Habs @ Leafers | Game Thread

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand the logic behind Gomez in SO. He's a poor scorer. Is he a highlight reel machine in practice or something?

The Kulemin SO goal Halak should have stopped. And Martin shouldnt have sent Gomez out there.

Anyway. Another point, now tied with Ottawa with a game in hand.

Anyway. Another point, now tied with Ottawa with a game in hand.

Almost. Tied, same amount of games played, but Ottawa has one more win.

Why did JM put Gomez in the SO?

He's been used in every shootout this year. Same with Gionta (when healthy). His go to trio is Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta. They have a strong shootout record so he keeps using the same guys. Gomez has always been a go to shootout guy in NY and NJ.

He's been used in every shootout this year. Same with Gionta (when healthy). His go to trio is Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta. They have a strong shootout record so he keeps using the same guys. Gomez has always been a go to shootout guy in NY and NJ.

Ah ok

I'm not really a stat guy ^_^

Uh...

Can't we at least try Sergei Kostitsyn on the PP in place of Gorges or Hamrlik? You know, someone with offensive abilities?!

I definitely have to agree that both Hammy and Gorges really do stink on the pp. Hammy just to slow moving the puck and Gorges is just no threat to shoot. I'd rather have Spacek and definitely SK. And why not leave Marky ou there all pp unless he is tired.

While I hate to see the Habs lose a point I'm hoping the Leafs can claw a few more points out and don't give Boston a top 2 pick...and I'd prefer they didn't give them a top 4 pick. For that reason, and the fact this likely doesn't hurt our playoff chances, I'm okay with giving up a point.

While I hate to see the Habs lose a point I'm hoping the Leafs can claw a few more points out and don't give Boston a top 2 pick...and I'd prefer they didn't give them a top 4 pick. For that reason, and the fact this likely doesn't hurt our playoff chances, I'm okay with giving up a point.

I was thinking the same thing. Not about giving up the point, but about Boston getting the 2nd or 3rd overall. Ouch! Toronto played well yesterday. Their PK was very good. Our PP was pathetic. Way too predictable.

The Habs played like they were afraid to lose.

Hopefully they now realize that teams lose with that kind of mentality.

I was thinking the same thing. Not about giving up the point, but about Boston getting the 2nd or 3rd overall. Ouch! Toronto played well yesterday. Their PK was very good. Our PP was pathetic. Way too predictable.

I think the best PP move of the night was letting Gomes carry the puck in and pass it off to Gionta to allow the team to set up.

The way the standings are I'm content with the point. The SO win somewhat ruins the spoils of war in the Habs-Leafs rivalry. It's not that they can boast about destroying us. The SO (unless it's life or death on the line) between these 2 teams is sort of a let down versus a regulation win. A regulation loss would make for a sad sunday. When they got the point I was more in a "whatever, good enough" mood.

Right now it's .5 hockey for us to get to 89 points. The same thing I posted in the Rangers game thread. I'm certainly not content with going merely .5 in the last 10 games. But with TB and FLA losing last night that point did more damage to them. The Rangers look lost. The only wildcard I can see is Atlanta.

We got what we needed - .5 in a road game that had a lot of potential for much worse news such as an injury.

The way the standings are I'm content with the point. The SO win somewhat ruins the spoils of war in the Habs-Leafs rivalry. It's not that they can boast about destroying us. The SO (unless it's life or death on the line) between these 2 teams is sort of a let down versus a regulation win. A regulation loss would make for a sad sunday. When they got the point I was more in a "whatever, good enough" mood.

Right now it's .5 hockey for us to get to 89 points. The same thing I posted in the Rangers game thread. I'm certainly not content with going merely .5 in the last 10 games. But with TB and FLA losing last night that point did more damage to them. The Rangers look lost. The only wildcard I can see is Atlanta.

We got what we needed - .5 in a road game that had a lot of potential for much worse news such as an injury.

Exactly. The habs obviously weren't going to win 17 games in a row going into the playoffs. A loss is a loss, they happen. The team was flat, but managed a point, and left with all players healthy. I'll take it.

This loss could turn out to be a good thing. Losing to the 29th place team (while still picking up a point) could be a shot in the arm we need to keep improving our level of play. Also our power play playing so poorly will prove that, while our 5-on-5 has been good, we still need MAB back in the line-up.

OK, so it was the Leafs, so I live in Toronto. so I will exposed to rasberries at work, so.... dry my tears....

I'll get over it. The team wasn't on fire, but if this is how they play when not at 100%, I'll take it.

Everything I read about the team of late points to the excellent job that the coaching staff has done in improving and making the most of everything we've got.

How the hell are we doing so well with our special teams? They are truly special.

On an 'off' just a little night we played a pretty good game.

Kudos to Mr Bob Gainey for the team he rebuilt in a total makeover last year that has kept us again competitive and fun to watch.

I look forward to deep fried Cammalleri with MAB sauce.

Yeah Bob and le direction! And the players who have the tough job of making it happent every night. :clap:

I always laugh at how commentators talk about how the team isn't big enough to compete in the playoffs. Like from 76 to now, we have been a speed first team. The system may have changed, but size never really did. We have 6 cups in that time. The next best team for cups in that time frame is Edmonton. Currie and Gretzky were hulking bastards huh? How about Detroit? Their cup teams have been actually quite small. Franzen was the only big guy on the 07/08 team. Holmstrom and Cleary and Zetterberg are average sized. They just play big. This version of the Habs plays big. Hell the smallest guy on the team...in the league?? Gionta, is our net crasher!

