GDT: Game 7, Montreal vs Washington

dlbalr

But who really cares then? The whole point of making a great upset, or winning any playoff round, is that it takes you one step closer to winning the Cup. If our great victory is that we're going to lose - but not yet, we get to play an extra week! - then what does it matter?

Playoffs are about the Cup. 8 teams left with a chance to win the Cup. Montreal is one of them.

My philosophy is that you celebrate an enormous upset like this for everything it's worth. There is something niggardly about refusing to appreciate an accomplishment like this because we want to pretend it's 1977. Like I said: enjoy every moment. These are the good times.

Nah, you are actually the one missing the big picture IMO. You can't label a season as a failure everytime it doesn't end in a Stanley Cup.

1. It is damn exciting when your team does well, let's face it, that was fun.

2. It is a process, very few teams will go from missing the playoffs to winning the cup the next year. It would seem to me that very few teams will go from losing in the first round to winning the cup the next year. Each game in the 2nd round is one more chance for our players to earn even more experience for the years to come. Wining the Stanley Cup will very rarely come overnight, it is a process. And this is a big step in that process.

Well said.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I take full credit for this win. Misa Campo FTW!

2. G+G were awesome. Shades of Rick Green and Craig Ludwig in 86.

3. ...

4. AK = 3.5M$ needed to resign Plekanec.

5. SK = 585K needed for a new zamboni

6. Halak to move it move it.

7. We played the same rope-a-dope strategies that got us pretty far in 2002. Not sure how much it'll work against the Pens.

8. The players' mood after being down 1-3 in the series surely showed mental focus. I hope it becomes a new team philosophy.

AK = 3.5M$ needed to resign Plekanec.

5. SK = 585K needed for a new zamboni

HAHAAHAHA!

I totally agree with the AK and SK verdict. Lots of talent...no interest. Virtually every time AK was near the puck , he coughed it up or dumped it nowhere and seemed very disengaged. He should be playing for the girls in his hometown.

We outplayed these guys right from the start. I am only a little surprised that we won.

We needed and got amazing goaltending.

G&G were gods out there. And the veteran crew mentionned. SOLID

Great victory.

I really did think we could do it.

Terrific coaching ( as far as I can tell)

STOP BICKERING AND ARGUING!!!!!

WE WON!!! WE BEAT THE F***ING CAPS!!! WE CAME BACK FROM A 3-1 DEFICIT AND CHOKED THE LIFE OUT OF THE BEST OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE!!!!

WE SHOOK THE WORLD! WE SHOOK THE WORLD!!! WE SHOOK THE WORLD!!!

NO NEGATIVITY ALLOWED TONIGHT!!! Or I bring the banhammer down hard!!

WE SHOOK THE WORLD!!!

Yes we did sir, yes we did.

ATTA boy boys!!

Halak's hand was shaking as he shook hands after the game.

Edited by Toronthab

Halak's hand was shaking as he shook hands after the game.

:lol: Quote of the series!

STOP BICKERING AND ARGUING!!!!!

WE WON!!! WE BEAT THE F***ING CAPS!!! WE CAME BACK FROM A 3-1 DEFICIT AND CHOKED THE LIFE OUT OF THE BEST OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE!!!!

WE SHOOK THE WORLD! WE SHOOK THE WORLD!!! WE SHOOK THE WORLD!!!

NO NEGATIVITY ALLOWED TONIGHT!!! Or I bring the banhammer down hard!!

F*CK YEEEAH!!! You tell em Mr. KoZed! :clap::clap::clap:

Great victory. Halak made the difference. Whatever happen between him and Price, he has shown to everybody that he has the right stuff to be number one. Great goaltending, great team effort and great coaching by Martin. What a night!

Well, ForumGhost, I'll admit one thing. Never, ever, not for one moment, did I think we had even a snowball's chance after Games Two and Three. My faith was ZERO. I laughed at people who spewed the old 'it ain't over til it's over' stuff. Never have I been so happy to have been proven wrong in my life ^_^

In my defence, though, the record will show that I've been a qualified defender of Gainey's moves, this team, and even Jacques Martin all season long. I knew this team had it in it to be good. I knew that if our goalie got hot, we had a chance to do some damage. But a comeback upset victory on this scale? WOW. Never saw that coming! :hlogo:

You laugh, but if they go down 2-0, somebody will call for Price to start Game 3.

If it happens, that's a possibility. IMO, Halak needed the break. He came up stronger. It happened quite a few times during the season, that he looked better after a few games off the ice.

If it happens, that's a possibility. IMO, Halak needed the break. He came up stronger. It happened quite a few times during the season, that he looked better after a few games off the ice.

Like I keep saying, Halak has never played more than 45 games in one season in five years of pro hockey at any level. Burnout is a very real concern going forward - JC is wise.

:lol: Quote of the series!

F*CK YEEEAH!!! You tell em Mr. KoZed! :clap::clap::clap:

Why thank you! You usually beat me to anything I would have said! :P

IS EVERYBODY HAPPY!!??

Great victory. Halak made the difference. Whatever happen between him and Price, he has shown to everybody that he has the right stuff to be number one. Great goaltending, great team effort and great coaching by Martin. What a night!

Amen!

