Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

That's lots of money....

Radulov is apparently representing himself in negotiations 

Not that much. Markov has re-upped at 5.75/yr for several years. 2yrs at 6/yr is not an outrageous raise by any measure but does carrry a slightly higher risk at year 2 for Bergevin. That said, do we have any second pair options that would be as good or better that would be cheaper? I don't think so. Therefore, sign Markov now. Get Radulov signed on a 4-5 yr term (hopefully 4) before July   1st. Then we can move on to Alzner or whoever we need on d and at centre 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

That's lots of money....

Radulov is apparently representing himself in negotiations 

As is Markov

35 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Hard not to get expectations up here. This would be monstrous for the blue line.

Why? He is a good skating, offensive puck mover is he? He is overrated and will be overpaid.

9 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I don't think grigorenko is a terrible option either 

I do.  If he wasn't a former first round pick, he'd be a complete afterthought as that's basically what his play has been throughout his pro career.  He had plenty of opportunities in Colorado and completely dogged it through every one of them.  If he was smart, he'd head back to the KHL and try to restore some value and then try the NHL again a few years from now if he still wants to play at this level. 

7 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I'd sign Yakupov, to either a 2-way or $950k or under, so if it doesn't work he can be 100% buried.  I've been a fan of reuniting Yak and Galchenyuk for awhile.

The 'buriable' threshold has increased to $1.025 million for this season.  The rule is $375,000 plus the league minimum salary which jumps to $650,000 this year.

59 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Karl Alzner sucks.

Excuse my ignorance of the forum personalities here but what is up with this guy?  I've yet to hear a positive comment from him.  Is this some kind of joke or are you really this negative about everything? Considering putting him on ignore.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Excuse my ignorance of the forum personalities here but what is up with this guy?  I've yet to hear a positive comment from him.  Is this some kind of joke or are you really this negative about everything? Considering putting him on ignore.

I just call it like I see it. I had good things to say about the Drouin trade. If you expect me to drool about Karl Alzner or Jumbo Joke or slobber all over Marc Bergevin, ignore might be the best route.

There is room on this board for Panglossian Candides like DON and for grumpier Barney Panofskys such as Lovett (and I daresay myself). Why would we 'ignore' someone unless they're offensive or total trolls?

I would not give Markov 6m a year.  His speed has declined, His production is steadily declining.  He has trouble defending speed and the league is getting faster.  I'd be comfortable 4-4.5 for 1 year, but no more.  Plus he is representing himself in the negotiations.

As for Radulov, it sounds like he was 7-8 years, but nobody is biting at that term.  Sounding like he may have to settle for 4-5.

Alzner would be a good addition.. so would Jumbo Joe at the right price. Alzner was +23 last year - 11th for defense in the entire NHL. Yeah, he sucks. 

There aren't many better options to fill the holes on defense so unless you plan on using Davidson as a regular top 6, you need somebody. 

With Joe, he'd be a good centre with our scorers being wingers. He's a passer, and still one of the best at it. 

Seems like the advanced statisticians have a real hate on for Alzner. Can't say I know the true case very well, just that he's a well known name.

Does someone here have a firsthand account?

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There is room on this board for Panglossian Candides like DON and for grumpier Barney Panofskys such as Lovett (and I daresay myself). Why would we 'ignore' someone unless they're offensive or total trolls?

Why thanks you sir, but I wont look up your odd reference and just assume it is very flattering.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Some rumors have alzner seeking 4 years/16 million.  I could stomach that. 

If he wants 5 years at 5 million, I don't want him. 

I'd be surprised if he signs for 4 mil.. considering the lack of options on the open market. 

I'd be ok with 4.5 or 4.75 for four or five years. 

18 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I'd be surprised if he signs for 4 mil.. considering the lack of options on the open market. 

I'd be ok with 4.5 or 4.75 for four or five years. 

I want nothing to do with alzner.  First of all we need a puck moving dman.  

Secondly, given we need a puck moving dman to play on the first pairing, where is alzner going to play?? 2nd pairing is Markov-petry.  That leaves the bottom pairing.  Anything more than $2.5m makes zero sense for a bottom pairing dman.  

third, he is going to want term.  For a defensive dman, in today's NHL, anything more than than 3 years is dumb - unless he is either young (under 25), or signs cheap.

lastly, given our other most pressing needs (offensive dman and scoring), we should be spending the money on offence.

