Jump to content
Fanpuck33

Permanent Rumour Thread

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

I think either Laine or Gardiner would be a better fit (for our gaps) anyway so $11M for Marner doesn't make sense to me, either.

 

While I agree that our overall need upfront is a sniper like Laine we would do very well to add a high end player like Mariner and I would not hesitate to offer 11M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

 

I think either Laine or Gardiner would be a better fit (for our gaps) anyway so $11M for Marner doesn't make sense to me, either.

Marner was reportedly looking for Mathews money, so doubt $11m would get it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is zero chance that Bergevin sends another offer sheet. 

 

In an interview with Engles, Bergevin said giving up that many picks completely goes against his philosophy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Marner was reportedly looking for Mathews money, so doubt $11m would get it done.

 

Unless it was for one year.  To be honest, that's probably someone's best shot at getting him is one year at an amount that puts the Leafs in cap trouble now and doubles down on it with that $11M (or whatever it is, probably a bit less on a one-year offer if someone wants to go with less picks) serving as the qualifying offer for the next season.  He'd have arbitration eligibility at that time, giving him more leverage.  That's how to hurt Toronto if someone wanted to go that route.

 

21 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

There is zero chance that Bergevin sends another offer sheet. 

 

In an interview with Engles, Bergevin said giving up that many picks completely goes against his philosophy 

 

That interview was from before the start of the season - Engels just keeps pulling quotes from it to use in various articles over the past several months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Unless it was for one year.  To be honest, that's probably someone's best shot at getting him is one year at an amount that puts the Leafs in cap trouble now and doubles down on it with that $11M (or whatever it is, probably a bit less on a one-year offer if someone wants to go with less picks) serving as the qualifying offer for the next season.  He'd have arbitration eligibility at that time, giving him more leverage.  That's how to hurt Toronto if someone wanted to go that route.

 

 

That interview was from before the start of the season - Engels just keeps pulling quotes from it to use in various articles over the past several months.

Well, the offer he made for Aho seems to be following that trend. 

 

I don't like Bergevin, but I do understand where he's coming from with not wanting to give up four, first rounders. Chevy and Bergevin are also buddies, so even more unlikely for Laine. 

Edited by Habber31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

 

I think either Laine or Gardiner would be a better fit (for our gaps) anyway so $11M for Marner doesn't make sense to me, either.

Marner is a superstar.  I would take marner over both laine and Gardiner combined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Marner is a superstar.  I would take marner over both laine and Gardiner combined. 

 

Yes, but he would end up being a superstar playmaker without a sniper that would put the puck in the net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

 

Yes, but he would end up being a superstar playmaker without a sniper that would put the puck in the net.

They have got  Gallagher, Domi, Drouin, Tatar, Byron.  Having said that if a trade was made, we’d probably have to give up one of Drouin or Gallagher along with some like Weber if it is a trade,

 

Depending on how Poehling or suziki look like in camp, we could try him with one of the kids as well.

 

If a trade doesn’t work, I’d be perfectly fine with putting forth a 1 or 2 year offer sheet for $12m (I believe that is what Mathews is getting over 5 years) and lose the 4 picks.  That may force the leafs to take the picks, or make a trade.

 

Marner could of potentially be better than Mathews.  Need another couple of years to figure that out.  He is a franchise player.  I hate I really hate right now is the leafs have 3 franchise player and a dman that is close (again more time is needed to make the judgement on Reilly).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

If he wants a cheap one year deal (say under 2 million) to be a #6 or 7 guy and power play specialist, I say hell yes.

I mean 10 minutes at 5v5 plus power play time, he'd be a real asset and I doubt we would have one of the worst PPs in the league again.  The value there is immense.  

He might have slowed a bit, but he'd still be able to take sheltered ES minutes against 3rd and 4th lines and would teach a guy like Juulsen.  Juulsen is a good defender to put with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

If he wants a cheap one year deal (say under 2 million) to be a #6 or 7 guy and power play specialist, I say hell yes.

I mean 10 minutes at 5v5 plus power play time, he'd be a real asset and I doubt we would have one of the worst PPs in the league again.  The value there is immense.  

He might have slowed a bit, but he'd still be able to take sheltered ES minutes against 3rd and 4th lines and would teach a guy like Juulsen.  Juulsen is a good defender to put with him. 

No thanks on Gonchar 2.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The annual million dollar gamble. I could see it end like Plekanec and Streit, with a mutually agreed contract termination. Get his handful of games in for 1000, then call it a career.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

No thanks on Gonchar 2.0.

 

You saw our Power Play last year, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

You saw our Power Play last year, right?

And how many PP points did he have last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget about  Marner, he plays for his home town team. He doesn't want to go anywhere so he won't be signing any offer sheet. He's going to stay in Toronto long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DON said:

And how many PP points did he have last year?

 

I'm pretty sure he didn't forget how to stickhandle, pass and shoot.

 

You don't have to be fast to run a power play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have to wait until after the arbitation before any possible ”caphelper”-trades from the habs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm pretty sure he didn't forget how to stickhandle, pass and shoot.

Well, with all of 14 points last year, it seems he must have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

It would not be a bad move

No, horrible and backwards, would seem better description.

I really cant see why anyone would be for this? Other than sentimentality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Do we have to wait until after the arbitation before any possible ”caphelper”-trades from the habs?

I don't see the habs doing any cap helper type trades. They have Domi they need to resign next year and Kotkaniemi the year after.  Their keeping the cap space free for those contracts.

  It seems to me that they are looking into the future more then they are into the now. If this is the case with the organization then we should just trade Price and Weber now well we can still get a high return back for them. Let them try and win a cup in a organization that's making a push for a  cup run. Their are teams that would pay a high price now to add a Weber or Price to their teams cup push,  Rather than just have them waste anyway knowing that their not commented to making a cup run anytime soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

No, horrible and backwards, would seem better description.

I really cant see why anyone would be for this? Other than sentimentality.

Power play. He can still play 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

Power play. He can still play 

In a beer league maybe. And exactly what makes you think he can still play at NHL level?

His lack of any offense in a inferior league, or increased injuries and decreasing games played/yr?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DON thought Markov was washed up in 2010 and has been saying that ever since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DON said:

In a beer league maybe. And exactly what makes you think he can still play at NHL level?

His lack of any offense in a inferior league, or increased injuries and decreasing games played/yr?

 

I don’t know if he can play or not. Given our current situation with the cap I would be willing to risk a couple of Molson’s millions to find out.

 

A PTO would be an even better option if Markov would accept it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DON said:

No, horrible and backwards, would seem better description.

I really cant see why anyone would be for this? Other than sentimentality.

 

Nah that is being presumptuous, It's not sentimentality if he is brought in to be in and out of the line up as needed and not a relied upon top 5 option, it is an option that could and should be considered, even if you don't end up going for it.  

 

I'm just saying, we have to be open minded to these types of things because they cannot hurt us if we are using it for the right reasons. If he comes in super cheap on a 1 year deal to be an "assistant coach" who still plays, and only gets about 30 to 40 games in a limited specialist role, while influencing certain parts of his game that were very effective onto the others during practices, it's fine by me. If we are looking at him as a stop gap for the top 5 in any capacity,who may need to play almost every game instead of being out there hunting for a legitimate top 4 LD, then that's a problem. I seriously doubt they would consider the latter, but this regime has stunned me before with this type of thinking, I just feel more confident that they have learned from past mistakes and doubt that is a road we travel again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...