Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Sure, but I think he'd have to take less money....

One possible benefit from the current contract he's on - he's only making $4.25M in salary this year. That's closer to where a new contract should be for him (unless he goes out and has a great contract year which would be nice).

As long as Markov wants to play, I would keep him. He's the perfect role model / tutor for Sergachev.

At the right price and if still chugging along at end of this season, for sure.

As long as Markov wants to play, I would keep him. He's the perfect role model / tutor for Sergachev.

Should have traded him 2 years ago. Very poor asset management.

Should have traded him 2 years ago. Very poor asset management.

Not this argument again. Can someone else explain to him the value of having life long Hab Markov still on the team the last few years instead of some sort of draft pick that may or may not have worked out? He has missed a total of 2(!) games in the last 4 seasons after uncertainty about his knee and has averaged .57 points per game in that time. Unless you're going for a full rebuild (which the Habs haven't been since then), it's a stupid move.

Somewhat random thought but In regards to Markov, it would be nice to have had a lethal left handed point shot to work with in the recent past and present. Lately, they've been righties. Regardless of age, Markov should always be a top 10 dman on the PP but he's even more effective from the left point when teams aren't sure if he's going to send it cross seem to a left shooting right winger or to the left shooting defender for a one timer. I think we used to make it a point of emphasis for our PP pointman to be a lefty alongside Markov. I can think of many who fit that mould, but I won't mention any names.

Not this argument again. Can someone else explain to him the value of having life long Hab Markov still on the team the last few years instead of some sort of draft pick that may or may not have worked out? He has missed a total of 2(!) games in the last 4 seasons after uncertainty about his knee and has averaged .57 points per game in that time. Unless you're going for a full rebuild (which the Habs haven't been since then), it's a stupid move.

I just love to piss you off. :rofl:

Somewhat random thought but In regards to Markov, it would be nice to have had a lethal left handed point shot to work with in the recent past and present. Lately, they've been righties. Regardless of age, Markov should always be a top 10 dman on the PP but he's even more effective from the left point when teams aren't sure if he's going to send it cross seem to a left shooting right winger or to the left shooting defender for a one timer. I think we used to make it a point of emphasis for our PP pointman to be a lefty alongside Markov. I can think of many who fit that mould, but I won't mention any names.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the distinct impression that Markov's shot isn't what it used to be, not at all. That was one of the first things I noticed when he finally came back from all those knee injuries - his shot didn't have the extra mustard on it that it used to.

I just love to piss you off. :rofl:

You're definitely a contender for the being the best at it

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the distinct impression that Markov's shot isn't what it used to be, not at all. That was one of the first things I noticed when he finally came back from all those knee injuries - his shot didn't have the extra mustard on it that it used to.

No, I think you're right. I've noticed his shot isn't as effective as well but didn't really put any thought into it coinciding with his knee injuries. I'm sure he is a bit more tentative out there as well as being hampered with some aspects of the game.

You're definitely a contender for the being the best at it

No, I think you're right. I've noticed his shot isn't as effective as well but didn't really put any thought into it coinciding with his knee injuries. I'm sure he is a bit more tentative out there as well as being hampered with some aspects of the game.

No, I noticed the shot issue right away upon his return. He used to have an under-rated laser beam of a shot from the point, but now it seems pretty average. I thought it would gradually recover, but it never did. Presumably his knee just isn't as strong as it used to be and that hampers his mechanics a bit? Anyway, I don't pretend to understand the cause, but I'm pretty sure the result is as we're describing it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Weber - Petry on the first PP unit and Markov - Beaulieu on the 2nd wave. I don't like the chances of it happening but I like the idea of Markov setting up Beaulieu for a one timer from the left point.

Beaulieu could be a rich man's Kaberle on the PP.

Markov on the right point just doesn't do it for me.

I agree he should also shoot a little more. He's always been pretty accurate when he does try to hit the net so whether or not he has lost some pop to his shot, he could still mix it up a little more and throw it in for a rebound.

I wouldn't mind seeing Weber - Petry on the first PP unit and Markov - Beaulieu on the 2nd wave. I don't like the chances of it happening but I like the idea of Markov setting up Beaulieu for a one timer from the left point.

Beaulieu could be a rich man's Kaberle on the PP.

Markov on the right point just doesn't do it for me.

I agree he should also shoot a little more. He's always been pretty accurate when he does try to hit the net so whether or not he has lost some pop to his shot, he could still mix it up a little more and throw it in for a rebound.

I would go with Weber-Markov on the PP 1st unit...hopefully not as the 1st pairing 5 on 5 though. I think most have faith Kirk Muller will come up with a more productive unit and still 2 more friggin months till find out what they are.

I would go with Weber-Markov on the PP 1st unit...hopefully not as the 1st pairing 5 on 5 though. I think most have faith Kirk Muller will come up with a more productive unit and still 2 more friggin months till find out what they are.

Likely what they will go with and I think it's probably the right call as well. I just remember all those seasons where our PP was fairly lethal and Markov was usually the QB from the left point. Weber should be lethal from there as well and Markov will still get his pp assists.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

I was reading there is a good possibility Vesey 'the loch ness monster' lands in Montreal.... Not sure if anyone else has heard anything.

I was reading there is a good possibility Vesey 'the loch ness monster' lands in Montreal.... Not sure if anyone else has heard anything.

Jimmy Murphy speculated it based on Chris Nilan's connection with the family and his promise earlier this summer to try to sell him on signing in Montreal. Nilan apparently tweeted recently that Vesey doesn't have the Habs on his current shortlist so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Well I think the most he can get is 925. So who ever gets him isn't risky very much, if he does flop.

Just seems vast majority of these 'best player, not in the NHL" fade away than become an impact NHLer.

He's a little different than your typical undrafted free agent though.

1) He was a third round pick

2) The Preds were ready to put him in their top 6 last year.

3) He won the Hobey Baker, and was a two time finalist.

The combination of those three things doesn't often exist....

Also some of those "best player outside the NHL" do work out... see Artemi Panarin.

He's a little different than your typical undrafted free agent though.

1) He was a third round pick

2) The Preds were ready to put him in their top 6 last year.

3) He won the Hobey Baker, and was a two time finalist.

The combination of those three things doesn't often exist....

Also some of those "best player outside the NHL" do work out... see Artemi Panarin.

'Vast majority', leaves wiggle room for odd duck. And I knew nothing of his actual play, other than hype and name.

Basically if he was available in this year's NHL draft he'd be taken anywhere between pick 15 and pick 25.

Its a free first round talent.

First round talents bust, it happens.

That said, he costs nothing... less than a million (plus bonuses) in the NHL... and like 80,000 in the AHL.

If he busts you've given up basically nothing.... a few hundred thousand while he was failing in the NHL, and wait 40-50k in the AHL to play out the season and 80K next year. Big deal to an NHL team.

Its no risk, high reward; hence why 30 NHL teams are after him.

Basically if he was available in this year's NHL draft he'd be taken anywhere between pick 15 and pick 25.

Its a free first round talent.

First round talents bust, it happens.

That said, he costs nothing... less than a million (plus bonuses) in the NHL... and like 80,000 in the AHL.

If he busts you've given up basically nothing.... a few hundred thousand while he was failing in the NHL, and wait 40-50k in the AHL to play out the season and 80K next year. Big deal to an NHL team.

Its no risk, high reward; hence why 30 NHL teams are after him.

And we ain't getting him.

So a Beaulieu/McCarron/Scherbak mid-late 1st rounder quality player, and he would of stepped into top six in Nashville? Holy crap, they must be thin up front and that GM must be doing a poor job.

So a Beaulieu/McCarron/Scherbak mid-late 1st rounder quality player, and he would of stepped into top six in Nashville? Holy crap, they must be thin up front and that GM must be doing a poor job.

Beaulieu is expected to play on our top pairing this season by most here, and most analysts.

McCarron and Scherbak are a lot younger than Vesey.

If we want to cherry pick players, lets look at those who are one year older than Vesey (to allow for the fact that he will be doing this season, what they did in 2015-16).... lets look at the guys picked 15+ if you want to cherry pick guys, not just habs.

J.T. Miller 44 points

Oscar Klefbom and Connor Murphy (top 4 D)

Namestnikov 35 points

Rackell 43 points

And we ain't getting him.

No probably not, but that doesn't make him a bust.

I love these proclamations from people who openly admit never having seen him play.