Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

On Voynov

(....)

Voynov has no place in the NHL, no place on the Habs IMO.

Yep. That's pretty foul. I completely agree. Let him play hockey in Siberia.

• Upvote 1

TSN reporting that Montreal is among many teams courting Paul Stastney.

32 years old, last year 16 goals and 32 assists and now a year older. A few months back I thought he might be a decent 1 or 2 year fill in but now I'm wondering.

At his age he's going to want term and $. This could be his last contract. 16 goals. Yikes.

I'm not sure what other options there are but this is looking less appealing to me.

Knowing what we've drafted and the youth that we have, I'd be willing to let this year slide , get a real good draft pick next year and not sign guys like Stastney long term.

What do you think?  

45 minutes ago, REV-G said:

TSN reporting that Montreal is among many teams courting Paul Stastney.

32 years old, last year 16 goals and 32 assists and now a year older. A few months back I thought he might be a decent 1 or 2 year fill in but now I'm wondering.

At his age he's going to want term and $. This could be his last contract. 16 goals. Yikes.

I'm not sure what other options there are but this is looking less appealing to me.

Knowing what we've drafted and the youth that we have, I'd be willing to let this year slide , get a real good draft pick next year and not sign guys like Stastney long term.

What do you think?  

I think that, unless you are going all-in on a rebuild, we have no choice but to look at patchwork options at C. This means - almost by definition - taking on terrible contracts.

My preference would be a trade to acquire ROR. He is not a #1C, but he would be light-years better than anything on the team right now. The downside is that this would involve surrendering potentially major assets (such as Poehling).

And it's not even an either-or. The situation as C is so atrocious that, really, the Habs need TWO top-6 C, not just one.

So as I see it, we EITHER demand a rebuild and therefore condemn any move to fix the C situation, since doing so is guaranteed to mean sacrificing picks/prospects (the ROR scenario) or else lock us into contracts that are practically certain to be atrocious on the back end; OR we accept that we're in a no-win position and welcome a Stastny-type signing.

Since I don't believe a rebuild is in the cards, I'd be willing to hold my nose at bad contracts. Maybe by the time Kotkaneimi and Poehling are ready, we can buy Stastny out or something.

EDIT: There is a third option, perhaps: take a one-year flyer on Spezza. 

I can paste quotes as well...

The statement reads: 'Marta was stunned by the news today and she is devastated. She did not believe, and does not believe, that her husband intended to injure her and she believes that he is not guilty of any crime. 

'She is worried about her family's privacy and concerned that she and her family are going to be subjected to ridicule, embarrassment and hatred because of this decision. 

'In fact, she has already seen that beginning to happen. 

'It is unfortunate that no one seemed to care what she wants, and that the authorities gave little or no weight to her view of the facts of the case. 

'Despite this unwelcome news, she still expects her husband to be cleared of any criminal wrongdoing.' 

That was in 2014-15. It’s 2018 and there’s never been any news involving her name since.

15 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’ll I turn the tables and ask this. What would Voynov’s wife want? Does she want him to be able to play in the NHL? Considering they are still together, I’m sure she would like him to be as successful as he can be. Her opinion is more important than yours. 

The complete cynic in me thinks that's despite being regularly assaulted by her partner and father of her recent child, this woman is probably willing to tolerate quite a bit to live the lifestyle that being with a millionaire sports star provides her with. Any woman with an iota of self-respect would have been gone long ago.  Hockey player wives are 4 times out of 5 just eye-candy and arm trophies. Neither of them would be there, in most cases, if there wasn't the $$$.

6 minutes ago, mineral said:

The complete cynic in me thinks that's despite being regularly assaulted by her partner and father of her recent child, this woman is probably willing to tolerate quite a bit to live the lifestyle that being with a millionaire sports star provides her with. Any woman with an iota of self-respect would have been gone long ago.  Hockey player wives are 4 times out of 5 just eye-candy and arm trophies. Neither of them would be there, in most cases, if there wasn't the $$$.

As someone who now works with battered women, the statement of "Any woman with an iota of self-respect would have been gone long ago" is completely wrong. 

Many, many women go back time and time again thinking that their abuser is going to change and it will never happen again.  There is a certain amount of stockholm syndrome that often happens in these cases.  And its not just Hockey players wives where this happens.  I see it every day. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As someone who now works with battered women, the statement of "Any woman with an iota of self-respect would have been gone long ago" is completely wrong. 

Many, many women go back time and time again thinking that their abuser is going to change and it will never happen again.  There is a certain amount of stockholm syndrome that often happens in these cases.  And its not just Hockey players wives where this happens.  I see it every day. 

Completely wrong? I doubt that, as much as i doubt your capacity to speak authoritatively on the subject because you "now" rub elbows with victims of domestic abuse. I should have used the term many instead of any.  Self-esteem and self-respect issues are as commonplace, if not more prevalent, than symptoms of Stockholm syndrome, as well as a litany of others psychological issues. So there is a strong degree of truth even if i framed it incorrectly.   

13 minutes ago, mineral said:

Completely wrong? I doubt that, as much as i doubt your capacity to speak authoritatively on the subject because you "now" rub elbows with victims of domestic abuse. I should have used the term many instead of any.  Self-esteem and self-respect issues are as commonplace, if not more prevalent, than symptoms of Stockholm syndrome, as well as a litany of others psychological issues. So there is a strong degree of truth even if i framed it incorrectly.   

There is lots of research on the subject.  Sorry But I'm not playing the victim blame game. 

I googled... women stay with abusers

Here is literally the first page. If you go farther you can find even more.  There are literally thousands of articles.  Its not as easy to leave an abusive relationship as you think. 

Feel free to educate yourself on the subject. 

http://www.thehotline.org/is-this-abuse/why-do-people-stay-in-abusive-relationships/

https://ifstudies.org/blog/eight-reasons-women-stay-in-abusive-relationships

http://asafeplace.website/education/why-women-stay/

https://www.joinonelove.org/learn/why_leaving_abuse_is_hard/

http://time.com/3309687/why-women-stay-in-abusive-relationships/

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/reports/what-makes-a-confident-successful-woman-stay-in-an-abusive-relationship-6935

https://theconversation.com/abusive-relationships-why-its-so-hard-for-women-to-just-leave-93449

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2016/05/11/8-steps-that-explain-why-women-stay-in-abusive-relationships/

https://www.news-leader.com/story/opinion/editorials/2018/04/27/why-women-stay-abusive-relationships-and-what-we-can-teach-children/553212002/

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I can paste quotes as well...

The statement reads: 'Marta was stunned by the news today and she is devastated. She did not believe, and does not believe, that her husband intended to injure her and she believes that he is not guilty of any crime. 

'She is worried about her family's privacy and concerned that she and her family are going to be subjected to ridicule, embarrassment and hatred because of this decision. 

'In fact, she has already seen that beginning to happen. 

'It is unfortunate that no one seemed to care what she wants, and that the authorities gave little or no weight to her view of the facts of the case. 

'Despite this unwelcome news, she still expects her husband to be cleared of any criminal wrongdoing.' 

That was in 2014-15. It’s 2018 and there’s never been any news involving her name since.

The Physical evidence and the neighbours who witnessed things (the screaming), those who saw the punch outside of the bar, the medical experts... all of them say that the evidence is consistent with her original statement. 

That she recanted and later said it was an accident, is often a feature of domestic abuse cases. 

But sure, he pled guilty and spent two months in jail, had his green card and visa revoked for nothing. 

And now for something completely different;

Which centre should or will Habs overpay for Bozak, Stastny or O'Reilly?

Would Stastny accept a short term deal?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DON said:

I would like ROR but we will probably get Bozak :( 

13 minutes ago, DON said:

None. Perron took a handful of faceoffs last year, he's probably qualified to handle C duties for the Habs.

/s (this seems to be needed before I get chastised for a ridiculous response by some of the commentariat)

• Upvote 1

McKenzie is saying it would not be a surprise to have Plekanec back with the Habs July 1st.

So there's your 3rd line center. Danault is probably 2nd line. Who will be 1st line?

24 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

McKenzie is saying it would not be a surprise to have Plekanec back with the Habs July 1st.

So there's your 3rd line center. Danault is probably 2nd line. Who will be 1st line?

Sigh

Its sad that the point of why Voynov should be treated like a floating turd in a pool has to even be discussed.

He is a garbage human being, crossing a line that should never be crossed, and no he does not deserve to make a living in the NHL, and he especially should not be tarnishing a storied franchise's reputation by being part of it in any way, shape, or form.

I'd rather hear we are going to promote Marc Bergevin to President of Hockey Operations than hear we are even entertaining the idea of bringing in Voyonov

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Step one of my plan.... trade him for more picks at the deadline. 

Now for Spezza. 

Pleks will almost assuredly ask for a NTC, and I expect he'll get it.

20 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Pleks will almost assuredly ask for a NTC, and I expect he'll get it.

Doesn't mean he can't be asked to waive at the deadline and leave like he did this year

He's how old?

Guy probably wants a shot at a cup

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Its sad that the point of why Voynov should be treated like a floating turd in a pool has to even be discussed.

He is a garbage human being, crossing a line that should never be crossed, and no he does not deserve to make a living in the NHL, and he especially should not be tarnishing a storied franchise's reputation by being part of it in any way, shape, or form.

I'd rather hear we are going to promote Marc Bergevin to President of Hockey Operations than hear we are even entertaining the idea of bringing in Voyonov

Well, apparently the Habs and many other teams are/were entertaining the idea of bringing in Voynov. That’s why we’re talking about it.

It’s not up to you decide whether or not he should make a living in the NHL. You can voice your opinion, but it’s an extreme one and if he does indeed sign a contract in the NHL, many people will have disagreed with you. 

I’m done being criticized on a topic I’m not overly passionate about. I’m not a fan of what transpired. Let’s make that clear. But placing a hockey player on citizen’s arrest from the league is not how it works. He’ll be a good hockey player wherever he ends up. 

It’s also silly to think that adding a guy like Voynov would tarnish our storied franchise. We’re not exactly the talk of the league right now.  Adding question mark Radulov didn’t seem to hurt us, but I’m not allowed to say that because what happened off the ice “is not the same thing”.