Having said all that, I can see a clown like MB willing to go all in on Alzner.  Need to add more character and leadership since he feels we have such a fragile team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hadn't heard of Mordecai Richler...Atwood, Mavis Gallant, and Alice Monroe are all people talk about in Canadian literature.

I've been heavy handed with the comments lately, but it's coming from a huge sense of disappointment with the team over the past few years. Conference finals, beat by Tampa-understandable, Price hurt, PK traded, first round exit and it seems that the window has closed on our collective fingers. Maybe I was being a homer, but in 2014-2015, I thought this team was on its way to winning a Stanley Cup.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I got a couple people here on ignore. Makes the site worth visiting. 

Some people constantly push dumb arguments about players that are a waste of time to discuss. Better to just not discuss it by having them on ignore.

Nothing wrong with the ignore feature. If there was something wrong with it, it would be disabled.

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Secondly, given we need a puck moving dman to play on the first pairing, where is alzner going to play?? 2nd pairing is Markov-petry.  That leaves the bottom pairing.  Anything more than $2.5m makes zero sense for a bottom pairing dman.  

third, he is going to want term.  For a defensive dman, in today's NHL, anything more than than 3 years is dumb - unless he is either young (under 25), or signs cheap.

lastly, given our other most pressing needs (offensive dman and scoring), we should be spending the money on offence.

Having said all that, I can see a clown like MB willing to go all in on Alzner.  Need to add more character and leadership since he feels we have such a fragile team.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

I'm so tired about hearing how much we need offensive dman.. we need dman who can prevent the other team from scoring. Alzner was a +23. Granted, he played on a good Caps team, but +23 is still impressive. Look at this team - Weber was a plus 20, Markov was +18.. who was next? Beaulieu at +8. That's a significant improvement. 

I'd rather sign Alzner at 4.5 than Markov at 5.5 or 6. 

I think Raddy signs and Chucky gets traded for LD.. Maybe a Noah Hanifin type.. Makes your top 4:

Hanifin Weber

Alzner Petry

Even if there is no trade, a top pairing of Alzner and Weber is better than ANYTHING Montreal trodded out last year, and Markov is only getting older. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Markov hasn't signed yet. With that in mind, an Alzner - Petry pairing is pretty sweet...

9 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

I'm so tired about hearing how much we need offensive dman.. we need dman who can prevent the other team from scoring. Alzner was a +23. Granted, he played on a good Caps team, but +23 is still impressive. Look at this team - Weber was a plus 20, Markov was +18.. who was next? Beaulieu at +8. That's a significant improvement. 

I'd rather sign Alzner at 4.5 than Markov at 5.5 or 6. 

I think Raddy signs and Chucky gets traded for LD.. Maybe a Noah Hanifin type.. Makes your top 4:

Hanifin Weber

Alzner Petry

Even if there is no trade, a top pairing of Alzner and Weber is better than ANYTHING Montreal trodded out last year, and Markov is only getting older. 

Plus/minus in 2017.

OH BOY. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Some rumors have alzner seeking 4 years/16 million.  I could stomach that. 

If he wants 5 years at 5 million, I don't want him. 

If MB signs Alzner then we can kiss Markov goodbye.  I would rather have Markov...

3 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

If MB signs Alzner then we can kiss Markov goodbye.  I would rather have Markov...

We need 2 top 4 LHD.... so I don't think signing one means the other is gone. 

Just now, Commandant said:

We need 2 top 4 LHD.... so I don't think signing one means the other is gone. 

I just don't think there's enough money.  Does $21M and change allow MB to sign Radulov, Galchenyuk, Markov and now Alzner?  Plus, they still need to address their biggest need - a centre who can score.

41 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I've been heavy handed with the comments lately, but it's coming from a huge sense of disappointment with the team over the past few years. Conference finals, beat by Tampa-understandable, Price hurt, PK traded, first round exit and it seems that the window has closed on our collective fingers. Maybe I was being a homer, but in 2014-2015, I thought this team was on its way to winning a Stanley Cup.

That's the feeling I get, although I always had reservations about our core not having enough top forwards.  If we never lost McDonagh that's another story; we would have been a defensive juggernaut like Nashville with a clearcut captain.  Markov on the second paring making any schlub look like $20M, Gorges our 3rd pair hero.  But as it played out, we were always at minimum a very good player (probably a C) away from being a true contender.

I'm leary that the Habs won't emerge from this free agency looking too good.  Is there a realistic scenario that actually has us looking like contenders?