Subban recalled...

rafikz

From Cyberpresse; sorry its in French

Avec Hamrlik qui en arrache, Marc-André Bergeron qui présente un différentiel de -8 en quatre parties et Jaroslav Spacek qui n'a pas fait le voyage à Washington en raison d'un virus, ne serait-il pas temps de poser un geste et de rappeler le jeune P.K. Subban?

«J'en ai parlé avec Pierre (Gauthier) et la décision revient aux opérations hockey, a dit Martin. Cela dépendra de la santé de nos joueurs.

«De plus, nous avons un problème au niveau des rappels puisque nous ne pouvons en faire qu'un seul.»

En effet, le Canadien n'avait droit qu'à quatre rappels après la date-limite des transactions et trois d'entre eux ont déjà été utilisés.

C'est d'ailleurs par mesure de prévention que Ben Maxwell reste à Montréal sans qu'il n'ait joué depuis des semaines.

Mais même s'il ne reste qu'un seul rappel au Tricolore, la situation en est-elle rendu au point où rappeler Subban est la mesure de dernier recours appropriée?

Ce sera à Pierre Gauthier de le déterminer.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

summary: Habs have 1 call-up left, Martin wants Subban but its Gauthier that decides.

Pretty much

I'm all for it

We could use his energy and enthusiasm

Subban is a believer

summary: Habs have 1 call-up left, Martin wants Subban but its Gauthier that decides.

So Gauthier is actually considering placing Hamilton's playoff chances above than Montreal's? I don't think at this point any change will be big enough to make a difference in this series, but if the coach thinks a guy can make a difference, the GM needs to back him up. I mean, this isn't like making a trade or even making a waiver claim - it's a stinking AHL call-up. If Gauthier doesn't allow the call-up, I'd say Martin is done as Montreal's coach.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Yeah but Martin also added that it will depend on the health of their players... Spacek was already out last game, so regardless of Bergeron's horrendous -8 I don't see it happening either... Unless of course, someone else is injured.

Yeah but Martin also added that it will depend on the health of their players... Spacek was already out last game, so regardless of Bergeron's horrendous -8 I don't see it happening either... Unless of course, someone else is injured.

I think the Spacek injury caught them a bit by surprise... probably figure Subban is better option on D than Bergeron, and they'll bench a forward (guessing it'll be SK despite his strong game).

Would they outright bench one of Bergeron or O'Byrne for Subban? I'm doubtful of that.

Would they outright bench one of Bergeron or O'Byrne for Subban? I'm doubtful of that.

Honestly, I can't think of a single good reason not to dress Subban over Bergeron. Granted, it's not all Bergeron's fault - Martin is insane for giving him so many minutes.

Incorrect, that went away when the playoffs started; most people don't seem to know that though. In fact, Buffalo called 8 players up early this afternoon. Callups are unlimited from here on in.

Incorrect, that went away when the playoffs started; most people don't seem to know that though. In fact, Buffalo called 8 players up early this afternoon. Callups are unlimited from here on in.

Yeah the callups are from TDL to the end of the regular season right ?

Honestly, I can't think of a single good reason not to dress Subban over Bergeron. Granted, it's not all Bergeron's fault - Martin is insane for giving him so many minutes.

Same with me. If you still want Bergeron in the lineup as emergency, just put him at forward. But right now Subban on the 2nd PP unit is a lot better option than what you have right now, which BTW has given up 2 SH goals against.

Actually, Bergeron at forward would allow you to play him the full 2 minutes on the PP. Have Subban come in for the 2nd unit with Bergeron. Leave Hamrlik on the bench.

Yeah the callups are from TDL to the end of the regular season right ?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. If other teams can pull their farm teams up without issue, so can the Habs; unless (and this caveat may be there) teams can bring up their guys only when eliminated. If that's the case, then the limit still may be in place.

(Goes and reads his copy of the CBA looking for answers before making a fool of himself further...)

I know others say no because of the 'effect' it could have on his confidence. But really, for a guy of that mental character, I don't think there would be any negatives at all. He gets a little playoff experience. Gets another game with the big boys. I think it's all good.

The Pirates were eliminated, that's why Buffalo made all those callups. I don't know if what you say is true... the point of the rule is to keep the AHL competitive. That doesn't end with the playoffs.

The problem with MAB is that everybody else -- except Markov -- are horrible at moving the puck and jumpstarting the offense. And I'm not even mentionning the PP. That's the only reason MAB gets so much minute. He's Mark Streit circa 2008.

Down 2-1, I didnt want Subban because it's throwing the towel on the current players too soon. Facing elimination at 3-1, now the coach is justified to try anything he wants.

And the game is not in Montreal, so less pressure on Subban.

The Pirates were eliminated, that's why Buffalo made all those callups. I don't know if what you say is true... the point of the rule is to keep the AHL competitive. That doesn't end with the playoffs.

Yep, just read through the CBA, the 4 recall rule is off "...upon completion of the regular season and playoff schedule of the club to which they (in this case, the Bulldog players) were Loaned." (Article 13.12 (l)(iii)) In other words, I just pulled a Don Cherry...ranted before gathering the facts; my bad, sorry.

Essentially, when the Bulldogs are eliminated, the 4 recall rule goes away. I think the Habs still have a chance, but boy I wouldn't get my hopes up about us calling up the farm this year.

Hamilton can eliminate the Moose tomorrow which means their 2nd round wouldn't start for a little while, that would negate some of the potential worries about spending that 4th call up (of which I can only find 2 myself, Subban would be the 3rd by my count).

Subban looked pretty cool in the one game I saw in the Hammer. But what the hell do I know? :P

Look for our team to come out and capitalize.

They have played the better series.

Hamilton can eliminate the Moose tomorrow which means their 2nd round wouldn't start for a little while, that would negate some of the potential worries about spending that 4th call up (of which I can only find 2 myself, Subban would be the 3rd by my count).

Maxwell was recalled Mar. 5, demoted Mar. 12, and recalled Mar. 15. That's 3 moves. I was under the impression that demotions count as a move. That's why they didn't send Maxwell BACK to Hamilton.

Doesn't look like he will be recalled for today's game. Too bad. IMO, it's a mistake. We need all the help we can get and he has shown that he is able to contribute. Bad decision by Gauthier.

Maxwell was recalled Mar. 5, demoted Mar. 12, and recalled Mar. 15. That's 3 moves. I was under the impression that demotions count as a move. That's why they didn't send Maxwell BACK to Hamilton.

I don't get that impression when I read the rule, though your explanation certainly makes sense. Sadly, I can't copy/paste from the CBA so here's a screenshot of the rule:

2j1tsh0.jpg

I find it specifically says 4 recalls, not 4 roster moves. The 3rd transaction is actually a hidden Pyatt one, who was recalled and demoted back on March 3rd for reasons inexplicable to me. The thing is, this isn't the first time that's happened with him this year.

I find it specifically says 4 recalls, not 4 roster moves. The 3rd transaction is actually a hidden Pyatt one, who was recalled and demoted back on March 3rd for reasons inexplicable to me. The thing is, this isn't the first time that's happened with him this year.

Hmm.... maybe they sent him down in anticipation of a trade that never materialized?

Considering the Habs likely have some overage carrying over from this year's cap to next, they should really use this last recall just to use every single last thing they possibly could on this team.

The problem with MAB is that everybody else -- except Markov -- are horrible at moving the puck and jumpstarting the offense. And I'm not even mentionning the PP. That's the only reason MAB gets so much minute. He's Mark Streit circa 2008.

Down 2-1, I didnt want Subban because it's throwing the towel on the current players too soon. Facing elimination at 3-1, now the coach is justified to try anything he wants.

And the game is not in Montreal, so less pressure on Subban.

There's a big speed difference and skill set between OV and the AHL. Is this the best time to start acclimatizing Mr. Sub?

There's a big speed difference and skill set between OV and the AHL. Is this the best time to start acclimatizing Mr. Sub?

From a team perspective, will he do any worse than Bergeron is doing? I don't even know if that would be possible, since Bergeron has not brought anything to this series. From a development perspective, you're not gonna hurt him unless you do something stupid like tell him he's the team's last hope at pulling out the win. If they tell him to just play his game and that he's just up to bring a spark of heart to the team, one game isn't going to hurt him.