Price vs Halak - Who should we sign in the off season?

habs_25th

37 members have voted

1. 1. Price vs Halak - Who should we sign in the off season?

• Price
    • Halak
    • Both
    • Neither

So we got two RFA goalies at the end of the year. We may not be able to keep both because of salary cap issues. Price is supposed to have more potential. Personally I don't see it. He's just a big guy that doesn't play big and lets in bad goals. Halak is the man, IMO, and should be kept. Who should we keep, who should we trade?

Personally, I don't think the cost of the two goalies in terms of cap space should change much. Currently, Price's cap hit is 2.2 million and Halak's is a shade under 800k. Price should not come close that 2.2 figure and Halak should just about double his current number. That could put each goalie around the 1.5 million mark in my opinion. Of course, Price won't be happy about a paycut and Halak will likely want triple his current salary.

I dont think keeping Price would be a problem. Dont think he could get that much raise anyway. Halak on the other hand will be the tricky one to resign.

I say I want both resigned and Halak appointed no1 and hopefully Price accepts a 2-way deal and becomes the no1 for hamilton at least for a start. I might be dreaming, I dont know. Can Price be offered a 2way deal?

I dont think keeping Price would be a problem. Dont think he could get that much raise anyway. Halak on the other hand will be the tricky one to resign.

I say I want both resigned and Halak appointed no1 and hopefully Price accepts a 2-way deal and becomes the no1 for hamilton at least for a start. I might be dreaming, I dont know. Can Price be offered a 2way deal?

No, he can't. He's done in the AHL unless there are 30 teams that believe he's not a NHL goalie.

Both.

Agreed. We need to do all we can to keep both. I haven't given up on Carey yet. I'd like to see him for another 2 years. By the time he'll be 24, we'll have a way better idea of what we can expect from him in the future.

As for Halak, I think it's clear he should be the go to guy this year!

Another one of these?

Why is it all the Halak lovers make these threads just to have a place to trash Price as a bust at 22 years old?

Where was Halak at 22 years old again?

Edited by Habitforming

NEITHER!

Go out and get a Brodeur or Loungo and have a scrub back him up (Racicot or equal).........then (and only then) will this idiotic goaltending debate end.

:lol:

Personally, I don't think the cost of the two goalies in terms of cap space should change much. Currently, Price's cap hit is 2.2 million and Halak's is a shade under 800k. Price should not come close that 2.2 figure and Halak should just about double his current number. That could put each goalie around the 1.5 million mark in my opinion. Of course, Price won't be happy about a paycut and Halak will likely want triple his current salary.

i dont think u can offer a paycut to an RFA. that'd be less than their qualifying offer lol

i dont think u can offer a paycut to an RFA. that'd be less than their qualifying offer lol

Probably not, but much of Carey's cap hit is bonus. I've never heard of rules governing bonuses in business. It's a bonus.

Probably not, but much of Carey's cap hit is bonus. I've never heard of rules governing bonuses in business. It's a bonus.

Price's QO will be much less than the $2.2 M cap hit he's getting this season. Think of a player like Latendresse last season, he signed for less than what he was making (from 850,000 to 803,250). Come to think of it, Pouliot took a major pay cut this year when he first re-upped with Minnesota as well.

We sign both of course but I think the Habs should be worried about an offer sheet going to one of both of those guys.

Even a reasonable offer sheet would be too much for us to match unless we give up on Plex or shed some serious salary.

You are absolutely right. If somebody offers Price 2.9 million$, that would only give the habs a 2nd round pick as a compensation. I'm not sure if we have the room to offer Carey almost 3 million$ per year, when he's clearly not ready to be a no. 1 goalie in the league! That is why it is very important for Gauthier to get Plex signed ASAP!!!

Edited by Habsfan

You are absolutely right. If somebody offers Price 2.9 million$, that would only give the habs a 2nd round pick as a compensation. I'm not sure if we have the room to offer Carey almost 3 million$ per year, when he's clearly not ready to be a no. 1 goalie in the league! That is why it is very important for Gauthier to get Plex signed ASAP!!!

Imagine an offer to both Price and Halak for 2.9 million each. We can't match so we loose one or both for second round picks.

I can see Burke offering either goalie 2.9 million.

Imagine an offer to both Price and Halak for 2.9 million each. We can't match so we loose one or both for second round picks.

I'd rather not even think about it!

Desjardins would be thrilled.