I always laugh at how commentators talk about how the team isn't big enough to compete in the playoffs. Like from 76 to now, we have been a speed first team. The system may have changed, but size never really did. We have 6 cups in that time. The next best team for cups in that time frame is Edmonton. Currie and Gretzky were hulking bastards huh? How about Detroit? Their cup teams have been actually quite small. Franzen was the only big guy on the 07/08 team. Holmstrom and Cleary and Zetterberg are average sized. They just play big. This version of the Habs plays big. Hell the smallest guy on the team...in the league?? Gionta, is our net crasher!

While we'd certainly be better off with at least one bona-fide power forward in our top-6, on the whole the 'size' thing (team 'smurf' etc.) is fairly wildly overblown. Check out this terrific analysis for an exposé of this and other myths surrounding ye Habs:

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2010/03/d...habs-myths.html

You're right that the Habs have ALWAYS been accused of not being big enough and not being tough enough. Since at least the 60s, this has been a recurring trope. At times it's been justified; at times it's been a bizarre richochet off an ethnic stereotype of French Canadians as 'soft' players; but usually it's just more mindless chatter from a lazy media that can't be bothered to look into the actual personnel on the ice.

There's a deeper issue, too, which is the tendency to overvalue size and devalue skills and character. This has mercifully diminished since the lockout, but it's still with us. Dustin Penners, Steve Berniers and Todd Bertuzzis get endless second chances while Brian Giontas are forever being underrated, even when a Gionta has at least as big an outcome of games as those guys.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

While we'd certainly be better off with at least one bona-fide power forward in our top-6, on the whole the 'size' thing (team 'smurf' etc.) is fairly wildly overblown. Check out this terrific analysis for an exposé of this and other myths surrounding ye Habs:

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2010/03/d...habs-myths.html

You're right that the Habs have ALWAYS been accused of not being big enough and not being tough enough. Since at least the 60s, this has been a recurring trope. At times it's been justified; at times it's been a bizarre richochet off an ethnic stereotype of French Canadians as 'soft' players; but usually it's just more mindless chatter from a lazy media that can't be bothered to look into the actual personnel on the ice.

There's a deeper issue, too, which is the tendency to overvalue size and devalue skills and character. This has mercifully diminished since the lockout, but it's still with us. Dustin Penners, Steve Berniers and Todd Bertuzzis get endless second chances while Brian Giontas are forever being underrated, even when a Gionta has at least as big an outcome of games as those guys.

If you don't speak french, watch RDS. It allows you to make your own assessments and not rely on the lazy sportscasters to influence your opinion. If you do understand french, turn off the sound.

Brunet called out Phaneuf last night for being slow and not very physical. Healey broke out the hyperbole and

essentially spitshined Phaneuf's unit, proclaiming that Phaneuf is the reason the Leafs have played well of late.

So two people watching the same game with opinions that are diametrically opposed. Could bias have anything

to do with it? Damn right it does. So the lazy viewer watching CBC will regurgitate what Healey said, the lazy

viewer watching RDS will do the same with Brunet. Result? Numerous arguments between Leaf and habs fans on

Monday regurgitating the bias that they share.

If Hughson and Simpson think the Habs are too small, why care? Hal Gill is 6'7" and 250 lbs and is one of the

softest players I have ever seen, Josh Gorges is 6'1" 200 lbs and refuses to back down to anybody in the corners.

The majority of media (not all) offer an uninformed opinion on the majority of subjects. If you have watched

70 Canadiens games this season, why does Hughson have a more informed opinion? Don't overestimate ones

IQ or knowledge based on their job title.

Edited by Wamsley01

If you don't speak french, watch RDS. It allows you to make your own assessments and not rely on the lazy sportscasters to influence your opinion. If you do understand french, turn off the sound.

Brunet called out Phaneuf last night for being slow and not very physical. Healey broke out the hyperbole and

essentially spitshined Phaneuf's unit, proclaiming that Phaneuf is the reason the Leafs have played well of late.

So two people watching the same game with opinions that are diametrically opposed. Could bias have anything

to do with it? Damn right it does. So the lazy viewer watching CBC will regurgitate what Healey said, the lazy

viewer watching RDS will do the same with Brunet. Result? Numerous arguments between Leaf and habs fans on

Monday regurgitating the bias that they share.

If Hughson and Simpson think the Habs are too small, why care? Hal Gill is 6'7" and 250 lbs and is one of the

softest players I have ever seen, Josh Gorges is 6'1" 200 lbs and refuses to back down to anybody in the corners.

The majority of media (not all) offer an uninformed opinion on the majority of subjects. If you have watched

70 Canadiens games this season, why does Hughson have a more informed opinion? Don't overestimate ones

IQ or knowledge based on their job title.

Well said, the only problem is I gotta hear the arena sounds or the game just lacks intensity. Makes me remember the good old days when SRC's commentators went on strike and they aired the games with only the crowd noise :clap: