Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

7 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Take it for what it is, but Drouin's name is scattered everywhere in trade rumours. Even Bergevin said they need more from him.

I would honestly like to see him start the year with the Habs. He does have a ton of talent... 

Here's a more general question: what is the Bergevin regime's track record when it comes to rumour control? If MB-related rumours start spreading like wild-fire, is that a fairly reliable sign that something is cooking? I think organizations vary with respect to this. (The contrast is with Gainey, who ran his ship tight as a drum. When rumours went crazy around Bob, they were seldom borne out; or at least that's my recollection.)

I even remember offering, on this site, a carefully-argued post explaining why we should trade Koivu for Marleau, and how that trade would help both teams. Within a week or two, a rumour had gone viral that the Habs were trading Koivu for Marleau. Bob eventually came out and said he called Doug Wilson to joke with him about the rumour. This may be insane of me, but I've always suspected that my post got picked up and hit the rumour mill. It all started, to paraphrase MB, with some guy typing away in his study in suburban Vancouver. 🤐

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Here's a more general question: what is the Bergevin regime's track record when it comes to rumour control? If MB-related rumours start spreading like wild-fire, is that a fairly reliable sign that something is cooking? I think organizations vary with respect to this. (The contrast is with Gainey, who ran his ship tight as a drum. When rumours went crazy around Bob, they were seldom borne out; or at least that's my recollection.)

Bergevin works the phones more than any GM, so there can be a lot of smoke before there is a fire. He's no Gainey though. If a player's name is uttered in trade rumours by the main trade breakers (McKenzie, Friedman) or the team reporters (Engels, Basu) then rest assured that player is in progressing trade discussions. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Habber31 said:

How did he squash the rumour? Nowhere in that did he definitively say "weren't not shopping Drouin". He just deflected the question.

Really?

You can argue Bergevin has been less than truthful before.. ie "im not shopping subban." A few days before trading him.

But you cant really argue his quote isnt saying the rumours are bullshit.

His statement is clearly quashing the rumour.  No need to.argue semantics about it.

The only thing you can say if you really want tp hold onto.that... is to say hes lied before.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Really?

You can argue Bergevin has been less than truthful before.. ie "im not shopping subban." A few days before trading him.

But you cant really argue his quote isnt saying the rumours are bullshit.

His statement is clearly quashing the rumour.  No need to.argue semantics about it.

The only thing you can say if you really want tp hold onto.that... is to say hes lied before.

A g.m will publicly say a certain player IS NOT on the market, to completely squash a rumour. That never came out of his mouth, did it? 

Bergevin can't look like a liar at this point, with all of the opener door stuff going on with this franchise. 

With the emergence of Suzuki and Poehling, I'd almost guarantee that Bergevin has spoken with people about  a Drouin trade for a D-man

I think you are both right, but is of zero use for a GM to say publically what his plan is and am sure he has "spoken" to other GMs about Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, Poehling, Suzuki and Drouin, but actually shopping them, who knows but a handful of indsiders and other GMs of course.

If he is shopping Drouin for a LD then he is merely doing what any sensible GM would do. And I'd give him credit for not being afraid of the PR embarassment of admitting the initial trade was a 'fail,' not to mention trading away a francophone. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Habber31 said:

A g.m will publicly say a certain player IS NOT on the market, to completely squash a rumour. That never came out of his mouth, did it? 

He said the reports were B.S.

Now you are just arguing semantics 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If he is shopping Drouin for a LD then he is merely doing what any sensible GM would do. And I'd give him credit for not being afraid of the PR embarassment of admitting the initial trade was a 'fail,' not to mention trading away a francophone. We'll see.

I almost felt like when Subban got traded from Nashville, it opened up the door a bit. The whole P. R shit took a back seat, to bettering the team. 

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/playlist/87/listen-17420.html?cb=1569534084.403170

22 hours ago, Habber31 said:

I almost felt like when Subban got traded from Nashville, it opened up the door a bit. The whole P. R shit took a back seat, to bettering the team. 

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/playlist/87/listen-17420.html?cb=1569534084.403170

That trade had nothing to do with bettering the team, and did not in fact do so (unless you count 3 out of 4 years of missing the playoffs as "improvement"), but I'm not gonna open that can of worms again 🙄 Let's just see what happens with Drouin. If MB has the integrity to flip him for a quality LD, rather than refuse to admit his mistake in trading Sergachev for him, that will definitely count as a point in his favour.

I may not have worded that properly. I was comparing Poile as a g. m. When Subban got traded from Nashville, poilie did not care if people said he lost the Subban- Weber trade. He did what had to be done to make his team better; which was trading Subban, to clear cap space. 

22 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

I may not have worded that properly. I was comparing Poile as a g. m. When Subban got traded from Nashville, poilie did not care if people said he lost the Subban- Weber trade. He did what had to be done to make his team better; which was trading Subban, to clear cap space. 

Ah, gotcha. I doubt that Poile feels he lost that trade, especially as he would likely have traded Weber this summer had he not moved him for Subban in 2015; but in any case, let's move along.

6 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Lots of players on Waivers today.. any room in Montreal for Josh Ho-Sang or Matt Tennyson?

Tennyson looks like a reliable 5th/6th Dman which MB loves!

Which player do we want to waive to have the roster space to claim them (assuming we don't want to send Fleury or Suzuki to the minors to create that roster room)?

I don't see either as an upgrade on what we are already carrying.  If you claim a guy on waivers it won't be to put Ho-Sang in Laval, you have to keep him in Montreal. 

He's also not exactly a "character" guy. 

4 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Lots of players on Waivers today.. any room in Montreal for Josh Ho-Sang or Matt Tennyson?

Tennyson looks like a reliable 5th/6th Dman which MB loves!

Tennyson is a reliable 5th/6th D at the AHL level.  He's a #8/9 option at best in the NHL when injuries strike.  Think of how bad Buffalo's defence was last season, then consider that he was deemed worthy of a call-up for only four games.  I don't think there is a d-man on waivers today that would crack Montreal's top-six on a full-time basis.  (Carl Dahlstrom is one that intrigues me though.)

No interest in Ho-Sang either.  For all the talk about his offensive upside, his career high in goals in the AHL is a whopping 10.  He's not worth the baggage that will come with him. 

• 3 weeks later...

Elliotte Friedman thinks Montreal was looking at Pittsburgh defenseman Juuso Riikola. 

Until presented with contrary evidence, I think we need to start assuming Bergevin's plan for a top left-side defenseman is to literally Frankenstein Monster one out of as many bottom pairing D he can get his hands on.

Somebody please stop this man.