Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 minute ago, Chris said:

All those fancy graphs doesn't change there record 

Never said they did. 

What they do is give an explanation for what is actually happening.  With that explanation you can determine how to fix the team. 

The stats and the explanation they provide as to what is actually happening are better than saying.... oh the team is soft, which just leads to a summer where you draft Michael McCarron and Connor Crisp, while also signing Douglas Murray and George Parros.  

Using the numbers is a better way to find solutions than feeding into narratives that aren't actually true.

I'm not making excuses, i'm looking for reasons and bringing actual evidence and facts to support why those reasons are correct.

Much better than to say numbers and facts don't matter, and here is this cliche and false narrative as to why they lost.  

Here is how you fix the team

fire MB, hire a competent GM with an actual plan. MB is 8 years into a 5 year plan, no other GM would be still around with his record, 

your head coach will miss the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years, new GM can decide his fate, kirk Mueller has been there a long time alos

fire the entire scouting department, wotk with the new GM on an actual direction

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Here is how you fix the team

fire MB, hire a competent GM with an actual plan. MB is 8 years into a 5 year plan, no other GM would be still around with his record, 

your head coach will miss the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years, new GM can decide his fate, kirk Mueller has been there a long time alos

fire the entire scouting department, wotk with the new GM on an actual direction

We have been over this so many times, for the first time in a while I am actually confident about the future because MB has finally realized he has to build through the draft and has many good young prospects. I can handle some losing with young guys who are going to get better. Can't undo what happened prior. 

MB is eight years into a 5 year plan ignores the fact that things changed in 2018.... 

He's in year 2 of a very different plan. 

This has been explained many times, that you keep ignoring it, doesn't change the fact that its true, and was well reported on at the time. 

You doi realize when MB was hired, he said he was building through the draft to compete long term, which is one of the reasons i liked the hire. He failed at it

Im not even even sure the last 2 years were great drafts, 

Suzuki trade was home run,

Poehling will be a solid 3rd liner for a decade, 

jury still out on KK, Brooke 

caufield and romanov will be good

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

New Jersey and Detroit have sucked against everyone else 

How does that change my point?  The Habs have struggled against those two teams.  It certainly hasn't been their "size" that has gotten the better of the Habs.... meanwhile two of the most dominant teams in the league... two teams that do have size, in St.Louis and Washington have 1 win over Montreal and 3 losses this year.  But sure, its size and softness that has been Montreal's problems. 

Facts >>> Narratives and Cliches

they are soft and small, you were discussing big teams and how they did 

those 2 small soft teams suck as well

The league is watered down with talent, the schedules and pint systems are set up to keep average and below average teams around, and bad teams are still bad teams, 

That is management, coaching and drafting 

You can be as unconvinced about the team's drafting as you want.  Every actual analyst out there, comparing the Habs to other teams, sees an excellent prospect pool being built.    I think I'll take their analysis over yours, no offence meant.

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

they are soft and small, you were discussing big teams and how they did 

those 2 small soft teams suck as well

The league is watered down with talent, the schedules and pint systems are set up to keep average and below average teams around, and bad teams are still bad teams, 

That is management, coaching and drafting 

The habs might be small, but they aren't soft. 

The Hawks won three cups recently... all while being amongst the 5 smallest teams in the league and one of the 3 cups they were actually the second smallest. 

Small doesn't mean you are set to lose.... and small doesn't make you soft. ... small also doesn't mean you aren't skilled.

The fact that the Habs have competed well against two of the biggest teams in the league and were 3-0-0 when facing them with a fully healthy lineup, shows that the issue isn't being soft.

The success of drafting isn't about 1 pick. 

Every team makes mistakes... there are a bunch of teams who wish they had Hughes. 

There are a bunch of teams who wish they took Romanov as well... even more than those who passed on Hughes. 

Its not about looking at one player.  Its about looking at a group.  And when looking at groups of young players, under 21, analysts say the Habs have one of the best overall groups in the league, and yes that includes a Suzuki who they traded for (but trades are also based on scouting)... Overall a group with Caufield, Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Fleury, Brook, Ylonen, Primeau, Poehling, Fonstad, Norlinder, Harris, Mete etc.... is considered to be strong and well positioned going forward. 

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm gonna disagree that Domi has been soft. 

On the wing, he has a harder time getting the opportunities to drive the net, but he's been involved in the forecheck and on the boards.   He also shoots at angles and he's better shooting from the middle of the ice than from the circles (as most players are... there are those nerd stats again). 

Again, I'm not saying he's played at his best, but I don't see the issue as being soft.   Just being in a spot where his offence doesn't flow as well and that effects his confidence. 

He's also more a playmaker than a shooter and in the middle of the ice, he has options for a pass to both his left and right, something that doesn't happen on the wing, so its less options and thus easier to shut down.

Then he gets frustrated and selfishly takes bad penalties. 

None of that is soft though.

I am not trolling when I say this, but to my amateur fan eye: when Domi is on, he drives the play like Lehkonen but finishes. When he is off, he skates arounf like Pacioretty used to and gives the odd check but doesn't finish.

He has been playing like Patches lately

54 minutes ago, Chris said:

This team is incredibly soft and too small, Domi, Weber, Danault, Gallgher and Chairot win there share of battles for sure, but they as a group are soft

Armia. Tatar. Lehkonen. Petry. Scandella. Suzuki. We do have players who are not afraid to get make contact and fight for the puck.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

fighting for the puck and winning the puck battle are 2 different things

And you don't think Armia can win puck battles? Have you been watching the same games I have?

Why is everyone acting like this is new. Montreal gets pushed around very easily when playing team's that are bigger and faster then they are. Montreal has never been a physical team,  We're built around the transition game. I don't think Montreal is built for the long-haul of an full season and playoffs, which is why we go on slides and can't recover from them like top NHL team's do.