Gomez for Selke?

saskhab

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hock...article1524026/

The Globe & Mail's James Mirtle puts Blair Betts as the league's top defensive forward, based on the competition level he faces, and the amount of goals against he is on the ice for at both even strength and shorthanded. Scott Gomez ranks 3rd, Brian Gionta 5th and Tomas Plekanec ranks 8th. I think Plexo is a bit more reliable, but he generally has to face the first PP unit since Martin rolls Plekanec and Moen first followed by Gomez/Gionta.

We've often mentioned how much we've relied on our top players in defensive situations, and here's proof that it's quite the anomoly league wide. No one has mentioned Gomez in the Selke talk (at times guys like McGuire have berated his effort in his own zone), most of it seems to be around Ryan Kesler. I've tried to get Plekanec in on the conversation, not knowing exactly how the numbers played out.

Gomez has struggled way too often in his zone to deserve to even have his name whispered in the same breath as "Selke". The Selke is for more than just +/- and PK performance, although they are good indicators. Takeaways has become the new obscure stat people look at for the Selke, one of the reasons Datsyuk has won it so often lately -- and why Kesler is getting attention this year.

Seeing how Datsyuk leads the league with 125 TKa, way in front of Kesler at 2nd with 80; I dont see how Gomez's 52 and Plex's 45 Tkas even compare.

If Gomez wins the Selke or is even in the running, I'm going to be the Habs #1 pick in this year's draft.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

If Gomez wins the Selke or is even in the running, I'm going to be the Habs #1 pick in this year's draft.

Dude, you are retired. :huh:

Gomez has struggled way too often in his zone to deserve to even have his name whispered in the same breath as "Selke". The Selke is for more than just +/- and PK performance, although they are good indicators. Takeaways has become the new obscure stat people look at for the Selke, one of the reasons Datsyuk has won it so often lately -- and why Kesler is getting attention this year.

Seeing how Datsyuk leads the league with 125 TKa, way in front of Kesler at 2nd with 80; I dont see how Gomez's 52 and Plex's 45 Tkas even compare.

The main problem is that takeways and giveaways are pretty unreliable stats (it's best to discount everyone's home numbers to eliminate bias). But I agree that he won't be considered, I just thought there might be a case to be made for these guys. They have done quite well in general.

These stats tend to focus on success in your own zone. Takeaways are more about forechecking. So this method favours guys on teams that are passive, while takeaways favour guys in more aggressive systems. If nothing else, one should compare in between the two systems and not favour one over the other. The type of system is out of a player's control, but who is best in those elements is more revealing of skill.

The main problem is that takeways and giveaways are pretty unreliable stats (it's best to discount everyone's home numbers to eliminate bias). But I agree that he won't be considered, I just thought there might be a case to be made for these guys. They have done quite well in general.

These stats tend to focus on success in your own zone. Takeaways are more about forechecking. So this method favours guys on teams that are passive, while takeaways favour guys in more aggressive systems. If nothing else, one should compare in between the two systems and not favour one over the other. The type of system is out of a player's control, but who is best in those elements is more revealing of skill.

I know, just saying that's what the Selke is judged on now. For people around the League, the Selke is about play without the puck, and takeaways is the ultimate individual "play without puck" stat. Datsyuk had revolutionized the way the Selke is awarded by killing everyone else in the takeaway column for a couple years now.

I know, just saying that's what the Selke is judged on now. For people around the League, the Selke is about play without the puck, and takeaways is the ultimate individual "play without puck" stat. Datsyuk had revolutionized the way the Selke is awarded by killing everyone else in the takeaway column for a couple years now.

Yeah, I don't think any Habs have a strong chance of being nominated.

The Selke now seems to go to the star player who's the best defensively. By all accounts, players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Crosby are great defensive players and deserve the nominations but it would be cool to see one-dimensional, bottom 6 defensive guys get a chance (like how Sundstrom was nominated once).