Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

On 10/16/2019 at 3:20 PM, Trizzak said:

If this is the contrary evidence, then I prefer the Monster idea... Vlasic is signed at 7 mill til he's 40!

Sharks seem like an odd team to be scouting.  Not much on the left side that is better than what the Habs already have.  Vlasic (NMC), Dillon, and Ferraro, with Simek on IR and Middleton on LTIR.  Even their LD prospects are just OK with Kniazev leading the pack.

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Is Alzner going the other way? 

Even if Alzner were going the other way, I still wouldn't want Vlasic.  Vlasic would be more useful now, but in a few years he'll be Alzner all over again.  I'd rather just let Alzner's contract run out and move on or trade him for another team's bad contract with similar term and cap hit in the hopes of a better fit.

5 hours ago, John B said:

Sharks seem like an odd team to be scouting.  Not much on the left side that is better than what the Habs already have.  Vlasic (NMC), Dillon, and Ferraro, with Simek on IR and Middleton on LTIR.  Even their LD prospects are just OK with Kniazev leading the pack.

Given Bergevin's affinity for physical stay-at-home players, the fact that he's a rental player, and San Jose's complete lack of cap room, I suspect Brenden Dillon is who they're looking at.  He's a better fit on the third pairing but has played higher in a pinch and he's the type of player that might be a better fit for Julien than someone like Reilly.  I don't have much interest in him myself but Vlasic isn't a likely target for the contract and Ferraro's a rookie so if they're looking at LD's, that leaves Dillon.

The Habs are once again linked to Russian winger Konstantin Okulov per Chris Johnston on Saturday Headlines.  He mentions that many teams consider Toronto and Montreal the heavy favourites to the point where they're wondering if it's even worth pursuing him.  Montreal was linked to him a year ago but he was still under contract in the KHL.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/160611/konstantin-okulov

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs are once again linked to Russian winger Konstantin Okulov per Chris Johnston on Saturday Headlines.  He mentions that many teams consider Toronto and Montreal the heavy favourites to the point where they're wondering if it's even worth pursuing him.  Montreal was linked to him a year ago but he was still under contract in the KHL.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/160611/konstantin-okulov

Where would he slot in on roster?

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Probably a third line winger role to start and then adjust from there depending on how he performed.

Do we really need another third-line winger? Unless his potential is significantly higher than that.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Do we really need another third-line winger? Unless his potential is significantly higher than that.

the right wing could use dept I think but yeah left wing is kinda full, you right (lolll right!) aboot that :)

8 hours ago, dlbalr said:

What is the going rate for a 21 year old who was drafted 100th overall, made the team unexpectedly out of camp as a 19 year old,  went on to play in a top pairing but also set the Habs record for longest streak without a goal to start a career and creates virtually no offense? Anywhere from 1m to 4m seems reasonable to me

11 hours ago, illWill said:

What is the going rate for a 21 year old who was drafted 100th overall, made the team unexpectedly out of camp as a 19 year old,  went on to play in a top pairing but also set the Habs record for longest streak without a goal to start a career and creates virtually no offense? Anywhere from 1m to 4m seems reasonable to me

Boy, I think $4 mil would be nuts. Half of that, I can see. Mete isn't bad, but he has been the most direct beneficiary of MB's comical inability to fill glaring roster holes. Add a legitimate top-pairing LD and see what happens to Mete's profile.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boy, I think $4 mil would be nuts. Half of that, I can see. Mete isn't bad, but he has been the most direct beneficiary of MB's comical inability to fill glaring roster holes. Add a legitimate top-pairing LD and see what happens to Mete's profile.

It's the ice time that will boost Mete's price tag.  The Habs can't use him alongside Shea Weber and then argue in contract talks that he's a support player that should be making Kulak money or less.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's the ice time that will boost Mete's price tag.  The Habs can't use him alongside Shea Weber and then argue in contract talks that he's a support player that should be making Kulak money or less.

Yes indeed. But this is sort of my point. Mete is getting that ice because the team does not have a legit top-2 - maybe not even a legit top-4 - LD. An inflated salary for Mete on grounds of his ice-time will be one more regrettable consequence of MB's chronic inability to add a quality LD. If and when we do add that LD, Mete will drop down the pecking order and suddenly we will be overpaying for a #5 d-man. MB's inaction is the gift that keeps on giving.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes indeed. But this is sort of my point. Mete is getting that ice because the team does not have a legit top-2 - maybe not even a legit top-4 - LD. An inflated salary for Mete on grounds of his ice-time will be one more regrettable consequence of MB's chronic inability to add a quality LD. If and when we do add that LD, Mete will drop down the pecking order and suddenly we will be overpaying for a #5 d-man. MB's inaction is the gift that keeps on giving.

Yep and right now Chariot looks as useless as Alzner.  So much for the arguement back in August that there was lots of time and D we had in August wouldn’t be what we had in our opening lineup.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yep and right now Chariot looks as useless as Alzner.  So much for the arguement back in August that there was lots of time and D we had in August wouldn’t be what we had in our opening lineup.

Chiarot is pretty awful. I don't just throw that term around, but there is literally no need for him on this tea. He's the exact opposite of a puck moving D. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed, Mete hasn't done enough to even come close to 4 million a year,  a good skater with a lot of potential but has a long way to go. I am thinking maybe 2 - 2.5, depending on the term.  On a deeper team he would have spent time in the AHL. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

4mill is ridiculous. He's not getting 4 million 

The only thing making him unworthy of 4 million is his points total. If he breaks out of that  points wilderness and can somehow get to 35 points this year. I wouldn't  be surprised if he gets a substantial increase. The fact remains he's played a tonne of hockey in the NHL. All the while against the upper tier of forwards and doesn't look that much out of place. And he's 20. I think he gets 3 million at the very least, especially if he remains with weber all season and doesn't falter.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

The only thing making him unworthy of 4 million is his points total. If he breaks out of that  points wilderness and can somehow get to 35 points this year. I wouldn't  be surprised if he gets a substantial increase. The fact remains he's played a tonne of hockey in the NHL. All the while against the upper tier of forwards and doesn't look that much out of place. And he's 20. I think he gets 3 million at the very least, especially if he remains with weber all season and doesn't falter.

I see Mete in the 25pt total or under. To me his an 2.5mil $ guy not a 4.

On 10/29/2019 at 2:09 PM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He gets a ton of minutes because the Habs LD is a dumpster fire. 

On 10/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, BCHabnut said:

1.75 to 2.25 is all ge should get. He's a third pair guy on most teams. 

True. And it is all too characteristic of crappy teams that they end up overpaying for medicorities because they have no alternative but to give those mediocrities massive ice time. That's how the Canucks ended up signing Ben Hutton at almost $3 million per. To quote Admiral Akhbar: it's a trap. 

It certainly seems like the Habs are still interested in someone from San Jose:

I still think it's Brendan Dillon that's being looked at as someone that can be thrown into the LD mix that shouldn't cost a whole lot to acquire.  In other words, an incremental short-term upgrade.  Mellanby has also been spotted in LA recently and there is speculation that Alec Martinez may be made available at some point but a lot of teams will be going after him.