Resignation of Bob Gainey

jrhabs

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn...I mean if this is a firing, I cannot say it's not warrented. Although, a firing in the middle of the season I guess shows they have no confidence in Gainey for the trade deadline + resigning FA's.

Gainey gone? I wasn't expecting it but at the same time I would not be surprised.

5-year plan had officially failed last July 1st. But most of all, Mr. Gainey had a lot to deal with in his personal life in the last years. Combined with the duties of GM with the Habs, that's too much to handle for a common person. But he did managed to get the job done and get through it. I'm sure stepping back and enjoying more life in a relaxed way will do him a great deal of good now. He has done a lot already for the Habs.

anyone have a history on Gauthier? You have to wonder what this might do to any possible deals that are in the mix right now.

Also Gainey's always been seen as having Price as "his guy" maybe someone like Gauthier will be more willing to deal Price and stick with Halak.

anyone have a history on Gauthier? You have to wonder what this might do to any possible deals that are in the mix right now.

Also Gainey's always been seen as having Price as "his guy" maybe someone like Gauthier will be more willing to deal Price and stick with Halak.

he is considered as a great hockey mind, responisble for building the Senators and the Ducks into champion-caliber teams. Has been asst-GM with the Habs for a while now. Would make sense if he is the interim GM with the trade deadline only 3 weeks away.

anyone have a history on Gauthier?

He scouted for the Nordiques in the 80's, was an assistant GM in Anaheim in the early '90s, was GM of Ottawa during their turnaround in the mid '90s, then returned to Anaheim, before joining the Habs in 2003 as a professional scout and later assistant GM.

he is considered as a great hockey mind, responisble for building the Senators and the Ducks into champion-caliber teams. Has been asst-GM with the Habs for a while now. Would make sense if he is the interim GM with the trade deadline only 3 weeks away.

He's also the guy that recommended the Habs sign Samsonov, trade for Niinimaa, etc. He was head of the pro scouting, which many found lacking. Of course, that also means he probably recommended some of the good finds too, like Cammalleri and Gionta. Most people point out the negatives. I think he did the scouting on Pouliot, too.

But yes, he's the interim GM. Not official one.

this is just really bad timing...their more going on then we know...

It's not the worst timing in the world. Gauthier has two weeks of no hockey coming up to make acquaintances. He knows the team pretty much as well as Gainey did. He'll have his ideas on what should be done.

Wow. One has to think that this is more than Bob finally having enough. Like others have stated, maybe it's because he wanted to trade Halak and keep Price, maybe it's something else that wasn't in line with the owners.

Wonder if Martin will move upstairs and Boucher will be promoted...

Thanks Bob, in a case like this you really wished he never went in to the mgmt side of hockey for the habs, as great as a player Bob was, he has been a terrible GM. I measure teams success by Cups, playoff success, drafting and prospects. None of this criteria has been met, unfortunately.

I like some of the young talent now, but Bob's propensity to overlook Canadian Junior hockey and choose undersized USHL players IMHO has been an epic disaster and has and will set this franchise back.

He's also the guy that recommended the Habs sign Samsonov, trade for Niinimaa, etc. He was head of the pro scouting, which many found lacking. Of course, that also means he probably recommended some of the good finds too, like Cammalleri and Gionta. Most people point out the negatives. I think he did the scouting on Pouliot, too.

But yes, he's the interim GM. Not official one.

It's not the worst timing in the world. Gauthier has two weeks of no hockey coming up to make acquaintances. He knows the team pretty much as well as Gainey did. He'll have his ideas on what should be done.

but as interim gm i cant see them letting him do alot..unless they are like you got 2 weeks to make somthing happen and if so your the gm

Wow. One has to think that this is more than Bob finally having enough. Like others have stated, maybe it's because he wanted to trade Halak and keep Price, maybe it's something else that wasn't in line with the owners.

Wonder if Martin will move upstairs and Boucher will be promoted...

Maybe after the season. That's where the speculation will begin for real... to bring back Serge Savard, Carbonneau, Patrick Roy, Scotty Bowman, Jacques Demers...

Maybe after the season. That's where the speculation will begin for real... to bring back Serge Savard, Carbonneau, Patrick Roy, Scotty Bowman, Jacques Demers...

They should have a reality/game show for the job.

It is quite amazing that the GM steps down and all the messageboards are filled with speculation that it has to do with the goaltenders. :rolleyes: It never ends.

If Gainey is being fired/resigning because of ownership meddling (ie. Price/Halak), say goodbye to the Canadiens as a competitive franchise.

Edited by Wamsley01