Sponsorship

Habsfan21

It's the American right trying to sabotage the Canadian government. You know, the same group who claims to be pro-Democracy.

Go ahead, bring the government down. The Liberals will just get back in. The Conservatives in this country are a joke.

Long story short, the Liberal party ( A centre/Centre left party that has been in power for 12 years) in Canada gave many millions to government agencies in Quebec which did nothing. It's a major fraud, and the trial is going on now. There was a gag order on the trial (A publication ban) that the media couldn't print out anything, but some American internet guys "published"(I don't really trust blogs for accuracy, especially biased ones that only put forward one view) the material. It's pretty damning stuff, and an election might be held soon (I want it to be later, so that I can vote in it...) that could kick the Liberals out of government and into opposition.

Also, politcaly in Canada, the Conservatives typically need a miracle (Or tacit PQ support) to gain government. This may be it. But, Leafs is pretty much right on the latter, because if you play with the numbers a bit, the Conservatives can only realisticly gain a minority in parliament, and the other 3 parties are ideologicaly opposed (The Liberals, the NDP (Social Democratic), and the Bloc Quebecois, a Social democratic/Separtist party), so if it does happen, it might be a 1980 style short parliament.

If I had to choose a party, it would have been the PC's of 1997-2003. But, they merged with the western Alliance, so it would be kind of a strange choice between them and the Liberals. I don't like Martin, but I like Harper even less. He looks like and acts like a freakish combination of George Bush and Al Gore

[Edited on 2005/4/5 by Habsfan21]

lol, sorry about that HF21, i was making a joke. The story is all over the place in Canada and makes the newspapers/tv frontpage each days for more than a year. It's making me sick lol.

Nothing to help Canada's unity, but to keep raising suspicion againts each other.

Originally posted by sakiqc

lol, sorry about that HF21, i was making a joke. The story is all over the place in Canada and makes the newspapers/tv frontpage each days for more than a year. It's making me sick lol.

Nothing to help Canada's unity, but to keep raising suspicion againts each other.

Oh, I know, I was talking to Fanpuck. My uncle said it's been non-stop. I'm kinda glad, though, that it's sticking. Chretien was made of teflon, nothing could stick to him.

[Edited on 2005/4/5 by Habsfan21]

Chretien was as bad as Mulrohney. This government proves several things. Been in power for a long time with majorty's will lead to corruption. It did with Mulrohney and it is now. Sad thing is it would be worse under Harper. So who's left? Jack Layton for PM?

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Chretien was as bad as Mulrohney. This government proves several things. Been in power for a long time with majorty's will lead to corruption. It did with Mulrohney and it is now. Sad thing is it would be worse under Harper. So who's left? Jack Layton for PM?

NDP? Maybe McDonough or Nystrom I could vote for, but not Layton. Not enough exp. (He was only a city counselor), and too focused on social issues.

I voted for McDonough in the 00 election.

I think the NDP will gain alot of support for the next election. Most of the people who used to vote Liberal will be giving the NDP their vote. No way they go to Harper. He and his party have too many holes. The only good thing the Tories would bring to Canada is increase funding for our military and tougher laws. Other than that, they pose a threat.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch the Martin address and the following opposition addresses yesterday? Martin said he would call an election one month after Gomery inquiery was finished (December/January election) and he apologized for the entire scandal.

Harper called it a sad display, and i tend to agree. Martin did something that was only usually seen during a National crisis, when the only people that are in a crisis are the Liberals. Martin's desperate for more time, but i don't think he's going to get it, Harper looks like he's going to bring down the government for a spring election.

Originally posted by Quebecois

Harper called it a sad display

Harper is the real sad display.

He doesn't want the inquiry to do it's work cause he knows Martin prolly knew nothing about that. That would translate into support for the Liberals. It is humerous to hear Harper hanging on the alligations from a man facing fraud chargers. The right-wing media are the ones driving all this. They're making people think alligations are true without going threw the judicial process. Odd how they're all for law and order any other time, except this time.

Oh well, three quarters of Canadians don't want an election. Should be funny when Harper calls a vote next month. The voters will turn on him and he'll become yet another joke in a long line of right-wing leaders in this country.

Harper called it a sad display

Harper is the real sad display.

He doesn't want the inquiry to do it's work cause he knows Martin prolly knew nothing about that. That would translate into support for the Liberals. It is humerous to hear Harper hanging on the alligations from a man facing fraud chargers. The right-wing media are the ones driving all this. They're making people think alligations are true without going threw the judicial process. Odd how they're all for law and order any other time, except this time.

Oh well, three quarters of Canadians don't want an election. Should be funny when Harper calls a vote next month. The voters will turn on him and he'll become yet another joke in a long line of right-wing leaders in this country.

Even if he does win a minority, who's going to do any of his objectives with him? Gay Marriage will probably pass on the way to an election, and the other 3 parties won't revoke it; all three won't support further tax cuts (The NDP especially); and just about any cuts to medicaire/social services won't happen.

