Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Why is everyone acting like this is new. Montreal gets pushed around very easily when playing team's that are bigger and faster then they are. Montreal has never been a physical team,  We're built around the transition game. I don't think Montreal is built for the long-haul of an full season and playoffs, which is why we go on slides and can't recover from them like top NHL team's do.

I(ts talent, not size. 

How else does the second biggest team in the league win 3 stanley cups in 7 years?

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Like this year when they won 3 of 4 on their western trip?  It was the trip to Florida that start their fall.

2-0 against Calgary this season, another BIG team that they didn't have issues with. 

11 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'd sign him for 1 year at 6 million.  can we even offer an extension yet?

I'd even take two years, but if he's looking for four or five, it's got to be somewhere else.

Unless Bergevin has decided that Kovalchuk is a pure rental, I would expect him to be talking seriously very soon now.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd rather re-sign him TBH. If nothing else, he will make a huge difference to our ability to make the playoffs next season. The high 2nd rounder is tempting, though.

It wouldnt be that high.  Any team wanting him is a contender so it would be a pick in the 50s.

The habs have 11 picks in the 2020 draft.

Id just assume keep him rather than the value there.

If he wont re-sign before the deadline, then of course make the deal.  Again though its a situation where im asking for a prospect rather than a pick.  I want something closer to nhl ready

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It wouldnt be that high.  Any team wanting him is a contender so it would be a pick in the 50s.

The habs have 11 picks in the 2020 draft.

Id just assume keep him rather than the value there.

If he wont re-sign before the deadline, then of course make the deal.  Again though its a situation where im asking for a prospect rather than a pick.  I want something closer to nhl ready

Well, I doubt he will re-sign before the deadline. He will want to test the market, like most of them do, and will also want to see whether he can make a deal with a contender. Or so I'd guess. And even if he's interested in re-signing, MB tends to crap out rather than risk an overpay. I still believe he's gone, therefore.

The frustrating thing to me is that whichever team adds Kovalchuk is adding the real Kovalchuk, a PPG top-line W. That's worth more than a 2nd. But his value has been artificially deflated by LA's mishandling. Bah.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, I doubt he will re-sign before the deadline.

And if this is the case, then I'd trade him for whatever we can get, as our odds of signing him in the summer will be poor, even if is happy in Montreal right now. It's now or never.

7 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

From 31 Thoughts: Edmonton has shown interest in Tatar.

Bergevin has shown interest in McDavid?

Just kidding.

Id ask for Ethan Bear on their defence as the starting point.  Maybe add a second.

8 hours ago, Trizzak said:

From 31 Thoughts: Edmonton has shown interest in Tatar.

That makes sense to me. Tatar has the skill to shine with McDavid. He would light it up playing a full year with McDavid and Kassian allowing Draisatl to continue to anchor the 2nd line. The guy I would want is Darnell Nurse but that is very unlikely to happen.  Bear is a good puck mover but he is another RH defenceman which we seem to not have a shortage of. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Bear is a good puck mover but he is another RH defenceman which we seem to not have a shortage of. 

The Habs have a big RD shortage.  They have Weber/Petry established (though Petry's a UFA after next season).  Then there's Fleury and Brook who are prospects with question marks.  Juulsen is a write-off at this point.  Folin is in his last days with the team.  And...that's it for right-shot defenders.  They need a few whether it's via trade or the draft.

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs have a big RD shortage.  They have Weber/Petry established (though Petry's a UFA after next season).  Then there's Fleury and Brook who are prospects with question marks.  Juulsen is a write-off at this point.  Folin is in his last days with the team.  And...that's it for right-shot defenders.  They need a few whether it's via trade or the draft.

I guess I think of Fleury and Brook as future long term regulars, may not work out.  Also it seems like Folin has discovered a scoring touch and may blossom now (ok that's overly optimistic).  I see your point but still think the left side is a bigger priority although the Chicoutimi Cucumber may disagree with me. 

Shame to see the Leafs lose tonight and it would be a bigger shame if they didn't make the playoffs since they don't have their own 1st round pick. Would break my heart.  Now let's see; Anaheim splits their next 2 games, losing in Montreal and winning in Toronto. Habs destroy the Leafs on Saturday and voila we are only 2 points behind the mighty Leafs.  I can't believe the Leafs had to give up a 1st round pick to get rid of Marleau's contract although it is top 10 protected this year. They sure messed that up. 

54 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That makes sense to me. Tatar has the skill to shine with McDavid. He would light it up playing a full year with McDavid and Kassian allowing Draisatl to continue to anchor the 2nd line. The guy I would want is Darnell Nurse but that is very unlikely to happen.  Bear is a good puck mover but he is another RH defenceman which we seem to not have a shortage of. 

If you get Bear, it allows you to move Petry 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If you get Bear, it allows you to move Petry 

That's true. You would need a replacement if you traded Petry, interesting to see what kind of return you could get for him.  Oilers would probably see Bear as expendable next year as they expect Evan Bouchard to make it and he fills the same role as Bear. Not sure if they would be willing to give him up this year.