GDT: Game 2, Habs vs Penguins

dlbalr

crosby sounding like the caps.. we are better.. they will go in eventually.. blah blah...

Spacek still sound like he is MIA... messed up inner ear.. those things don't clear too quickly. :(

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised by the win

A little rest, some adjustments, especially in the PK deptartment

JM is the kind of coach who uses the 1st games to see what's working and not, them adjusts

I think it took him 4 games in the Caps series to make any meaningful change.

I can't believe we are coming back to Montreal with the Series tied 1-1. After those first ten minutes, I was sure we were doomed, but our boys hung in there and Cammalleri made the Penguins pay when it counted!

Great win!!!

Same here. ANd it was fun to see Crosby frustrated all game long! And Malkin.. was almost invisible!

What's happening with Plekanec though?! Just a lack of energy or what? I really like Moen as a playoff warrior, but we do need A.K. playing like he did in game 2 of the first round. If they are going to play 1 minutes anyways, I'd rather have the 2 Kost brother on the 4th line than Darche and Maxwell, who by the way were on the ice for the lone Pens goal this afternoon.

I think it took him 4 games in the Caps series to make any meaningful change.

Better late than never :lol:

Captain Kelowna did a great job on Crosby

I'd also like to find out if there is any chance at all of calling up another Damn from hamilton if Spacek is still out.

Must've missed this earlier, we cannot call up a d-man unless we drop below 6.

If another D goes down, we would be allowed to make an emergency callup (likely Belle or Weber). If it stays status quo though, we can't as emergency conditions don't hit until we're down to 5 D.

If Bergeron can't go Tuesday, then they can call someone up. If not, no recalls will be permitted.

Hope the boys realize that neither Crosby nor Malkin brought their A game.

Crosby: 1 shot, no points, -2

Malkin: 3 shots, no points, -1

Crosby averaged four shots a game during the regular season. I think our boys had something to do with his lack of results, too ...

Habs brought the old Devils style of game. Don't touch the puck and win.

JM must teach them how to work well without the puck, because they NEVER touch the puck. Amazing.

It was a BORING game.

WTF is Gill doing on the PP????

That was a good decision. There were no high risk shots from harsh angles, they just passed the puck and did not allow shorthanded opportunities. Very smart. Gill and Gorges out there to make sure it didn't happen.

Hamrlik playing well when Markov is out, like during the st half of the season

If Spacek could come back, there might be hope.

Hammer, Subban

Spacek (on his natural side) O'Byrne

Gill, Gorges

Bergy on the 4th with Metro and SK. AK on the bench.

Guest Syn
It was a BORING game.

That was anything but a boring game, dude. Did you even watch game 1? Now THAT was a boring game. Tired players and no pace or flow makes for a shitty game.

That was a good decision. There were no high risk shots from harsh angles, they just passed the puck and did not allow shorthanded opportunities. Very smart. Gill and Gorges out there to make sure it didn't happen.

WIth a two goal lead and a major, i'd rather if the habs tried and score and get more confidence on the PP.

I also doubt if even the slowest Penguin would have been caught by Gill if a puck did get by him.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Must've missed this earlier, we cannot call up a d-man unless we drop below 6.

If Bergeron can't go Tuesday, then they can call someone up. If not, no recalls will be permitted.

Thanks for the info - i did miss your earlier post.

Here's hopin tha MAB isn't ready to go! As much as I like his shot on the PP, I'm liable to have a heartache if i have to watch him playing defence. I think we could probably bring in the #3 or #4 dman from hamilton and be better on D then with MAB.

They are falling into the same trap Washington did. Perimeter shots as the Habs collapse down low.

They are hardly being robbed left, right and center. One shot, rebound, clear.

rinse and repeat.

I confess that I couldn't watch most of the game. But I can't resist voicing my admiration for the rigorous way the Habs seem to be playing a system - albeit one that grants the opposition lots of puck possession and permiter shots, but keeps the slot clean. I've seen lots of teams win games playing that way - including the old Pat Burns teams - and it is an absolutely frustrating thing to play against, because you feel like you should be winning, and yet aren't. Opportunistic scoring is a must for that kind of game; and we're getting that.

Martin deserves a TON of credit for icing a team that is totally prepared, committed, and focused.

What bugs me is that all of this just furthers the media storyline that it's all The Jaroslav Halak Show, dancing the congo behind a bunch of nobodies. If I have to hear one more friend or media commentator talking about how Halak beat the Caps (and, for Game Two, Pittsburgh) singlehandedly, I think I'll puke. They confuse shot totals with scoring chances and overall team effectiveness. It reminds me a bit of the old argument that the 1993 Habs were a mediocre team saved by Roy. Au contraire. They were an elite team with superb netminding. I wouldn't say the current squad is elite, but they're not exactly garbage either. Cammy, Gomez, Gionta and Pleks can play on ANY team.

On the other hand...add the Halak mystique to a team game that relegates the opposition to perimeter shots, and you have a recipe for a goalie getting inside the bad guys' heads. So I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about the habs gettin' no respect. ^_^

(EDIT: I just have to add: CAMMY! Worth every last nickel. What a signing).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

On the other hand...add the Halak mystique to a team game that relegates the opposition to perimeter shots, and you have a recipe for a goalie getting inside the bad guys' heads. So I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about the habs gettin' no respect. ^_^

Exactly ... after this afternoon's game, we've certainly messed with their heads. Halak and the rest of the team did awesome work (in keeping the slot clear and clearing rebounds away, specifically), and MAF looked at best ordinary.

Edited by tomh009

That was anything but a boring game, dude. Did you even watch game 1? Now THAT was a boring game. Tired players and no pace or flow makes for a shitty game.

Didn't get the chance to watch game 1. But if you feel that this was a good game, then good for you. Not a big fan of 55 minutes of Dump and Chase.

Is it just me or do you guys agree that game 2 of Pitt. vs. Mtl was boring and dull. Both teams had no spark in fact most players seemed dazed and sloppy with the puck. It may be the type of game that Jacque Martin is forcing Pittsburg to play and if it is Jacque is a genius. :hlogo:

(EDIT: I just have to add: CAMMY! Worth every last nickel. What a signing).

Yeah! He now leads the league with 8 goals!

And what about the other Summer acquisitions? Gionta, Gomez, Moen, Gill are also all pretty solid if not spectacular!

Didn't get the chance to watch game 1. But if you feel that this was a good game, then good for you. Not a big fan of 55 minutes of Dump and Chase.

It's better than a neutral zone trap, still.

And in the end I'd rather Martin (and the team) do what it takes to win, whether it's pretty or not. And with teams like Washington and Pittsburgh that have the league's top scorers on them, that means cutting down on their scoring chances, otherwise we simply can't keep up.

Habs weren't even "chasing" this afternoon but dumping to change lines. Puck has been in our zone the entire game but we were able to bank in the few opportunities we had. If I remember the count, it was around near 25-5 scoring chances in favour of the Pens.

Wow sucks that I missed the game, since I was at a Detroit Tigers game but sounds like it was an epic game. After the baseball game, I found out the Habs result and almost lost it. I was very ecstatic. Go Habs Go!

Habs weren't even "chasing" this afternoon but dumping to change lines.

Unfortunately, you're right... But if this is how you win, then go for it.

If Spacek could come back, there might be hope.

Hammer, Subban

Spacek (on his natural side) O'Byrne

Gill, Gorges

Bergy on the 4th with Metro and SK. AK on the bench.

Spacek on his natural side for the first time this year (if I am not mistaken) will be a big plus IMO. I would pair him with Subban, but I don't mind if it's O'Byrne.

Guest Syn
Unfortunately, you're right... But if this is how you win, then go for it.

For this series, I'm totally fine with how they are going to play. You can't compare the two teams in terms of offensive talent.. can't be trading back-and-forth chances in a match-up like this.

I had a good time cheering on the PK'ers today. :lol::wacko: