Jump to content
Fanpuck33

Permanent Rumour Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, DON said:

from The Athletic: 

"During his presser with Nashville reporters on Tuesday, Nashville GM David Poile said he’s been talking to 10 GMs a day. Another veteran of the NHL marketplace, Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello, hinted at the possibility for surprises, saying there will be “more players available than people think.” "

 

Should be a very interesting upcoming week.:hyper:

 

  

 

 

 

With the lock on the cap for next year and possibly several more a lot of GMs will likely be weary of which UFAs they sign and for what and how long.  It will likely be a crappy year for players trying to get long contracts with big raises.   There will probably be a bunch of UFAs or RFAs available as GMs figure out which of their players are absolute keepers vs like to keep but are somewhat disposable.  Theres also the Kracken draft to consider too.  i.e. if you cant protect a guy thats really good and will lose him in the draft trade him for picks. 

 

41 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I like Armia. A lot. I would hate to see him traded.  Do you trade Danault this year, or give him another year to mentor slick nick and kk?

 

I have been impressed with Armia right from when I 1st heard the Habs got him and checked his stats.  It would be a bad idea to get rid of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Yeah if Alzner is upset about playing in the minors he can wipe his tears with the $10.625 million he's been paid in the past 2 years to do so.

 

From everything I have read, he has been super professional and a positive influence in Laval. Of course every player there would prefer to be playing for the Habs. But he was offered a stupid contract by the Habs, I can't blame him for taking it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

What is really needed to be able to assess rumours in the coming days would be for TSN/Sportsnet to mine all their sources and determine what the internal cap for every team is going into 20/21 (NOTE: the internal cap can be $81.5M for financially healthy teams) ... it is easy to see who has "potential" cap space available but we have no way of knowing which teams have the approval to spend it and which GMs have been mandated to cut salary.

 

A few are listed here and I believe Buffalo is hovering around that range as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

A few are listed here and I believe Buffalo is hovering around that range as well.

Thanks ... interesting ... but what teams did "off ice" does not necessarily indicate how they will treat the salary cap for 20/21 ... especially when there is a reasonable chance that 20/21 specific accommodations will be agreed to between the NHL and NHLPA to get any hockey played nest season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Thanks ... interesting ... but what teams did "off ice" does not necessarily indicate how they will treat the salary cap for 20/21 ... especially when there is a reasonable chance that 20/21 specific accommodations will be agreed to between the NHL and NHLPA to get any hockey played nest season

 

The off-ice stuff doesn't concern me much but the mention of player budgets for a few teams in there was the highlight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

An actual rumour - the Habs are willing to move the 16th pick according to Pierre LeBrun (citing Marc Antoine Godin of The Athletic which is behind a paywall): https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-nhl-questions-tampa-bay-lightning-about-controversial-stanley-cup-rally-1.1532973

It will be an interesting few days ... IMO #16 doesn't get a serious top 6 upgrade (30+ goals), maybe more scoring depth (20+ goals) ... so it will be interesting to see how creative MB can be (e.g., additonal assets, taking back a bad contract along with the object of the deal)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

The off-ice stuff doesn't concern me much but the mention of player budgets for a few teams in there was the highlight. 

True ... these three teams will be interesting to watch ... Pittsburgh and Arizona in particular as they are currently above their suggested internal cap:

 

Sources say the Sabres are considering an internal salary cap in the low $70 million range; the Arizona Coyotes, who recently failed to make on-time signing bonus payments to a number of players, may be operating just south of $70 million under their next GM; the Pittsburgh Penguins are reportedly planning to budget in the low-to-mid $70 million range on an $81.5 million limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

An actual rumour - the Habs are willing to move the 16th pick according to Pierre LeBrun (citing Marc Antoine Godin of The Athletic which is behind a paywall): https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-nhl-questions-tampa-bay-lightning-about-controversial-stanley-cup-rally-1.1532973

 

That matches the Athletic story on Bergevin comments:

 

Quote

“I’ve had conversations with other teams to check on whether certain players might be available,” Bergevin said. “I was asked if my (first-round) pick might be available and I answered yes, though I won’t trade that pick just to trade it. It has to be for a player who would help us right away. And then there’s the contract. Trading the 16th pick for a player that has one year left on his contract before becoming a free agent, that’s not the smartest thing to do either.

