Headshots

Doktor Kosmos

The problem with outlawing any type of hit to the head is height difference. Will tall players like Chara and Komisarek have to crouch down on every check they make since their shoulders are at head level for most players? As for awkward positions, it seems to me that players often put themselves in those positions on purpose to draw a penalty. How many times do you see guys risk injury by turning their back to a hit at the last moment trying to draw a boarding call?

In my opinion, the most important hit to get rid of is the late hit. How many guys do you see getting destroyed after they've already made a pass, shot, or dump in? Sure, sometimes the player is already committed to the hit and can't stop and that wouldn't be penalized. But most of the time, there is plenty of time for the player to avoid the hit and not go in full speed. On this play, for example, Cooke was already committed to the hit when Savard shot, but he had time to pull up somewhat and not destroy him. I'd say that a very high proportion of concussions come on either this type of play or boarding.

What does it matter if Chara has to avoid shorter people's heads when he throws hits. If Gionta hits someone low the refs still call it clipping and give him a penalty because hitting people low is dangerous. Should Komisarek and Chara be allowed to high stick shorter players?

They just don't seem to get it: Have a look at this hit on Seabrook.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314483

If I were Colin Campbell, that would be 10-15 games given the length he skated and the deliberate hit to the head.

The NHL needs to sort this shit out before someone gets killed.

Hopefully they will.