Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

For what?? I think the Habs need to keep at least one of their 1st round picks...and Marleau's value has to be tempered with the fact he's UFA in 12 months.

I think Ryder, Perezhogin + 22nd oa + one of our 3rd rounders COULD be a fair deal with SJ for Marleau. Ryder straight up wouldn't be fair at all, for San Jose, I don't think. But come to think of it, San Jose got 13th oa this morning so another 1st might not interest them much.

Maybe Ryder, Grabovski + 3rd for Marleau. Why? Because with Koivu-Marleau-Plekanec-Lapierre as our line-up of centers and with Chipchura soon taking over one of the positions, Grabovski will have no future in Montreal (unless we convert him to a LW) so we may as well use him as bait. Aubin or Maxwell could be another guy we use but I think Gainey would hang on to Ryan White.

yah I even think that that might be overpaying for a guy like Marleau who only has one more year left on his current deal. Id think a package of Ryder + Perezhogin and our 2nd and 3rd round picks would be enough.

I think Ryder, Perezhogin + 22nd oa + one of our 3rd rounders COULD be a fair deal with SJ for Marleau. Ryder straight up wouldn't be fair at all, for San Jose, I don't think. But come to think of it, San Jose got 13th oa this morning so another 1st might not interest them much.

YES!

Grabovski - NOOOOOOOOO......

BTH, you do have some very good trade ideas and understand that you do have to give up something to get a good player. :clap:

I don't see why the Sharks would be moving Marleau right now. They dumped Bell along with Toskala and can now replace them with entry level players, if they think Patzold is ready for a NHL backup gig. They should have the cap room to make a top notch pitch for Drury for sure now.

Then they can ice a top 6 of:

Michalek-Thornton-Cheechoo

Drury-Marleau-Bernier

Yikes.

And still have cap room for a top 4 d-man if they lose Hannan.

Right. We all agree that Ryder would be a reasonable element in a deal for Marleau, but it's gonna take more than that - almost certainly a major prospect IMHO. If we do get Marleau we should be prepared for the loss of one of those young guns that the board is so fond of (e.g., Kostityn).

As for this weirdly nasty argument about Streit, let me try to split the difference. On a team with a very strong nucleus of defencemen Streit would indeed probably make an agreeable 4th D. He's versatile, smart and reliable - a coach's dream. But on our team only Markov is a top-2 defenceman. Souray is a PP stud but probably a 3rd-4th defenceman on a good team. It's the weakness at the top end of our defensive depth chart that exposes the limitations of our bottom half. This makes the bottom half look worse than it is, because there's no one carrying the freight at the top end.

When you think about, even Dandy and (especially) Bouillon could be good 4th defencemen IMHO, if you had a strong top 3.

Agreed but maybe something is happening we don't know about. Does Wilson wish to go in a whole new direction with the Sharks?

Isn't part of the issue Marleau's disappearing act in the playoffs? That sort of thing can often lead to burned bridges. I can see Wilson identifying Drury as a C who produces in the clutch and therefore makes Marleau expendable.

Isn't part of the issue Marleau's disappearing act in the playoffs? That sort of thing can often lead to burned bridges. I can see Wilson identifying Drury as a C who produces in the clutch and therefore makes Marleau expendable.

Marleau didn't show up for 1 freaking round against the team that, if healthy, should've won the Cup.

Anyways, you can add Drury without getting rid of Marleau, though. That was my point. Before, it didn't seem like they could. With Bell & Toskala off the books, now it looks possible.

I should add... unless SJ thinks they should start replacing Marleau this year and get something in return for him. Both Marelau and Thornton are UFA's next summer, so if they get Drury now, they can get something in return for Marleau and concentrate solely on re-signing Thornton.

If they pay the big bucks for Drury, they will play him in his proper position. If what they want is a LW, they would make a move for one of the left wings around.

Boy...even I, a huge Bob booster, have to wonder...is this guy EVER going to pull the trigger on a major move? Conservatism only takes you so far - as the impending loss of Souray painfully illustrates.

