Good Season...

TheDriveFor25

With Markov's injury I didn't think the boys would get into the Playoffs. I know there is still one game left, but just thought I'd say good season, see everybody next year, and looking forward to the draft and seeing next years lineup. Been saying it for years, gotta get bigger and stronger.

With Markov's injury I didn't think the boys would get into the Playoffs. I know there is still one game left, but just thought I'd say good season, see everybody next year, and looking forward to the draft and seeing next years lineup. Been saying it for years, gotta get bigger and stronger.

Well, the team did sort of surpass expectations, in that the 'experts' generally predicted a playoff miss for them, everyone expected the team to go belly-up without Markov, and the 'experts' universally anticipated a total demolition job by the Caps in the playoffs. Instead we scraped into the playoffs, played around .500 without Markov, and *almost* had the Caps down 2-0. All things considered: not bad for a transition year.

But as I've been saying, management has now run out of excuses. If they try to foist lateral moves on us this summer, the fans will not be fooled, and should not accept it. The goal going forward is NOT to surpass modest expectations. It is to contend for the Stanley Cup. That's it, that's all.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Unless your in the east. Good enough for the playoffs.

As mentioned earlier injuries to key players, new coaching staff, turned over more then half the team.

There is still alot of work to be be done to be a playoff contender.

I predicted them 6-12, they wound up 8.

Overall i'll give them a B-.

Im happy with this years result concidering injuries and a lot of new faces. My problem is will this team improve at all during the horrible contracts we are stuck with for the next 3-6 years? Unless PK Subban is the new Bobby Orr and some other young players step up (Price, Pacioretty, Maxwell, Pouilot...)

I can only see us go downhill but I guess that means better draftpicks and maybe filling the team with more talented young players. I wish I could speed time ahead for the team 5 years or so and see where we are then.

Im happy with this years result concidering injuries and a lot of new faces. My problem is will this team improve at all during the horrible contracts we are stuck with for the next 3-6 years? Unless PK Subban is the new Bobby Orr and some other young players step up (Price, Pacioretty, Maxwell, Pouilot...)

I can only see us go downhill but I guess that means better draftpicks and maybe filling the team with more talented young players. I wish I could speed time ahead for the team 5 years or so and see where we are then.

I think development from within is a possibility. If MaxPac and Subban are regulars in two years, that'd help a lot.

But I'm not so sure that contracts are as crippling as all that. We need to be aggressive in managing bad contracts: labouring relentlessly to ship them out, possibly even send guys to the minors, stuff like that. Flatlining at where we are in this series is unacceptable. If Gauthier finds that a headache, well, he wanted the big chair, now he's got to get creative.

The really unfortunate thing about all this is that if we didn't fall completely on our faces and slide ass-first into the playoffs, losing our way from 6th to 8th, we would've been playing either a) Vanek-less Sabres with a down-to-earth Miller or b) a NJ team with Brodeur showing his age once again and no chemistry up front. I don't think any series would've been a cake-walk, but I seriously have a hard time beleiving this Habs team wouldn't be sitting in Round 2 after 5 or 6 games with the level of effort they have mustered against the Caps thus far.

Maybe its karma, or just bad luck, either way it's sad to see what could've been if they boys just found a way to do ANYthing down the stretch.