Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I still think it's Brendan Dillon that's being looked at as someone that can be thrown into the LD mix that shouldn't cost a whole lot to acquire.  In other words, an incremental short-term upgrade.  Mellanby has also been spotted in LA recently and there is speculation that Alec Martinez may be made available at some point but a lot of teams will be going after him. 

A short-term upgrade for the third pair? Better than Reilly? Neither one looks like an obvious upgrade for Mete or Kulak.

56 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A short-term upgrade for the third pair? Better than Reilly? Neither one looks like an obvious upgrade for Mete or Kulak.

Given that Kulak has been a healthy scratch more than once this season, I suspect this really is about 'upgrading' on him. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He gets a ton of minutes because the Habs LD is a dumpster fire. 

I still remember the posts during the summer about not to worry about the lack of moves - there’s still lots of time until training camp ow start of that the season to make additions.

yet here we are still a bubble team with big holes and wondering if it the bubble will burst on a playoff spot. But hey  at least the boys are trying and and not getting blown away anymore.  That’s the goal now be entertaining- who care about the cup because if you get on the playoffs anything can happen🙄

I still get a kick about using the blues from from last year as an example.  Big difference is that the changes they made before the start of last year had them pegged as a contender, but it took a coaching change to get the chemistry right. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given that Kulak has been a healthy scratch more than once this season, I suspect this really is about 'upgrading' on him. 

I expect you may be right on this. But even so it doesn't look like a major upgrade. Maybe better than the Olofsson option?

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

Max Domi who might be considering a three-year bridge deal at around $6.5 million per season. If so, that would carry him right into unrestricted free agency where he could sign a massive long-term contract extension.

Max Domi, Montreal Canadiens
Max Domi, Montreal Canadiens (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

6.5 seems about right. That said, in the early going this season, he is on a 57-point pace - not exactly a golden ticket to a "massive long-term contract."

18 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

6.5 seems about right. That said, in the early going this season, he is on a 57-point pace - not exactly a golden ticket to a "massive long-term contract."

The rest of the article said the Habs might be looking more towards a long terms deal. 8.5, was a number that was thrown out there. 

Domi has not impressed me enough, to get to the 8.5. He looks a lot like the "Arizona" Domi, thus far. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

His most effective combination last year was a line with Lehkonen and Shaw. He widely outscored both. This year he has been playing with Drouin and Armia, and the points of those three are well balanced.

On the power play, Domi is doing much better this year (a rising tide lifts all boats?), it's the 5-on-5 production that has dropped.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

His most effective combination last year was a line with Lehkonen and Shaw. He widely outscored both. This year he has been playing with Drouin and Armia, and the points of those three are well balanced.

On the power play, Domi is doing much better this year (a rising tide lifts all boats?), it's the 5-on-5 production that has dropped.

I think the point is that, much as I like Domi, I'd want to see whether last year was an outlier before throwing 8.5 at him. This is surely a case where a bridge deal makes sense (unless he wants to sign long-term at a reasonable rate like Subban wanted to, before MB played the nut-sack and insisted on a bridge, thus ensuring that PK would grab his balls and squeeze them for every last drop of blood when the time came; certainly I'd happily lock Domi up long term at 6.5).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think the point is that, much as I like Domi, I'd want to see whether last year was an outlier before throwing 8.5 at him. This is surely a case where a bridge deal makes sense (unless he wants to sign long-term at a reasonable rate like Subban wanted to, before MB played the nut-sack and insisted on a bridge, thus ensuring that PK would grab his balls and squeeze them for every last drop of blood when the time came; certainly I'd happily lock Domi up long term at 6.5).

Domi will get 8mil per year. Salaries are out of control in NHL right now. Domi fall's into that salary bracket.

The article from The Hockey Writers says the following:

Arpon Basu of The Athletic writes the Montreal Canadiens are negotiating with Max Domi who might be considering a three-year bridge deal at around $6.5 million per season. If so, that would carry him right into unrestricted free agency where he could sign a massive long-term contract extension.

Let's look at what was actually said.  In a mailbag column, he was asked to speculate on what a new Domi deal could cost and provided a few possible comparables:

Granlund signed for two years at $3-million a year – or a shade under Domi’s current $3.15-million a year – on July 1, 2015. He broke out in the second season of that contract with 69 points in 81 games and was rewarded with a three-year contract worth $5.75-million a year that will make him an unrestricted free agent this July at the age of 28.

That, to me, looks like something Domi might be interested in doing. Adjusted for inflation, let’s say Domi signs for three years at $6.5-million a year and hits UFA at age 28. That would give him the best chance to cash in large on another contract. If the Canadiens want to go longer-term, which I imagine they would, you could up the annual average value to $7.5 million on a five-year deal, allowing Domi to hit UFA at 30. It might even cost the Canadiens $8-million a year to go five years on the contract.

Nowhere in there does it say they're talking about a three-year deal.  Nowhere in there does it say they're talking at all.  It's a straight up guess as to what one potential framework of a deal could look like based on a current comparable contract. 

This isn't a rumour.  This is speculation taken wildly out of context.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

(unless he wants to sign long-term at a reasonable rate like Subban wanted to, before MB played the nut-sack and insisted on a bridge, thus ensuring that PK would grab his balls and squeeze them for every last drop of blood when the time came).

How did you work that ex hab into this...:rastapop:

57 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The article from The Hockey Writers says the following:

Let's look at what was actually said.  In a mailbag column, he was asked to speculate on what a new Domi deal could cost and provided a few possible comparables:

Nowhere in there does it say they're talking about a three-year deal.  Nowhere in there does it say they're talking at all.  It's a straight up guess as to what one potential framework of a deal could look like based on a current comparable contract. 

This isn't a rumour.  This is speculation taken wildly out of context.

I literally copy and pasted the article. It's speculation from a credible source. 

I guess i missed putting the Habs MIGHT be looking towards a long term deal. 

There's a fine line between speculation and rumour. No? 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just an obvious example of a GM stupidly insisting on a bridge deal, that's all...😘

You made the single greatest cardinal sin on this site, you mentioned the name of the one who's name no one is allowed to utter.... even though you it is a forum site and most reasonable, logical people would understand the comparable.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You made the single greatest cardinal sin on this site, you mentioned the name of the one who's name no one is allowed to utter.... even though you it is a forum site and most reasonable, logical people would understand the comparable.

:rolleyes:

I dont have a clue what Domi should get, i guess must be numerous comparable players arnt there?

But i do like them getting it done early, at 24 he seems to be a real impact player already.

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

I literally copy and pasted the article. It's speculation from a credible source. 

I guess i missed putting the Habs MIGHT be looking towards a long term deal. 

There's a fine line between speculation and rumour. No? 

There's nothing at all credible about a rumour from The Hockey Writers, especially when it is pulled entirely out of context.  It calls what Arpon Basu was brainstorming as a hypothetical as actual contract discussions.  It was literally an idea pulled out of thin air from a mailbag column.  To glean anything from that or to imply something might be happening based on that idea pulled out of thin air is entirely disingenuous writing and not the slightest bit credible.

This would an appropriate citation from what Basu wrote:

There are a variety of ways that the Habs could go with an extension for Domi.  One option could be to sign another short-term contract for a lower AAV than a long-term deal but would get him to unrestricted free agency sooner.  Basu suggests that Nashville's Mikael Granlund, who signed a three-year deal with a $5.75 million cap hit, could be used as a potential comparable.  Given the annual increase to the salary cap, that could push the comparable cap hit closer to the $6.5 million range.

That is a much more accurate aggregation of Basu's comment than "Max Domi might be considering a three-year bridge deal at around $6.5 million per season".

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There's nothing at all credible about a rumour from The Hockey Writers, especially when it is pulled entirely out of context.  It calls what Arpon Basu was brainstorming as a hypothetical as actual contract discussions.  It was literally an idea pulled out of thin air from a mailbag column.  To glean anything from that or to imply something might be happening based on that idea pulled out of thin air is entirely disingenuous writing and not the slightest bit credible.

This would an appropriate citation from what Basu wrote:

There are a variety of ways that the Habs could go with an extension for Domi.  One option could be to sign another short-term contract for a lower AAV than a long-term deal but would get him to unrestricted free agency sooner.  Basu suggests that Nashville's Mikael Granlund, who signed a three-year deal with a $5.75 million cap hit, could be used as a potential comparable.  Given the annual increase to the salary cap, that could push the comparable cap hit closer to the $6.5 million range.

That is a much more accurate aggregation of Basu's comment than "Max Domi might be considering a three-year bridge deal at around $6.5 million per season".

I wasn't trying to impose anything, trust me. I apologize 

It sparked a conversation on a dried up thread. No one was saying: "oh my God, Domi is getting a contract!? He probably is considering a 3 year deal, though. 

His contact negotiations/deal are inevitable and those numbers are on point as to what he'll probably land. I wasn't trying to make shit up, or pull specific things from an article. It's all in the realm of what he'll land. 

11 hours ago, DON said:

:rolleyes:

I dont have a clue what Domi should get, i guess must be numerous comparable players arnt there?

But i do like them getting it done early, at 24 he seems to be a real impact player already.

Are there also numerous comparables to what MB did in similar situations - other than overpaying for his “prized French pickup’ that cost us our future left D?  Where MB also overpaid on the contract to said French player who had done nothing to merit the term or dollars to appease the French media.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:47 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

I still get a kick about using the blues from from last year as an example.  Big difference is that the changes they made before the start of last year had them pegged as a contender, but it took a coaching change to get the chemistry right. 

That's similar to what people said about the #8 seed Kings that won the Cup.  They were stacked and a pre-season Cup favourite.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

That's similar to what people said about the #8 seed Kings that won the Cup.  They were stacked and a pre-season Cup favourite.

Yep it’s a big  difference having Doughty, kopitar, quick, brown, Carter, Williams, Richards and basically loaded at centre  vs having price, one elite dmen a couple of forwards and. A bunch of maybes supported by AHL’ers for the past 8 or 9 years.

It also helps making a coaching change at the right time MT shills have been fired qt most 3 years after getting hired. I won’t even go back to the old debate that he should never have been hired.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yep it’s a big  difference having Doughty, kopitar, quick, brown, Carter, Williams, Richards and basically loaded at centre  vs having price, one elite dmen a couple of forwards and. A bunch of maybes supported by AHL’ers for the past 8 or 9 years.

It also helps making a coaching change at the right time MT shills have been fired qt most 3 years after getting hired. I won’t even go back to the old debate that he should never have been hired.

Who was that elite dman? We've had solid dmen but none elite?! Unless you are counting Suban who had one career season that he has never reproduced.

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Who was that elite dman? We've had solid dmen but none elite?! Unless you are counting Suban who had one career season that he has never reproduced.

I think he means Weber. His main point is that the Habs are not positioned for a Cup run even if they squeak into the playoffs.

As for Subban, only a fool would deny that he was elite over several seasons. He does appear to have begun an early decline, however - both last season and this one, so far, represent definite drop-offs from his career norms.