A Briere/Koivu or Koivu/Gomez pairing down the middle is NEVER going to contend. So he HAS to make a move, sooner or later...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Eklund says that Montreal is "VERY into the Briere sweeps" and is still trying to pull of the deal for Marleau.

Yes, it is in fact Eklund, but he did call the Toskala to Leafs as an e4 and sure enough it happened.

I want briere, thats all i can say.

Boy...even I, a huge Bob booster, have to wonder...is this guy EVER going to pull the trigger on a major move? Conservatism only takes you so far - as the impending loss of Souray painfully illustrates.

A Briere/Koivu or Koivu/Gomez pairing down the middle is NEVER going to contend. So he HAS to make a move, sooner or later...

I don't think Gainey wants to part with good prospects in a trade - if you look at his history with the Canadiens, the biggest move he ever made to acquire a player was to trade the overrated Balej for Kovalev. Aside from that, his biggest move was dumping Theodore.

Eklund says that Montreal is "VERY into the Briere sweeps" and is still trying to pull of the deal for Marleau.

Yes, it is in fact Eklund, but he did call the Toskala to Leafs as an e4 and sure enough it happened.

I want briere, thats all i can say.

Briere is not coming to Montreal.

Well, I love Briere as a player. But as I keep saying, a briere/koivu Smurf tag-team down the middle is never, ever going to win a Stanley Cup. Just imagine them going up against Anaheim for God's sake. If we sign Briere to a longish-term deal, barring a future trade of one of these C, we will be committing to NOT winning the big prize in the forseeable future.

We need a big, elite C. We have none in the system. Bob HAS to trade one of our other prospects/young players and get one. If he doesn't, his tenure in Montreal may lead to a good team but never to a Cup - and therefore will ultimately be a failure.

Hopefully I'm either wrong about this, or about his reluctance to pull the trigger. Admittedly the summer is still young.

So, hundreds of rumors and almost no trades. Just goes to show what all these rumor sites are worth.

Rumour sites are Absolutely worthless. Ekland idiot reports something he heard elsewhere and when he is right %1 of the time, it was already reported elsewhere.

That is why I like the friendly place of Habsworld.net to root out the dumb and dumber sites that report nonsense. The posters here know the truth and are a valueable resource for players worldwide. Great work gang; now that the draft is over we can argue about free agency!

Rumours do keep us entertained I do admit. ^_^

Go Habs :hockey:

Well, I love Briere as a player. But as I keep saying, a briere/koivu Smurf tag-team down the middle is never, ever going to win a Stanley Cup. Just imagine them going up against Anaheim for God's sake. If we sign Briere to a longish-term deal, barring a future trade of one of these C, we will be committing to NOT winning the big prize in the forseeable future.

We need a big, elite C. We have none in the system. Bob HAS to trade one of our other prospects/young players and get one. If he doesn't, his tenure in Montreal may lead to a good team but never to a Cup - and therefore will ultimately be a failure.

Hopefully I'm either wrong about this, or about his reluctance to pull the trigger. Admittedly the summer is still young.

I agree, but yes, the summer IS young. I'd rather we don't lose Ryder for Marleau though. He's been our only consistent 30 goal scorer, and he does that quite well. Couple it with the souray goals that are about to disappear, and that's losing A LOT of our offense in the process. I know both Souray and Ryder were HUGE minuses, and I know our young guys should be scoring more this year as they improve, but they're not proven to be scorers until they actually do it.

Briere is not coming to Montreal.

Yea I'd probably say the same, but if someone told me that the Canadiens will trade Balej and a pick for Alex Kovalev that one evening, I'd also say that that's not happening.

You never know what Bob could pull off.

I agree, but yes, the summer IS young. I'd rather we don't lose Ryder for Marleau though. He's been our only consistent 30 goal scorer, and he does that quite well. Couple it with the souray goals that are about to disappear, and that's losing A LOT of our offense in the process. I know both Souray and Ryder were HUGE minuses, and I know our young guys should be scoring more this year as they improve, but they're not proven to be scorers until they actually do it.

Marleau would score 30+ goals as well and add way more helpers.