job is to try to make all of his players better players. To suggest that the coach can't-- or won't attempt-- to make his players better is a misunderstanding of the coach's primary role which is to optimize player performance within the team context.

At the NHL level this is partially about refining skills or positioning but mostly about playing the system and trusting your team-mates, working towards collective success.

Secondly, I disagree about the Nordiques. I gleefully hated them and I miss the epic battles. Also, if they were one of the root causes of Les Canadiens capitulation to politically--and linguistically-- correct BS, why has this issue become so much more enflamed after the Nords left? I would argue that because they no longer have the Nordiques, French Nationalists are more focused on the Canadiens.

Using the Goat's promotion of Cunneyworth as an example, I think that Gauthier made three fundamental mistakes that doomed Cunneyworth from the start: 1. he had no reputation for success at the NHL Level; 2. lkie you said, there should have been an immediate and visible commitment to learning French and 3. Gauthier was unable or unwilling to step into the spotlight and deflect some of the criticism from the coach.

Unfortunately, given the furor over this ill-planned and poorly executed debacle it seems certain that language will remain a primary qualification for our coaches for the foreseeable future.

However, I hope that we need neither new coach or manager for many years as that means we are enjoying a well-deserved--for long-suffering fans-- period of success

Using the Goat's promotion of Cunneyworth as an example, I think that Gauthier made three fundamental mistakes that doomed Cunneyworth from the start: 1. he had no reputation for success at the NHL Level; 2. lkie you said, there should have been an immediate and visible commitment to learning French and 3. Gauthier was unable or unwilling to step into the spotlight and deflect some of the criticism from the coach.

Unfortunately, given the furor over this ill-planned and poorly executed debacle it seems certain that language will remain a primary qualification for our coaches for the foreseeable future.

Those are good points. I think this is one thing that Bergevin indisputably has in his corner: his public image. If we were to ever hire the best available coaching candidate regardless of language, with the caveat that he learns French along the way, having a guy like Bergevin to be the public face of the decision and to take the requisite flak is essential. Gauthier wouldn't be able to do it, and it would be a much tougher sell even for a man like Gainey or Savard. Bergevin is already pretty visible for a GM with his 24CH appearances and commercials, and the image he's cultivated is of strength, patience, and toughness. Having him in the firing line would be essential - providing he's brave and savvy enough to pull that sort of trigger. He hasn't royally screwed up yet so he's still got most of his political capital. Such a move would definitely use most of it up, but I think the vast majority of the fanbase would be able to look at it as a sensible hockey move, and then stick around to hear Babcock or Hitchcock stumble their way through basic French. (It would definitely help a lot for the hire to be a big name rather than a relative unknown up-and-comer).

Otherwise, we're hoping that Vigneault gets fired - which means that he failed. Anyways, this is all academic for now, as I think Therrien is doing a pretty good job at the moment and the team seems like it's on an upward long-term trajectory. If Therrien gets us to the Cup Finals, would we really pull a Pittsburgh Penguins and be able to fire him the next season?

Jets lost 4 in a row, which players are they gonna turf for pick/prospects?

Oilers simply are horrible defensively (161 goals against) and battling Sabres for 30th place, when will they make a move for defense/leadership?

Flames got spanked 6-0 yesterday, Hudler or Glencross gonna be swapped by Burke? Would either be an upgrade for Habs?

Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary are all good targets for trade deadline acquistions.

Kane is always the target as he has no trade clauses so he can go anywhere but Winnipeg is in no rush to deal him. Jokinen has a modified NTC but we don't need him. Setoguchi is a cheap pickup for someone who needs depth. Not really us. Mark Stuart is the kind of guy we'd pick up if Gorges or Emelin were out for the rest of the year.

I don't care for a single Edmonton Oilers UFA. Not even Ryan Jones, who is the best Chatham born NHLer since Dave Gagner.

Calgary was made to tank with Cammalleri, Stajan and Stempniak all likely being gone. Stajan and Stempniak will go for whoever wants them. Cammalleri will goto a team that values him more than we do. Hudler has a lot of value so maybe Burke sends him out (people here would just complain about his size even if Hudler is talented) while I don't see Glencross leaving. He took less to stay in Calgary and his NMC says he only moves if he wants to move.

Those are good points. I think this is one thing that Bergevin indisputably has in his corner: his public image. If we were to ever hire the best available coaching candidate regardless of language, with the caveat that he learns French along the way, having a guy like Bergevin to be the public face of the decision and to take the requisite flak is essential. Gauthier wouldn't be able to do it, and it would be a much tougher sell even for a man like Gainey or Savard. Bergevin is already pretty visible for a GM with his 24CH appearances and commercials, and the image he's cultivated is of strength, patience, and toughness. Having him in the firing line would be essential - providing he's brave and savvy enough to pull that sort of trigger. He hasn't royally screwed up yet so he's still got most of his political capital. Such a move would definitely use most of it up, but I think the vast majority of the fanbase would be able to look at it as a sensible hockey move, and then stick around to hear Babcock or Hitchcock stumble their way through basic French. (It would definitely help a lot for the hire to be a big name rather than a relative unknown up-and-comer).

