Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Koivu, Pleks, Bouillon, Samsonov (gone) Streit are the players I consider smurfs.

Players who play like they are smurfs are Kovalev, Dandy, Johnson.

I agree 100% they are getting bigger and tougher with the youth coming in.

I do like some of the above mentioned players as well but this team is way too soft to really compete.

I didn't look at the roster so i may have missed one or two.

This is not a rumour regarding us but moreso about the Isles not resigning Jason Blake. Maybe Blake is a good option for us. He's an American too which puts him in a low Quebec tax bracket.

Any thoughts?

The tax situation is a regular topic of conversation on local radio. Americans being in a lower bracket has never been mentioned, is this true? To my knowledge, nobody gets a break.

The tax situation is a regular topic of conversation on local radio. Americans being in a lower bracket has never been mentioned, is this true? To my knowledge, nobody gets a break.

Here is a list of tax brackets from worst to best which explains why we have many 3's and 4's in Montreal.

1) Quebecois

2) R.O.C

3) USA

4) European.

I forget where I read this

I'd stay the hell away from Jason Blake. Habs have enough locker room drama. Jason Blake would only make things worse even if he can score 40 goals.

If you thought Samsonov's attitude was bad, Jason Blake makes Samsonov look like a saint.

I wouldn't mind Marleau..but to be honest...I think Kostitsyn has made the cut, and so has Corey Locke for this upcoming season.....Marleau is alright.....but if theres one guy who never quits.....its Scott Gomez.....I just think he would be such a perfect fit in Montreal....Can a statiscian PLEASE give me gomez's stats while playing in Montreal? the PPG average is pretty damn good...surpassing briere, Marleau...or any other UFA.....PLEASE....I need these stats in comparison! :)

Gomez has 6 points in his last 3 vistis to Montreal and is a PPG player in his career while playing here.

Koivu, Pleks, Bouillon, Samsonov (gone) Streit are the players I consider smurfs.

Players who play like they are smurfs are Kovalev, Dandy, Johnson.

I agree 100% they are getting bigger and tougher with the youth coming in.

I do like some of the above mentioned players as well but this team is way too soft to really compete.

I didn't look at the roster so i may have missed one or two.

What's good is that all the "smurfs" play bigger than they are. All of them are hard workers and take hits if they have to.

If you wanna talk about smurfs you GOTTA "begin" with "Begin" .........................punt intended!

By 9 am tomorrow Shelly should get a response and an ultimatum! we need to deal his ass now if both parties aren't close on a deal!

Eklund says the habs will offer Briere $50M over 7 seasons ($7.14M per year)

This is not a Gainey contract.

If this is true, Gainey and Gillette are letting the media run the team (they are still pissed about passing on quebecers at the draft) and this will shut them up .....until he doesn't produce. Then the same media will call for Gainey's head.

Figures.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That is not Bob Gainey style. If he was run by the media then Angelo Esposito would have been picked at #12.

Gainey hasn't succumbed to fan and media pressure since he's been the Habs GM, why would he now?

If this is true, Gainey and Gillette are letting the media run the team (they are still pissed about passing on quebecers at the draft) and this will shut them up .....until he doesn't produce. Then the same media will call for Gainey's head.

Figures.

Too bad Eklund is a moron.

But I could certainly see Gainey offering him some stupid contract like 5 years and $35 Million or $37.5 Million....which is a total waste of money. Briere will never replicate the season he just had with Buffalo.....they were awesome. He would never score 95 points in Montreal....unless you bring back Lafleur and Shutt as his wingers

Figures.

You mean.... Eklund is wrong?

First time for everything! :rolleyes:

Figures.

Too much for Briere but didn't the Habs offer that same contract to Elias last season but Elias decided to stay in NJ?

It was 7M...just not sure how many years.

Figures.

Not sure if Gillette can afford this. He is already expanding his sports empire with HABS money...

You mean.... Eklund is wrong?

First time for everything! :rolleyes:

yep. just like how the habs were going to move up and do everything possible to get Esposito :wacko:

i don't know who is worse Eckland or that idiot Bruce Garroich (sp??) from the Ottawa Sun. At least Eckland is working for himself. I really don't know how that ottawa sun guy got a job and keeps his job!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

i don't know who is worse Eckland or that idiot Bruce Garroich (sp??) from the Ottawa Sun. At least Eckland is working for himself. I really don't know how that ottawa sun guy got a job and keeps his job!

why? because people like us remind each other of their existence and who funds them.. thats why! Sad but true

If BOb signs Briere to that contract I'll understand the logic. It's a bummer that we have to go that high to offset the PQ tax. If we don't, expect Philly to acquire him. Also, the rumour mill mentions (Spectors) that the offer to Briere from Regeir was influenced by Vanek not being signed and if he is, and Buffalo is more relaxed as a result, they may offer Briere and/or Drury more money. This all hinges on Vanek signing within 50 hours or so.

Regeir's offer to Briere was AN INSULT!

Regeir's offer to Briere was AN INSULT!

I cannot figure the Sabres out. Why did they offer Briere the same money he wanted last year...are they that daft?

I keep forgetting about taxes so I understand why Habs have to pay more. Smart G.M.s will overpay to beat out another suitor for a player time and again if strengthens the team. I am just unsure if Briere is that guy the Habs should be paying large $$$.

In my opinion Brière agent is actually using the habs, because he is a local player to get more years

to the contract he wants.

No way we gonna see Brière in Montreal uniform next year, just like we had no chance with every Quebecer

when they got to free agency.

Just to name a few Martin Lapointe, Luc Robitaille, Philippe Boucher, Martin St-Louis?, Sylvain Coté(blast from the past)etc.

It's always been the same and the story will repeat itself.

I cannot figure the Sabres out. Why did they offer Briere the same money he wanted last year...are they that daft?

I keep forgetting about taxes so I understand why Habs have to pay more. Smart G.M.s will overpay to beat out another suitor for a player time and again if strengthens the team. I am just unsure if Briere is that guy the Habs should be paying large $$$.

Briere is NOT that guy. He's a great player, but not the one who the Habs should use as their new "centrepiece". Remember, we don't just want to get to the playoffs, we want to DO somethng in the playoffs (this is not a knock on Briere's playoff performance, just the point that in the Playoffs, being Bigger and Tougher really does make a huge difference as to who advances.)