 

“But my pick is even more available (than usual), yes.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

 

That matches the Athletic story on Bergevin comments:

 

 

I think the best thing that could of happen to this team was them given that playoff spot. Its open Bergevin eyes, he now knows their is a window here to win now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think the best thing that could of happen to this team was them given that playoff spot. Its open Bergevin eyes, he now knows their is a window here to win now

 

I hope that you are joking, or like some say you have your :crazy: cheek firmly planted in your tongue :crazy:

 

Back during  the 2014 playoffs, when the Habs went to the third round, MB thought he was close and that threw them in a stupid cycle of being pretenders (counting on Carey) instead of building a cup contender team.

Until I see Kotkaniemi and Suzuki show consistency during the season, I do not think we should jump on the "win now" bandwagon.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

I hope that you are joking, or like some say you have your :crazy: cheek firmly planted in your tongue :crazy:

 

Back during  the 2014 playoffs, when the Habs went to the third round, MB thought he was close and that threw them in a stupid cycle of being pretenders (counting on Carey) instead of building a cup contender team.

Until I see Kotkaniemi and Suzuki show consistency during the season, I do not think we should jump on the "win now" bandwagon.

 

 

Look at what he's doing this off season. For the first time in a long time he's addressing team needs. He's building a team around these guys to contend . Its going to be a interesting draft this year. Looking forward to see what trades Bergevin makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Look at what he's doing this off season. For the first time in a long time he's addressing team needs. He's building a team around these guys to contend . Its going to be a interesting draft this year. Looking forward to see what trades Bergevin makes.


I see it too, and I have defended MB’s redemptive actions in recent years

 

but even for me, it is still too early

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:


I see it too, and I have defended MB’s redemptive actions in recent years

 

but even for me, it is still too early

I have been on Bergevin for not doing nothing and wasting Weber's and Price's prime. For a change he is addressing team needs and giving these guys a chance at winning a cup. I for one have been happy what he's been trying to do this off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I have been on Bergevin for not doing nothing and wasting Weber's and Price's prime. For a change he is addressing team needs and giving these guys a chance at winning a cup. I for one have been happy what he's been trying to do this off season.

I think we agree on that.

 

Here is an article that I read after my lst post that explains better why we should not be overly enthusiastic (?! couldn't find a better adj.):

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-suzuki-kotkaniemi-expectations-2020-21/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:


“a man should not be prevented from seeking gainful employment”

 

and in Alzner’s case, the pandemic will probably put an end to his playing career if he does not play hockey in 2020-2021

I would consider even his reduced $3M  in 20/21 ($3.5M in 21/22) quite gainful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I would consider even his reduced $3M  in 20/21 ($3.5M in 21/22) quite gainful.

I would say he has gainful employment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lebrun has the Habs being interested in a top 6 forward (bonus if with size), and thinks they might be targeting Josh Anderson from Columbus. He also says Columbus is looking for a centerman and wonders if Domi would interest them. 

 

I'm not sure what bridges the talent gap between Domi and Anderson to make that deal work, because Domi is better, younger, better, more marketable, better, a center, better, and is better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Lebrun has the Habs being interested in a top 6 forward (bonus if with size), and thinks they might be targeting Josh Anderson from Columbus. He also says Columbus is looking for a centerman and wonders if Domi would interest them. 

 

I'm not sure what bridges the talent gap between Domi and Anderson to make that deal work, because Domi is better, younger, better, more marketable, better, a center, better, and is better. 

Mentioned Anderson before and think people said stay away from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Lebrun has the Habs being interested in a top 6 forward (bonus if with size), and thinks they might be targeting Josh Anderson from Columbus. He also says Columbus is looking for a centerman and wonders if Domi would interest them. 

 

I'm not sure what bridges the talent gap between Domi and Anderson to make that deal work, because Domi is better, younger, better, more marketable, better, a center, better, and is better. 

 

If, as reported, Columbus is on a below $81.5 internal cap and Brandon Dubinsky's contract was not insured then taking him on to carry on LTIR (he played no games last season) might lower the price to get Anderson or increase what you can get for Domi ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DON said:

Mentioned Anderson before and think people said stay away from him.

 

Is "Domi for Joel Armia" a fair summary of this trade concept?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Is "Domi for Joel Armia" a fair summary of this trade concept?

That is the lowest common denominator.

I would like some one better than Armia so that Armia can be pushed down to the 3rd line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That is the lowest common denominator.

I would like some one better than Armia so that Armia can be pushed down to the 3rd line

 

I would as well, but in terms of one-for-one value for Domi, that seems like a reasonable and fair return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Is "Domi for Joel Armia" a fair summary of this trade concept?

Dunno, I dont know anything about Anderson, just Commandant said stay away.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I would as well, but in terms of one-for-one value for Domi, that seems like a reasonable and fair return.

You do know Domi had a 70+pt season, Anderson it appears 47 is his max so far, with all of 1g last season how is that equal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...