Well, ForumGhost, I'll admit one thing. Never, ever, not for one moment, did I think we had even a snowball's chance after Games Two and Three. My faith was ZERO. I laughed at people who spewed the old 'it ain't over til it's over' stuff. Never have I been so happy to have been proven wrong in my life ^_^

In my defence, though, the record will show that I've been a qualified defender of Gainey's moves, this team, and even Jacques Martin all season long. I knew this team had it in it to be good. I knew that if our goalie got hot, we had a chance to do some damage. But a comeback upset victory on this scale? WOW. Never saw that coming! :hlogo:

I will certainly vouch for you CC. You kept taking words right out of my mouth all year. Solid support. I saw a team in the playoffs that took it to them every game. I thought we outplayed them. We outplayed them tonight.

Ah man, I just realized we have to play the well-rested Pens in 2 days. Talk about a disadvantage... Couldn't they give us one more day?

Celebrate, Celebrate...dance to the music!

To quote a whole bunch of people from this site a couple months ago. "WHy are we not selling off wholesale? Even if we make the playoffs we are nothing but 1st round fodder for the real class teams of the league." All you non-believers know who you are. I hope you enjoy eating crow for breakfast this morning, but no. You will be the ones at the office going on like you believed all along!

Personally, I have always believed and still do.

12 more wins!

Man, we have no starting goalie, we have terrible defense and can't score. Our coaches system is non-existant and we are damn near the leafs. You all know who you are. Please be humble today fair weather fans.

To quote a whole bunch of people from this site a couple months ago. "WHy are we not selling off wholesale? Even if we make the playoffs we are nothing but 1st round fodder for the real class teams of the league." All you non-believers know who you are. I hope you enjoy eating crow for breakfast this morning, but no. You will be the ones at the office going on like you believed all along!

12 more wins!

Man, we have no starting goalie, we have terrible defense and can't score. Our coaches system is non-existant and we are damn near the leafs. You all know who you are. Please be humble today fair weather fans.

LOL

Our next loss and this board will go from jubilation to "everyone sucks". Halak isn't a real #1, Gil is too slow, Plex is a girl, Martin is the dumbest coach ever.

It feels great to be in round 2! :clap:

12 more wins!

If finishing 8th in the East and then being first round fodder (as happened last season) is the worst possible situation, what is finishing 8th, winning Round 1 unexpectedly and then being 2nd round fodder?

In 2002, we pulled off the upset against the big, bad Bruins, and then lost to Carolina in 6. Was that a successful, failed or average season?

What if we make it to the THIRD round and then lose?

How far do we have to go in the playoffs before we can truthfully assure ourselves that this outcome is preferable to the one had we tanked 40 games ago and drafted Hall? :D

All the arrogance the Caps have shown just me made me hate them, seeing Boudreau face despared looking

for answer, seeing Green have NOTHING, Ovechkin and Semin as individualist in a team sport is just satisfying enough.

The flip side is to hear comments on who is the better fan, the most loyal, the purest, the cleaner than clean.

That's just b.s..

If finishing 8th in the East and then being first round fodder (as happened last season) is the worst possible situation, what is finishing 8th, winning Round 1 unexpectedly and then being 2nd round fodder?

In 2002, we pulled off the upset against the big, bad Bruins, and then lost to Carolina in 6. Was that a successful, failed or average season?

What if we make it to the THIRD round and then lose?

How far do we have to go in the playoffs before we can truthfully assure ourselves that this outcome is preferable to the one had we tanked 40 games ago and drafted Hall? :D

Honestly, to me, making it to the dance is more important than a draft pick. If you can make the playoffs you have a shot at the cup, regardless of if you placed 1st or 8th . It is a new, very different season come spring and home ice doesn't mean alot. I would rather not win the president's with a team that is 1st round fodder after missing the playoffs for years to draft said 1st place regular season team. At least that is what I am smoking in my pipe!

Could this have gone better though? What happens to Josie Theopendore now?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Honestly, to me, making it to the dance is more important than a draft pick. If you can make the playoffs you have a shot at the cup, regardless of if you placed 1st or 8th. It is a new, very different season come spring and home ice doesn't mean alot. I would rather not win the president's with a team that is 1st round fodder after missing the playoffs for years to draft said 1st place regular season team. At least that is what I am smoking in my pipe!

I agree. I'd give us a 25-33% chance of beating Pittsburgh. But some people seem to think we have absolutely no chance of going further (let alone winning the Cup) - so then why should these people be so ecstatic that we survived another round? The reason to be happy is that it's 1 down, 3 to go.

Yea, i wouldn't have believed you can give up 40+ shots a night and win in the playoffs but i'm happy to be wrong.

They'll need to pick up the pace offensively in the next round for sure i think.

The new core and obviously Halak deserve alot of credit for playign some pretty good hockey at times during the Caps series. Gill and Gorges were incredible.

Has anoyone seen AK46? Can someone tell him the season is still going. At this point point i would rather see Darche on that line.

Has anoyone seen AK46? Can someone tell him the season is still going. At this point point i would rather see Darche on that line.

Agreed. In the last 3 games, AK46 continually coughed up the puck and didn't provide much offensively. He looks like he doesn't care. With the exception of the 2nd game where he scored a hat trick, I don't think AK46 played well at all!

I think it's safe to say that he and his brother will not be back next year. We need the money to resign Halak, PLex and Price!