Ovies Hit

bar

Actually there is an "attempt to injure" penalty on the books......and Cooke/Richards fit the definition to a tee and SHOULD have been called for it.

From the NHL's WEBSITE:

21.1 Match Penalty - A match penalty involves the suspension of a player or goalkeeper for the balance of the game and the offender shall be ordered to the dressing room immediately.

A match penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent in any manner.

A match penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who deliberately injures an opponent in any manner.

Edited by kenadian

Actually there is an "attempt to injure" penalty on the books......and Cooke/Richards fit the definition to a tee and SHOULD have been called for it.

From the NHL's WEBSITE:

21.1 Match Penalty - A match penalty involves the suspension of a player or goalkeeper for the balance of the game and the offender shall be ordered to the dressing room immediately.

A match penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent in any manner.

A match penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who deliberately injures an opponent in any manner.

So how does Downie get away with trying to break Crosby's knee, but Ovy gets suspended for playing with a little too much enthusiasm?

I'm on the fence on this whole thing. Two games seems reasonable for Ovechkin from a logical standpoint I guess. On the other hand, two games is garbage unless the NHL admits that special status for top 6 forwards exists over bottom 6. And that's still is garbage if they do admit it.

Why don't they admit it and just get it over with. Aren't you all glad Colin Campbell and Gary Bettman are our beloved NHL leaders?

To me that was much worse than the Lapierre hit. It also did more damage and drew a penalty from the ref. But given the double standard I'm going to say he gets 2 games. I think that deserves 5 or 6 games.

And....Ovie gets 2 games.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314125

Why wait for TSN to report it. I already told you what was going to happen. ^_^

If Ovie received four games...as was set with the Laps suspension, guess what game the caps star would miss?

Find out that, and there's your answer why it was not four games. It's kind of sickening. If the NHL had of suspended Ovie for that 4th game it would have went a LONG way in proving that they were serious about the same suspensions for everyone.

If they're going to be suspending guys for those two hits, than Laps obviously deserved the longer suspension. His push was way later than Ovechkin's was, Nichol was in more of a vulnerable position than Campbell, and Laps used a cross check as opposed to a push.

If they're going to be suspending guys for those two hits, than Laps obviously deserved the longer suspension. His push was way later than Ovechkin's was, Nichol was in more of a vulnerable position than Campbell, and Laps used a cross check as opposed to a push.

I agree. I originally thought Lapierre should've got 2 games and I think his was worse. I'd have been content with 1 game. When you consider he essentially missed a full game vs the Blackhawks, this is for all intents and purposes a 3 game suspension. I can't find too much wrong with this; 1 game less than what, in my opinion, was a worse hit - works for me.

The NHL factors in 'past history' to a lot of their suspensions. Laps is an idiot, a pest, but has no suspension history. Remember when Georgy got suspended earlier in the year the league said he had a history of trouble, yet, he had a lot less than what Ovie has racked up in the last 12 month period. I just find it unfair...the end result is nothing to me really, I just feel let down by the league.

The NHL factors in 'past history' to a lot of their suspensions. Laps is an idiot, a pest, but has no suspension history. Remember when Georgy got suspended earlier in the year the league said he had a history of trouble, yet, he had a lot less than what Ovie has racked up in the last 12 month period. I just find it unfair...the end result is nothing to me really, I just feel let down by the league.

They also factor in injuries and Scott Nichol is back playing hockey and Brian Campbell is out for the season.

Good one from Réjean Tremblay this morning. (Am I actually saying that !?!?! I really hate the guy)

"4 am, you're driving your car, the light is green so it is perfectly legal to cross.

But a drunk guy walks the other way and crosses the street at the same time and he's so drunk that he can't protect himself correctly.

What are you gonna do ? It is legal but the chances that you will injure someone are really high."

Sure you can cross the streets and then cry to the police that the light was green and that the other guy crossed the street at the same time, just like Lapierre and Ovie did.

But in the end what have you done ? You've just done an idiot, USELESS and DANGEROUS move there. These kind of moves often lead you in jail...

They also factor in injuries and Scott Nichol is back playing hockey and Brian Campbell is out for the season.

That just leads weight to my case that Ovie got off light...AGAIN. Someone on TSN made a point saying..the NHL will keep tacking on 2gm suspensions for other players that get the book thrown at him.

On a side note..did you hear what Boudreau said about how "I dont understand how having Ovie out of the league suspended is better for the league?" what arrogance...since they're a star player there should be people looking away from dirtiness? That is the height of arrogance by Boudreau...I hope someone hurts Ovie...and bad.

That just leads weight to my case that Ovie got off light...AGAIN. Someone on TSN made a point saying..the NHL will keep tacking on 2gm suspensions for other players that get the book thrown at him.

On a side note..did you hear what Boudreau said about how "I dont understand how having Ovie out of the league suspended is better for the league?" what arrogance...since they're a star player there should be people looking away from dirtiness? That is the height of arrogance by Boudreau...I hope someone hurts Ovie...and bad.

Boudreau is likely the biggest whiner in the NHL. He also blamed TSN for constantly talking about questionable hits.

Actually if you watch Laps' hit closely you'll see that it wasn't really late. Nichol's shot hits the post and bounces back to him. Nichols swings wildly at the puck as it goes by and at the same moment Laps shoves him.

Boudreau is likely the biggest whiner in the NHL. He also blamed TSN for constantly talking about questionable hits.

Boudreau is so irritating, I would love to smack the taste out of his mouth. I still remember him running his mouth about Koci earlier in the season, such a hypocrite with this kind of thing.