GDT: Buffalo (43-24-10) vs Montreal (38-32-8)

dlbalr

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One buzzard tried to fly to the game but was refused at the plane. He had two dead raccoons under his armpits, but the rule was only one carrion per passenger. :o

*rimshot*

^_^

I have a funny feeling they're going to win tonight, even though the pattern of the season suggests a loss. :hlogo:

Awww YEAH :hlogo:

Halak looked REAL good tonight. He projected that quiet, game-controlling calm that only really good goalies or really hot goalies can manufacture. Beautiful to witness.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

So.. can we forget about Price this year and just recognize that Halak is our number one guy going in to the playoffs. (nothing against Price, but at this time of year, you have to pick a guy and go for it).

Halak has earned the right to start the playoffs for us. Let's see how he does. So far, he seems to play best in important games.

Awww YEAH :hlogo:

Halak looked REAL good tonight. He projected that quiet, game-controlling calm that only really good goalies or really hot goalies can manufacture. Beautiful to witness.

Ya, I agree, and no Dman fell into the net with a puck either!!! :lol:

So.. can we forget about Price this year and just recognize that Halak is our number one guy going in to the playoffs. (nothing against Price, but at this time of year, you have to pick a guy and go for it).

Halak has earned the right to start the playoffs for us. Let's see how he does. So far, he seems to play best in important games.

I've not had much of an opinion on goaltending, but I have been obviously wowed by Halak of late, and even better, found Price to be much better in his recent starts than my recollection.

We appear to be well blessed with goaltenders.

Good move by le direction . :)

I am also impressed with the agressive play we have in our end. It looked like the boys blocked about 153 shots and near shots. Seemed like lots of hard work.

Halak to get every start for the rest of the season and playoffs, unless he totally blows it. Man I hope he can stay hot. Nothing beats a Psycho goaltender in the playoffs.

Perfectly said....go :hlogo: alak

Edited by SOOPAVILLIN

I know who I want to face in the first round now! Bring on the Sabres!!!

We should have beaten them last time too, remember, when Price collapsed? Kidding of course.

I was waiting for Ruff, good coach but he was a crappy player, to pull his goalie again.

Great effort paid dividends tonight. Hope they can keep it up down the stretch.

I look on TSN.ca and think oh riiight...gonna view some comments, gonna feel good about the fans commenting on OBs first goal of the season, the hustle of the 3rd and 4th line, but no. You know what I read? Price sucks...Price would have lost this game...Price this, Halaks best goalie ever, etc. Why do we have the most ######ed fans, seriously. Instead of praising Halak, who played very well, they bring down a player who DID NOT even touch the ice. This seems a fundamental flaw with Habs fans, they only praise players at the sake of another. If they really HAD to bring someone down to fulfill some sick desire why not pick on the top 2 lines, the scorers, who have been absent lately.

Two more wins seals the playoffs, they should win all three just for good measure (and so I can win the bet!).

Edited by bar

Very effective work by Montreal 3-4th lien against Philly and Buffalo.

Markov defensive play is at his best right now.

Plek and Gomez are effective centers defensively too.

You see we're i am going at...the two top lines can't score goals

and PP totally stinks. Majour point there is shooters have to get it

in. Pouliot , Cammelleri and Andrei K especially.

Halak will definitely be the starter at the beginning of the playoffs, but Price will have another start before the end of the season. Probably against Carolina if we clinch the win against the Islanders Tuesday. Halak will start the last game Saturday against Toronto and I'll make a prediction: if we take an early lead, Price will finish the game in the 3rd. Why? No need to expose Halak to an injury in the last game, and why not give a little work to Price just to keep him game-ready?

Very effective work by Montreal 3-4th lien against Philly and Buffalo.

Markov defensive play is at his best right now.

Plek and Gomez are effective centers defensively too.

You see we're i am going at...the two top lines can't score goals

and PP totally stinks. Majour point there is shooters have to get it

in. Pouliot , Cammelleri and Andrei K especially.

Yup. Right now we're in effect missing an entire line's worth of top-6 players. The three you mention are in a complete funk (Pouliot, in particular, looks completely and catastrophically lost out there; and I notice that nobody is praising Martin for continuing to use him in a top-line role, although they're the first to crap all over Martin for moving young guys off the top lines under similar circumstances). Anyway, this lack of a second line is, in my opinion, the main reason why we hit that slump - it also helps to explain the confused PP - and last night's win was impressive precisely because it happened despite the non-production from those guys. It's what will have to happen if we want to win without contributions from them. (And come to think of it, it wouldn't hurt for the team to continue to play like that once the Terrible Three start finding the net again).

This team, like a lot of teams in the "new NHL," actually spends a surprising portion of its time living and dying by its third and fourth lines. Hence the surprising impact of the Moore acquisition and the obvious jolt added by guys like Pyatt and Darche. Lapierre FINALLY played like his old self last night; that makes a huge difference. Sergei Kostitsyn, meanwhile, is a disproportionately and silently important guy on this team: not a top-6 forward, he adds a dangerous dimension of speed and skill to the bottom-6 that can just kill the opposition on a given shift.

These are the kinds of 'secret weapons' that play what I think of as the 'Christopher Higgins' role on a team - being bottom-6 guys who can, on any given night, make the impact on a game that you expect from your top-6. If they keep doing that, we will be tough to beat on most nights, especially if and when Kosty and Cammy wake up (I expect nothing from Pouliot). Can they do it regularly? We'll see. Lapierre may turn out to be the X-factor. If he wakes up, that could be huge, because when he's on his game he's one of the best checking C/pests in the league.

So, look to the bottom-6. And look to those missing three. If the former get in a zone, and the latter resurface in whole or in part, we become a dangerous first-round opponent.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber