D'Agostini Traded for Aaron Palushaj

koivu-11

Blues announce trade with Montreal -- Palushaj to Mtl, D'Agostini to StL. Official from press release.

As per Bob McKenzie.

Blues announce trade with Montreal -- Palushaj to Mtl, D'Agostini to StL. Official from press release.

As per Bob McKenzie.

well we just got another small player in the system.

it is a trade that does nothing, wrather then bench d'ags might as well just move him

like joe said, a roster spot is a roster spot.

Benoit Brunet said it well tonight after Darche's goal: D'Agostini could not fit on this line. Too much "finesse". Darche is a great fit and it is paying off.

Good luck Matt in St. Louis !

Some reports state that STL was pretty high on this kid for a few years. He's a little undersized, but reportedly has potential; let's see what Boucher can do with him.

Some reports state that STL was pretty high on this kid for a few years. He's a little undersized, but reportedly has potential; let's see what Boucher can do with him.

This is a SMART trade. D'Agostini was not ready and as you have seen Martin has no room for young players to develop in his line ups. Aaron is 6' and will be fine as soon as he puts on some weight and strength. I like his multiple point games for Peoria. What, he is 21, we have control of him for 2 years. Pierre you have done good. I would like to see more of the bulldogs older roster turned over to younger players. I think GM's are starting to get it, that you got to spend more time managing your younger assets.

I'm no capologist, but if I understand Brian's chart, it gives us 100k more to spend now, about 500k total

I agree with the $100 k in savings but 500k to spend? We're still $1.2 million over the cap, at least one more player dump needs to happen realistically in order to possibly get under by year's end. I've updated the cap sheet with the deal.

I like this move. The kid is only 20 years old. He has some good hands and isn't too small (6' /185 pds). Wait til he reaches 200 pds, he'll be tougher then!

Also, he used to play with Paccioretty in the minors. They used to be room mates!

It's a player that we needed to play right now, but couldn't justify it, for a guy with at least 2 1/2 years of development time to use if he needs it. That's a good thing. Plus, he has an awesome name. Not that D'Agostini didn't have that, too.

great, another ushl product that flat out sucks, and to boot he's a six foot wuss, where have we seen this style of player before?

Time to fire the every scout tied to ushl scouting, TT has been a disaster and can be directly held responsible for the 7yr + wasted experiment using valuable team foundation building top picks on US high school and college players. Bob's gone, time to move out his moronic foot scouting team.

Don't shoot the messanger, this is what those in STL thought of him.

"The knock on Palushaj is that he plays small. He’s real shy from the standpoint that he doesn’t welcome the physical aspect of the game like say a Lars Eller does. Palushaj’s lack of desire to get into confrontations is what likely allowed the Blues to second guess his long-term value."

I wouldn't get overly upset either way; D'Agostini wasn't doing anything for the Habs. Palushaj is a player they can send to Hamilton to work with Boucher (heck, he can play with Pacioretty) to see if there's something there. Seems to me it's a low risk, high(ish) reward deal. No issues with that.

Seems to me it's a low risk, high(ish) reward deal. No issues with that.

Exactly what I was thinking. This kid is only 20 years old. He can spend 2 even 3 years in hamilton. Take his time to develop into a bonafide NHLer. D'agostini wasn't doing anything in Montreal.

I like the talent analysis on the HF site on this prospect:

"Palushaj boasts a good all-around game. He can snipe goals with his quick shooting, and his stickhandling and playmaking abilities are also strong. He doesn't mind physical play, willing to dig in the corners to win the puck."

Palushaj was Pacorietty's team mate during his one year of college at the U. of Michigan. I am not sure that they were linemates, because I remember reading that Max had two older linemates (Kevin Porter and Chad Kolarik, both seniors and PHO prospects), but there's a decent chance that they played together at some time. He left college after 2 years, and averaged a little more than a point a game. W this being his rookie AHL season, he's managed to tie for 2nd on the team in goals scored, so I don't buy the reports that the guy is just a playmaker. I hope the Hamilton coaches consider him as a centre for some shifts, especially if Pyatt ends up staying in Montreal. To me, he sounds like a strong offensive prospect, who's still very young (20), with some two-way ability, but only average size. It's arguable that St. Louis is deeper in offensive prospects, when you look at they young players they have in the NHL and AHL, so they could gamble on moving Palushaj especially since he's not that close to NHL ready yet. I'm not sure why they are interested in D'Agostini, but I'm glad they agreed to the trade.

I don't know how anyone can be annoyed with this one. Most people wanted D'agostini waived outright. The Habs actually yielded a warm body in return for him. A former 2nd rounder at that (not that it means anything).

Apparently the Blues felt he struggled with bigger men.

For me, at least, this trade is less about Palushaj and more about the organization giving up finally on D'Ago and trying to get an asset for him. In this light, this trade is a win; D'Ago wasn't getting any better, so getting any asset for him is impressive.

Having said that, I think Palushaj is the missing link. Where's on Ste. Catherine's is the best place to see the parade??