Jump to content
Fanpuck33

Permanent Rumour Thread

Recommended Posts

I know it's Eklund so likelihood it is actually happening is close to zero.. but what would it cost Montreal to trade for Laine?

 

And how good would Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Laine be??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I know it's Eklund so likelihood it is actually happening is close to zero.. but what would it cost Montreal to trade for Laine?

 

And how good would Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Laine be??

They lost a lot of D so I would imagine they would want one back in a trade, plus a someone that scores back also.

 

Tatar + Juulsen or Mete + 1st round pick 

 

Maybe that might get it done. But I don't see us being a good fit for a trade because we're weak at D.  But I can see a team Like Philadelphia pulling off a trade for him. They got the parts that jets might be looking for back in a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

DON thought Markov was washed up in 2010 and has been saying that ever since. 

Not sure about that one, but cant understand what would make you think any different now? I always liked him and got nothing against him, but his time to hang em up is near or here now.

Habs already have six 3rd/4th pairing d-men, so really is no spot to sit him on bench waiting to send him out for a PP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure about that one, but cant understand what would make you think any different now? I always liked him and got nothing against him, but his time to hang em up is near or here now.

Habs already have six 3rd/4th pairing d-men, so really is no spot to sit him on bench waiting to send him out for a PP.

But a Markov on one leg, with a blindfold can do wonders for the current PP, so imagine how good it would be with his eyes open and him skating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

Not sure about that one, but cant understand what would make you think any different now? I always liked him and got nothing against him, but his time to hang em up is near or here now.

Habs already have six 3rd/4th pairing d-men, so really is no spot to sit him on bench waiting to send him out for a PP.

I was just kidding as youve been against markov since before he left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I was just kidding as youve been against markov since before he left.

Was more against Markov's agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

people/ fans/ critics across the NHL never gave this guy enough credit. I recall our team being substantially below .500 when he was out of the line up and vastly improved when he was in.

 

I havent watched him play a single game since leaving. But i do recall that after 7 straight seasons of most claiming is imminent self destruction he continued to defy the odds. He finshed that season on the #1 pair and he and Weber were actually one of the better pairs in the league. Shame we lost that NYR series as we outplayed but couldnt score at all...

 

i wouldnt mind seeing him on the habs next year at any capacity. im sure he can still play... might even be more refreshed after playing shorter, less grueling hockey seasons. hes a General for a reason.

 

Also note that we have yet to make the playoffs since he left!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Markov on the team but I agree there is a lot of sentimentality going on. He’s much older now and did slow down last season. The problem would not be having Markov on the team. I’d love it. The issue would be mainly that we would still be fixing the same hole that was created when he left. We need a left handed defenceman or two who are clearly higher than him on the depth chart. We need to focus on acquiring a better LD than him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would Love if Markov can hit 1001 NHL games played as a Hab and then have him as an Assistant Coach in the system be it in Laval or on the Team. He would be like having BigBird Larry teaching the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I would Love if Markov can hit 1001 NHL games played as a Hab and then have him as an Assistant Coach in the system be it in Laval or on the Team. He would be like having BigBird Larry teaching the kids.

Why can't we just bring home Larry back to the fold instead? Seems like where ever he goes his teams make it to the finals.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I havent watched him play a single game since leaving.

 

. im sure he can still play...

What makes you think that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I want Markov on the team but I agree there is a lot of sentimentality going on. He’s much older now and did slow down last season. The problem would not be having Markov on the team. I’d love it. The issue would be mainly that we would still be fixing the same hole that was created when he left. We need a left handed defenceman or two who are clearly higher than him on the depth chart. We need to focus on acquiring a better LD than him. 

Hey hey hey! Agree 100% and great to hear some sanity.:B)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Metallica said:

Why can't we just bring home Larry back to the fold instead? Seems like where ever he goes his teams make it to the finals.

i been asking that for YearS!!! and every time he switches team my soul dies a bit more :_(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Markov. But why are we even talking about him now? This isn't 2010 or even 2015. When he is 50 and playing in a Russian beer-league, are will still going to have posts and rumours about bringing him back?

 

Eller is a perfectly good 3rd line C, but we're pretty deep at C. I never understood all the fan love for that guy. It originated in the misguided belief that he could be a top-6 C for us. Despite all the whining, the Habs were proven correct in their assessment that was not a top-6 C. That should have ended the love affair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I love Markov. But why are we even talking about him now? This isn't 2010 or even 2015. When he is 50 and playing in a Russian beer-league, are will still going to have posts and rumours about bringing him back?

 

Eller is a perfectly good 3rd line C, but we're pretty deep at C. I never understood all the fan love for that guy. It originated in the misguided belief that he could be a top-6 C for us. Despite all the whining, the Habs were proven correct in their assessment that was not a top-6 C. That should have ended the love affair.

the difference would be that Eller has never been more then a #3C. Markov on the other hand has been a top pair guy essentially his whole career. If he didn't miss 4 seasons due to back to back knees as well as lockouts he'd be #2 all time hab Dman behind the Big Bird. He's the exception to the rule I would think. He's been defying the odds Habs fan have put on him since he returned.

Just those 4 missed seasons alone let alone the last 2 soft scheduled seasons in the KHL would of shaved tonnes of mileage on that guys engine alone.

 

Anyways, id take him as a depth D man but knowing CJ,  he'll end up using Markov as the #2 by game 5 of the season. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

the difference would be that Eller has never been more then a #3C. Markov on the other hand has been a top pair guy essentially his whole career. If he didn't miss 4 seasons due to back to back knees as well as lockouts he'd be #2 all time hab Dman behind the Big Bird. He's the exception to the rule I would think. He's been defying the odds Habs fan have put on him since he returned.

Just those 4 missed seasons alone let alone the last 2 soft scheduled seasons in the KHL would of shaved tonnes of mileage on that guys engine alone.

 

Anyways, id take him as a depth D man but knowing CJ,  he'll end up using Markov as the #2 by game 5 of the season. 

 

 

 

 

Time to move on, the CH has sufficient D depth.

Markov cannot defend any better than Alzner at this point.

too expensive as a PP specialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Time to move on, the CH has sufficient D depth.

Markov cannot defend any better than Alzner at this point.

too expensive as a PP specialist

I'm not defending a Markov signing, but he had one of the best sticks in hockey, when it came to making defense plays. I guarantee he can still play the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

 I guarantee he can still play the game. 

If so, we should see one of 30 other teams sign him then. If not, we wont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 points in 49 games playing for something called the "Kazan Ak-Bars" - a huge drop off in production after 33 in 55 the year previous. 

 

Alzner is probably a better overall player at this stage of General's career.

 

What this noatalgia for Markov is really about is the Habs' dumb decision to let him walk three years ago, when we had no adequate LD replacement and he could still play. There was no hockey reason to 'move on' from one of the best Habs of his benighted era. But just because Bergevin made a characteristically petty and dumb-ass decision back then, it doesn't follow that bringing Markov back three years later makes any sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

14 points in 49 games playing for something called the "Kazan Ak-Bars" - a huge drop off in production after 33 in 55 the year previous. 

 

Alzner is probably a better overall player at this stage of General's career.

 

What this noatalgia for Markov is really about is the Habs' dumb decision to let him walk three years ago, when we had no adequate LD replacement and he could still play. There was no hockey reason to 'move on' from one of the best Habs of his benighted era. But just because Bergevin made a characteristically petty and dumb-ass decision back then, it doesn't follow that bringing Markov back three years later makes any sense.

Not signing Radulov was a terrible decision too. He was a driving force on this team's offense and literally the only forward to show up in the playoffs. Bergevin let a top line winger walk because of a million dollar difference in Radulov's salary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Not signing Radulov was a terrible decision too. He was a driving force on this team's offense and literally the only forward to show up in the playoffs. Bergevin let a top line winger walk because of a million dollar difference in Radulov's salary 

 

Asinine decisions, but the Habs fanbase showed its true colours the following season, mindlessly getting excited about a team that missed the playoffs. There is no need for accountability and therefore no reason to excel.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Asinine decisions, but the Habs fanbase showed its true colours the following season, mindlessly getting excited about a team that missed the playoffs. There is no need for accountability and therefore no reason to excel.

This forum actually really surprises me with the support of Bergevin. 3 of the last 4 season, no playoffs, yet still we hope for the best. Hard to knock optimism, but is it false... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Asinine decisions, but the Habs fanbase showed its true colours the following season, mindlessly getting excited about a team that missed the playoffs. There is no need for accountability and therefore no reason to excel.

 

I was one of those Habs  fans that mindlessly got excited last season and I make no apologies for it. I am a Habs fan so I am excited to see them improving.  I am excited about the kids coming up. I don't get excited when we overpay for free agents. Does anyone really know how much it would have cost to keep Radulov? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

This forum actually really surprises me with the support of Bergevin. 3 of the last 4 season, no playoffs, yet still we hope for the best. Hard to knock optimisum, but is it false... 

 

I think there is support for Bergevin because he has done a much better job the last year or so of starting to turn things around.  He has built the prospect pool to the point where it is one of the better ones in the NHL.  Sure he made some bonehead moves in his earlier years as a GM but he seems to have learned his lesson.  I am much more supportive of MB than I was a couple years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...