So, he can't please the Westerners for risk of making the government fall apart. This is smelling like 1979. Hopefully the Liberals can give a minority to the Tories this time, bring in a new revitalising leader (Tobin or Manley?), and then take back what they lost when the next minority falls.

All we need is a Benevolant Dictator to solve the problems...

No more arguing and no more sorry party politics... Our Glorious leader will see that all will be taken care off and bring back Hockey.

I would happily volunteer for such a responsible position with all of your votes, I believe we can make the difference. Once I am elected, I may have to have you removed, but think of the sacrifice you make for you country and for your hockey team...

Question: Does anyone here take me seriously? Anyone?

WOO HOO>>> Post #99 (just noticed) What a way to go.. :)

[Edited on 2005/4/26 by Cadian]

(oops, clicked the wrong button. didn't change anything)

[Edited on 2005-4-27 by sakiqc]

If the Liberals lost the scandals, increaded funding to the military and revamped the justice system, they'd easily win a majoirty every four years. Nobody is interested in what Harper is selling. The only reason he'd ever get elected is because of people being mad at the Liberals. Lets not forget when Paul Martin first took over as P.M, his support was over 50%. So people like him, it's just the scandal has hurt the party.

If we had a choice in Canada between MP and PM, Martin would easily get elected as PM.

If the Liberals lost the scandals, increaded funding to the military and revamped the justice system, they'd easily win a majoirty every four years. Nobody is interested in what Harper is selling. The only reason he'd ever get elected is because of people being mad at the Liberals. Lets not forget when Paul Martin first took over as P.M, his support was over 50%. So people like him, it's just the scandal has hurt the party.

If we had a choice in Canada between MP and PM, Martin would easily get elected as PM.

Ah, but thankfully, it doesn't. From living here, Americans only really pay attention to the Presidential elections, and the house has something of a 94% incumbancy rating. At least in the Parliamentary system, there's a clear element of who to blame for problems and problems can be cleaned out. Sponsership compared to what's going on in the House of Reps is a kid taking a sucker in a candy store.

Westminster has flaws, but it's a lot better then the American system.

Originally posted by Cadian

All we need is a Benevolant Dictator to solve the problems...

No more arguing and no more sorry party politics... Our Glorious leader will see that all will be taken care off and bring back Hockey.

I would happily volunteer for such a responsible position with all of your votes, I believe we can make the difference. Once I am elected, I may have to have you removed, but think of the sacrifice you make for you country and for your hockey team...

Question: Does anyone here take me seriously? Anyone?

WOO HOO>>> Post #99 (just noticed) What a way to go.. :)

[Edited on 2005/4/26 by Cadian]

Congrats for post #99 :clap::/)

Don't worry, i don't think we took you seriously hehe

[Edited on 2005-4-27 by sakiqc]

I'm smelling a (surprise) move by the Bloc Quebecois.. That's an historic moment in Canada's history. If the BQ follow a logical line, they could be ready to do something big. Story isn't over yet

Martin might be saved from a snap election aferall, as the NDP has cut a deal with the Liberals. The key will be the 3 independants and how they choose to vote.

Parrish would vote for the government, Cadman against (But only able to vote if the doctor OK's the plane trip), and Kilgour....probably against.

Originally posted by Habsfan21

Martin might be saved from a snap election aferall, as the NDP has cut a deal with the Liberals. The key will be the 3 independants and how they choose to vote.

Parrish would vote for the government, Cadman against (But only able to vote if the doctor OK's the plane trip), and Kilgour....probably against.

She says she will. The others apprently will too because they don't want an election.

I love how an overwhelming amount of Canadians do not want an election yet Harper keeps pushing for it. Boy he is gonna be sorry. People will punish him more than they'll punish the Liberals.

Originally posted by Cadian

I just hope the BQ does not do somethinf that we as a country might regret. We are all Canadians and need to work together to work things out.

I agree but at the same time I understand why people in Quebec wanna leave. People in English Canada, not all but alot, have no respect for Quebec or it's people. I've lived in southern Ontario my whole life and the amount of ignorance, racism and intolerant that is shown together French Canadians is disgusting. People think I am French cuz I cheer for the Habs but I'm not so needless to say I hear racist comments.

I personally love Quebec. It's a great place to visit and I like the people. I do not want them to leave, but I do understand why they'd wanna.

It's not a question of love or not. It's a question of personal identity. Most people in Canada cannot understand it, because their identity is found into the nation of Canada. And the idea of the Canadian nation cannot be without Quebec. For people in Quebec, their identity is found in the nation of Quebec, which is a plurinational state create around a French language and culture. If Quebec wants to leave, it's because his own identity was never recognized within the idea of the Canadian nation. Since its identity is not recognized, it feel exclude from the idea of the nation, and there is why the desire of forming his own nation. To be logical with his idea of plurinational state, a soverign Quebec would recognize the identity of the English population and the aborigen communities. There's no reason to hate Canada. It's more a question of authenticity and principle.