Sign Pleks!

Nilan25

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a Gainey supporter, but if he lets Pleks tests FA waters or walk away for nothing, I'll be done with him. Sign him ASAP.

I want to see him play a little while longer before he is a resign. He has a long history of turning into a pu### when things get tough. A 20 game stretch of good hockey does not make him a must have. See Kovalev.

Well, we won't have the luxury of waiting until the playoffs are over (assuming we get there) before trying to re-sign him. Experience shows that allowing a player to get to that point is a dodgy proposition. So waiting for him to prove decisively that he can do it when the going gets tough isn't possible.

But re-signing him at this moment would indeed be premature. I'd wait another 20 games or so. 4 years at $4 mil would be a reasonable target, maybe?

I agree that if Bob lets him go - the one and only bona fide top-6 forward developed under his watch, incredibly, and everything you could want from a 2nd-line C - that will represent a colossal failure on this part and could well be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Most of you are right. We don't have the luxury of waitinig til the 40 game mark, cause at that point, Plex's agent will tell him: "You've waited this long, you can wait another 4 months!" ...and then we'll be screwed.

I bitched and I moaned over the past 18-20 months for Bob to get Komo signed....but noooo :rolleyes: , but didn't negotiate during the season, and look at where that lead us!!

Bobo has let far too many free agents go for nothing in return, if he loses Plex, he should get fired!

4 or 5 years at 3.75 or 4 million$ per year should be acceptable!

Edited by Habsfan

Most of you are right. We don't have the luxury of waitinig til the 40 game mark, cause at that point, Plex's agent will tell him: "You've waited this long, you can wait another 4 months!" ...and then we'll be screwed.

I bitched and I moaned over the past 18-20 months for Bob to get Komo signed....but noooo :rolleyes: , but didn't negotiate during the season, and look at where that lead us!!

Bobo has let far too many free agents go for nothing in return, if he loses Plex, he should get fired!

Komisarek?

Really?

Why would they be screwed?

BG could trade him for 1st rounder.

They would be screwed if he doesn't move him or sign him.

I meant it in the sense that we'd lose another promisiing young guy that was drafted by the habs for nothing!

Komisarek?

Really?

YEs, really! Until last year, Komo had progrssed nicely every year he was with the habs, and he made a nice duo with Markov. I understand that Markov made Komo look better, but Komo brought something to this team that Markov didn't.

You can't just look at the guys lost, you also have to consider the guys brought in as their replacements. No offence, but I get sick of this list (Komisarek, Souray, Streit, etc.) without the inverse list of replacements and whether they are better value. E.g., Hamrlik brings an all-around game that is arguably an improvement on Souray. Komisarek has been replaced by a committee of Mara and Spacek - two top-4 D-men for nearly the same price as what Komi would have cost us. Streit has never been replaced, so that's a legitimate grievance. Anyway, the point is we shouldn't only focus on one side of the ledger.

Having said all that, yes, Pleks should be re-signed, it's a matter of timing; 20 good games is not a sufficient case, though.

If you sign him now I believe his trade value is stunted, unless he is signed at under 2 mil a year. if his agent wants 4mil a year which is what he will want after all these years then I say wait... he would be the one forward after the "big" three that could bring us something in return. I personally would sign him him and keep him. But me thinking I know Gainey he wants real Habs at heart players (not saying Pleks isnt but he wants them to want to stay like Markov did) and always broaden his options for trade deadline.

Regardless we do need at least one big scoring powerhouse up front, and not having anyone as such in the prospect pen, means transactions/trades are in the near future

Edited by CoRvInA

More hair? A prettier face? Cocaine?

Ha Ha! Very funny guys! You know very well what he brought to the team.

I'm not gonna get into another one of these idiotic debates.

Pleks and metro are the only significant ufa's (ok really just pleks but I have been very impressed by Metro) this year. So Bob will probably sign them. His theory as best I can tell is that he wants to sign guys that want to be here, and whether he does that now or at the end of the season makes no diff if the guy WANTS to be in Montreal, as we saw in Souray and Komo, they did not want to be in Montreal and they left. That is why I think the signing during the season is a red herring. Bob is known as a fair person who will pay what you are worth, if someone else offers stupid money (streight and ryder) then best of luck. See ya later. Everyone thinks that agents are stupid and will allow their guy to sign for way less than they are worth cause they are 6 months away from free agency. Horse pucky, if I am an agent I am getting my guy the max dollar I can, cause MY income depends on it. Most free agents who sign before they become free agents sign for very close to market value and want to stay where they are. The day of the dummy hockey player getting a jacket to sign are gone people. They have agents who look out for their interests. And in the case of Kovalev, some of them overplay their hand and screw their clients up. Now as to komi the only free agent that we were hepped up to re-sign Bob looks like a genius cause they way that big injured goof is playing now he would be a very expensive Bulldog. Bob has shown that he is a cautious manager who will make very difficult decisions when necessary and that is what we need and want IMHO.

It depends on what he is asking. If he wants money based on the last 20 good games then I wait until game 40. If he is still playing at this level, them I might consider it. If he is willing to sign for a reasonable amount that includes his dismal performance last year, then go for it.

This is a contract year and 20 good games. This is not the time to sign a guy unless you are positive he is going to stay this good or get better. Unfortunately, I remember last year all too well. I want to see how he plays when the going gets rough and he is being targeted. People forget that Gomez and company are drawing the top defensive units and Pleks is not getting that much defensive attention, versus last year where most people viewed him and Kovalev as the guys to check.

Smart GMs are the ones that sign guys at a discount when then are struggling a bit, not the GMs that sign on a high note (not in a cap system that is).

On the other hand, if Gainey can't decide one way or the other by January, then trade him before he is worth zero. Don't assume you can sign him in June.

Good call, brobin. I admire your cool-headedness on this. I also suggested 40 games, and you've reinforce me in that opinion.

habs_rule, you make some good points, but more than one player - including Streit and Komi - has said that they wanted to re-sign with Montreal, but as matters drifted and time passed, they began to focus more and more on testing the UFA waters. So I'm not sure that Bob's supposed no-negotiation-during-the-season policy is as irrelevant as you say. Certainly, I can imagine myself in that situation: if I made overtures to the team and got politely told to wait, or if the team just showed no particular interest in re-upping me, I too would likely shrug and shift my mentality toward looking elsewhere. So there may be a simple element of human nature involved here.

Yeah, Komisarek really hasn't made a case for himself, either last season or this year so far. He looks harrowingly average, and it's possible that Gainey had him pegged all along.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber