2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

JoeLassister

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's times like this that I hate living in the US. Big game on Sunday, obviously, between the US and Canada. Is NBC showing it? No. Is USA showing it? No. They freaking relegated it to MSNBC which has no HD in my area. NBC has a legit excuse, as for most people figure skating is the big event in the Winter Olympics. But USA is showing freaking Pirates of Caribbean twice instead of carrying the game.

Which is why Canada is still a beter hockey nation......

Tough start for US men's curling. Germany's skip made the big shots, ours didn't. Good start, though, by US hockey. The Swiss have proven to be a thorn in the side come Olympic time and we looked solid against them.

Lots of rules seem to have been changed to be the same as the NHL. Delay of game on position players, no line changes after icing, and much relaxed rules about the crease. Even the clock counted down instead of up.

Wow, what is your Olympic coverage like down there Fanpuck? We've got 3 stations running Olympic coverage pretty much non-stop.

It's pretty terrible. Four different channels have coverage, but most of the time only two are going at a time. NBC shows prelims and some "boring" stuff like cross country skiing for a few hours in the afternoon and all the "big" stuff during primetime (figure skating, semifinals and finals for skiing, snowboarding, speed skating, often on tape delay). USA is showing hockey and curling, but only in afternoons. MSNBC and CNBC are showing a lot of non-US and women's hockey, and late afternoon/evening curling. Commercials are at a ridiculous level. During curling, they don't just put them between ends, they put them in the middle and miss a number of stones more often than not. We don't even get the entire Canadian hockey game tonight, it got joined in progress after women's curling. Oh, and NBC spends probably 10-15 minutes an hour on annoying feel good stories instead of showing actual action.

It's pretty terrible. Four different channels have coverage, but most of the time only two are going at a time. NBC shows prelims and some "boring" stuff like cross country skiing for a few hours in the afternoon and all the "big" stuff during primetime (figure skating, semifinals and finals for skiing, snowboarding, speed skating, often on tape delay). USA is showing hockey and curling, but only in afternoons. MSNBC and CNBC are showing a lot of non-US and women's hockey, and late afternoon/evening curling. Commercials are at a ridiculous level. During curling, they don't just put them between ends, they put them in the middle and miss a number of stones more often than not. We don't even get the entire Canadian hockey game tonight, it got joined in progress after women's curling. Oh, and NBC spends probably 10-15 minutes an hour on annoying feel good stories instead of showing actual action.

+1 for RDS and V. It is unbelievable how many commercials we can have during a single session of speed skating.

Women boardercross was crazy to watch, all those crashes. Think the course was a bit to hard for them, well it looked that way. But it made it much more fun to watch, there was even an frontflip, well i bet she didnt mean too :D

Ricker was just too good and deserved it.

We almost had another medal, our second best skater ended 4th on the 500 meter speedskating. Our best crashed after one of her best openings. too bad, for sure that would have been a medal! (and damn is she hot :) )

I should really stop reading this thread until morning. Don't get snowboard cross down here till later tonight.

Man, our coverage in Eastern Canada has you beat, and we complain....

If I was at sea right now (where I would be if my back was better) I would be getting soccer on espn international.

They probably cover Figure Skating, Bi-athlon and Barrel Jumping!!

SK gets Belarus on the board.....2-1 Finland

Really didn't care for SK's reaction after the goal. Didn't even glance at his teammate, who was the one who created the turnover and made the pass.

P.S. I am a slow learner. I made the mistake of going to Yahoo Sports, only to see that the US took gold and silver in an event that doesn't air until tonight.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Korneev was paired with Gonchar on the PP last night. I wasn't overly impressed with his play. Think he'll ever cross the pond?

Weber had a horrible game against the US yesterday. Many defensive blunders in the second and couple bad penalties if I remember right.

Marianne St.Gelais takes home a silver in the women's 500m! Jessica Gregg should've had a shot at the bronze but the Italian was a bit of a d-bag at the beginning of the race. Still, getting silver is still awesome. :clap:

The Canadian women round out the round robin with a 13-1 win over Sweden. They outscore the opposition by a total of 41-2 in 3 games.

Plekanec playing with Elias (who is the Czech captain) is kinda weird. When Plex was drafted he was compared to Elias. 9 years later he's on the same line at the Olympics and playing much the same. André Savard must be proud...

Damn I missed the Czech-Slovakia game

I saw the highlights though

LOL Pleks on Halak

I'm wondering if the Slovakian coach will start Price next time

Edited by rafikz

Damn I missed the Czech-Slovakia game

I saw the highlights though

LOL Pleks on Halak

I'm wondering if the Slovakian coach will start Price next time

It was a good game until late in the 2nd when the Czechs made it 3-1. Plex's goal with 2 secs left sealed the game. The 3 period was just the Czechs clogging the neutral zone and the Slovaks being utterly unable to mount any sustained offense. 

The Slovaks have mostly old legs. I'm wondering why they havent really developed any good kid for a while now. They also haven't developed any decent center since... Stumpel?! 

3-1 USA vs Norway midway in the 3rd. The Norse are actually matching well to the Americans. Surprising.