Otherwise, we're hoping that Vigneault gets fired - which means that he failed. Anyways, this is all academic for now, as I think Therrien is doing a pretty good job at the moment and the team seems like it's on an upward long-term trajectory. If Therrien gets us to the Cup Finals, would we really pull a Pittsburgh Penguins and be able to fire him the next season?

I agree, a lot of the problems Cunneyworth had with the French disaster were a snowball effect of the awful season and discontent with JM and the Goat. Cunneyworth also made the bonehead mistake of speaking ZERO French in his initial press conference. He also sucked as a coach, so the whole thing was overblown.

He also sucked as a coach, so the whole thing was overblown.

This is the number one thing about it all.

Don Lever would have done a better job coaching the Canadiens and he never got an NHL job at all.

I should mention as well that Cunneyworth is not working behind a bench anymore. He's the player development coach for the Rochester Americans. Even the Sabres are like, "Yeah, you're a good guy Randy but we don't want you anywhere near the bench."

Guest Stogey24

Brian Rafalski just came out of retirement. I'm not saying he's what Montreal needs or wants, but he could still be a top four D-man. Conversation starter at most.

Guest Stogey24

Seems like Rafalski would be trying to go to a true contender for a last shot at the Cup. Who knows what he's got left in the tank, though. Pretty strange move.

lol, I was just reading an article on his return. He couldn't stop talking about God telling him to return to hockey.

48pts in 63 games is what he ended on. I bet he's still got it.

Seems like Rafalski would be trying to go to a true contender for a last shot at the Cup. Who knows what he's got left in the tank, though. Pretty strange move.

the rumour is Yzerman asked him to come out of retirement.

Rumour out of NJ of Briere heading there for Volchenkov, but I think that's more of a writer thinking out loud rather than it being based on any sources.

IF it was based on fact it would give us another shot blocking defenceman. However he does get nicked up a lot, not serious injuries just a lot of minor ones. It does not address our need for goals.

Rumour out of NJ of Briere heading there for Volchenkov, but I think that's more of a writer thinking out loud rather than it being based on any sources.

For all of the crap that Gorges gets around here, he does everything Volchenkov does and better. Volchenkov would be some serious redundancy. More importantly, from one of the only credible journalists left in hockey:

Veteran winger Daniel Briere has been terrific since being reinserted into the Montreal Canadiens lineup.

Trade rumors were flying after he was a healthy scratch during the holidays and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that he didn't sign in Montreal as a veteran free agent last summer to watch games from the press box. So, no, he wasn't happy.

But he's had an impact since returning to the lineup and that situation seems to have settled down for now. What also helped, a source told ESPN.com, is a conversation Briere had with GM Marc Bergevin, reassuring him of his role and value to the team. Credit goes as well to head coach Michel Therrien, who found a role that worked for Briere. With forward Alex Galchenyuk injured and sidelined for six weeks, Briere now should have a chance at regular ice time.

Link: http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/28775/olympic-break-creates-two-trade-deadlines

Volchenkov is overpaid and signed for longer than Briere, we don't need him.

Damn Jagr is teasing us again.

For sure.

But it would be easier to move Volchenkov than it is to move Briere, so even if we traded for him it doesn't mean we couldn't trade him again immediately.

For sure.

But it would be easier to move Volchenkov than it is to move Briere, so even if we traded for him it doesn't mean we couldn't trade him again immediately.

I'd disagree with that. Volchenkov has been on the block for a couple of years already with the Devils as his contract has been really bad pretty much since day one with him struggling immediately. What's easier to move in general, an expensive and underachieving forward with one year left or a more expensive and underachieving d-man with two years left? If you're simply contract dumping, the lesser term is usually going to be the easier one to move.

This is the number one thing about it all.

Don Lever would have done a better job coaching the Canadiens and he never got an NHL job at all.

I should mention as well that Cunneyworth is not working behind a bench anymore. He's the player development coach for the Rochester Americans. Even the Sabres are like, "Yeah, you're a good guy Randy but we don't want you anywhere near the bench."

Don Lever!

• Upvote 1

According to Pierre Lebrun on RDS, Rene Bourque has been offered to some western conference teams.

About time! Unfortunately, M.B. is gonna have a hard time trading Bourque. He's useless. The Habs will undoubtedly have to sweeten the pot!

Don't be so sure there won't be takers. MB can always use the old "he did better in the western conference" argument, and - unfortunately - teams always get a hard-on for players with size and fantasize about how great that big body would be filling in gaps in their roster, etc.. It is kind of regrettable that he has one more year on that dumb contract, however. That'll make it harder. But I never underestimate the stupidity of Cup-hungry teams at the deadline, and neither should Bergie.

It's also reassuring that he wants to move Bourque. A no-brainer, sure, but it shows that he is indeed in the process of identifying duds and looking to ship 'em out.