GDT: Game 2, Habs vs Penguins

dlbalr

I confess that I couldn't watch most of the game. But I can't resist voicing my admiration for the rigorous way the Habs seem to be playing a system - albeit one that grants the opposition lots of puck possession and permiter shots, but keeps the slot clean. I've seen lots of teams win games playing that way - including the old Pat Burns teams - and it is an absolutely frustrating thing to play against, because you feel like you should be winning, and yet aren't. Opportunistic scoring is a must for that kind of game; and we're getting that.

Martin deserves a TON of credit for icing a team that is totally prepared, committed, and focused.

What bugs me is that all of this just furthers the media storyline that it's all The Jaroslav Halak Show, dancing the congo behind a bunch of nobodies. If I have to hear one more friend or media commentator talking about how Halak beat the Caps (and, for Game Two, Pittsburgh) singlehandedly, I think I'll puke. They confuse shot totals with scoring chances and overall team effectiveness. It reminds me a bit of the old argument that the 1993 Habs were a mediocre team saved by Roy. Au contraire. They were an elite team with superb netminding. I wouldn't say the current squad is elite, but they're not exactly garbage either. Cammy, Gomez, Gionta and Pleks can play on ANY team.

On the other hand...add the Halak mystique to a team game that relegates the opposition to perimeter shots, and you have a recipe for a goalie getting inside the bad guys' heads. So I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about the habs gettin' no respect. ^_^

(EDIT: I just have to add: CAMMY! Worth every last nickel. What a signing).

It is what it is and you can't avoid it.

Halak made some big stops tonight, but it was the same type of storyline in Washington. It seems to be happening on a regular basis,

and you can come to one of two conclusions.

1. Halak is elite and the Canadiens just can't compete with either team and he is saving them

2. It is a system by design.

I love to tell the tale of Roy in 1993, but it is exactly what that is, a tale. Now does that mean Roy was not great, no. It means that

his contribution has been overhyped to the point where history assumes the 1993 Canadiens were crap and Roy won by himself.

1. The Habs finished with 102 points, three wins out of 2nd overall in the league. 2nd OVERALL. They finished 3rd in their division,

yet 6th out of 23 teams.

2. The Final series is glorified with shots of Roy's wink, him standing up and saying no more goals and generally the acceptance that

Roy was the difference in the series. In reality, the Habs outshot the Kings 177-156 over 5 games. The only time the Kings lead the

series was Game 1 and about 12 minutes in Game 2. In Game 2 the Habs were trailing 2-1 while outshooting the Kings badly. The

final shot total for the game was 41-24 for the Habs. In Game 3 they lead 3-0, in Game 4 2-0.

3. The only team they beat during the 4 round run that finished ahead of them in the standings was the Nordiques and they only beat the

Habs by 1 pt.

This Halak run is reminiscent of the 2002 run with Theodore without as many circus saves, not 1993. An 8 seed that is overmatched doing

whatever they can to compete, not a perennial elite team having the dominoes fall their way. The rope-a-dope will only last for so long.

The Pens had some poor puck luck, they just missed outstretched sticks on 2 on 1s and for the Habs to clinch it Cammalleri had a puck

bounce off a skate right on his tape for that breakaway.

It is unprecedented for a team to be outshot on a regular basis and win a Stanley Cup. The closest thing I can remember would be

the JS Giguere Ducks of 2003, but that was the dead puck era where you could mug a guy on every play. The Ducks were regularly

outshot, but even so Giguere didn't register more than 30 shots against per 60 minutes.

The most likely result will be a cave in similar to 2002 with Carolina. With every save, Halak puts about 5-10 thousand dollars on his next

contract. This is a mirage folks.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is we're basically relying on only 1 guy (Halak) and when he's off we lose..........

That is nonsense and essentially the BS the media is reporting ad nauseum.

The most likely result will be a cave in similar to 2002 with Carolina. With every save, Halak puts about 5-10 thousand dollars on his next contract. This is a mirage folks.

I guess we have to have a few pessimists in the crowd, just for balance.

Nobody gave us a chance against Washington. Yet we're playing in the second round, they are not.

Nobody gave us a chance against Pittsburgh. Yet we now have home-game advantage, even with Markov out of the lineup.

But I guess we really have no chance. We should just mail in the rest of the games and let Pittsburgh take another run at the Cup. :rolleyes:

Edited by tomh009

I guess we have to have a few pessimists in the crowd, just for balance.

Nobody gave us a chance against Washington. Yet we're playing in the second round, they are not.

Nobody gave us a chance against Pittsburgh. Yet we now have home-game advantage, even with.

But I guess we really have no chance. We should just mail in the rest of the games and let Pittsburgh take another run at the Cup. :rolleyes:

Hey, if you want to ignore history be my guest. This will not last playing this way. No team in the history of hockey

has gone 4 rounds of hockey to win the Cup being outshot by 12 shots per game. (That doesn't even take into account blocks and misses)

I am not here to tell you what you want to hear. I offer my observations built on 30 years of watching hockey.

Love it or leave it, I don't really care. If you want the media circle jerk, go to TSN for your opinions.

Ask anybody who believes in Corsi about what is occurring right now and it makes their heads explode.

Edited by Wamsley01

Hey, if you want to ignore history be my guest. This will not last playing this way. No team in the history of hockey

has gone 4 rounds of hockey to win the Cup being outshot by 12 shots per game. (That doesn't even take into account blocks and misses)

I am not here to tell you what you want to hear. I offer my observations built on 30 years of watching hockey.

Love it or leave it, I don't really care. If you want the media circle jerk, go to TSN for your opinions.

I've been watching the Habs since '77 so I have seen a few games myself, too.

And I'm not saying that TSN is right. But I do think it's possible to beat Pittsburgh, even if we get outshot, as long as we keep the scoring chances down, and Halak plays well. If we make it to the next round, whether it be against Boston or Philadelphia, it would be a very different team we're playing, and we might be able to change the style of game for those.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm not ready to write them off yet. Winning this series will be hard, and the next one harder. But I believe we have a chance, as slim as it may be.

I just had a bizarre thought, but I feel it has some merit so here goes:

What's missing in these playoffs from what we are recently as fans familiar with? New Jersey versus Pittsburgh with Marty in net giving the Devil's hope and New Jersey could upset the Pens? Stalwart hockey defensive style? Gionta and Gomez were with them?

Halak is doing an old Brodeur. We are the Devil's now. We justr happen to be called the CANADIENS!

Interesting since the New Jersey recipe back in 1995 was to start the trap - coach Lemaire. Champs as a result. They stole a page out of our book since we invented the trap. Now it seems funny that Gionta-Gomez-Halak makes me feel like we stole a page out of their book

We're this years' Devils! I'll take that any day!

That is nonsense and essentially the BS the media is reporting ad nauseum.

Nope that's my personal opinion......sure in the playoffs you need your goalie to steal a game every once and a while but not EVERY game.

I've been watching the Habs since '77 so I have seen a few games myself, too.

And I'm not saying that TSN is right. But I do think it's possible to beat Pittsburgh, even if we get outshot, as long as we keep the scoring chances down, and Halak plays well. If we make it to the next round, whether it be against Boston or Philadelphia, it would be a very different team we're playing, and we might be able to change the style of game for those.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm not ready to write them off yet. Winning this series will be hard, and the next one harder. But I believe we have a chance, as slim as it may be.

I will write them off as long as this is the formula for success. In all 5 of their wins they have been outshot by 114 shots.

That is over 20 shots per game. It is by design, but the rope a dope only lasts for so long.

has gone 4 rounds of hockey to win the Cup being outshot by 12 shots per game.

You make a good point - sort of. But there does seem to be a tension in your view, Wamsley. On the one hand, you're pointing out that the Habs are doing an unusual job of keeping the opposition to the perimeter, and thus that the high shot totals are not really indicative of the play. On the other, you seem to be saying that this team is like 2002: garbage being saved by stellar netminding.

I agree that this crew is probably closer to 2002 than 1993, although we should keep in mind that this was a very hard team to get a full read on during the season due to injuries, chemistry, and a bizarre level of general unknowns. I also think this team is much better coached than the 2002 group (I will maintain to my dying day that Therrien was a clown) and has a substantially higher talent level overall. So while it may indeed be a mirage, it may not be as dramatically a mirage as 02 was.

How comforting is that? I dunno. :wacko:

As for Halak, he may or may not be a mirage. I'm among those who thinks that Price will need to get a game in here and there if we have any chance of going deep.

What's missing in these playoffs from what we are recently as fans familiar with? New Jersey versus Pittsburgh with Marty in net giving the Devil's hope and New Jersey could upset the Pens? Stalwart hockey defensive style? Gionta and Gomez were with them?

Halak is doing an old Brodeur. We are the Devil's now. We justr happen to be called the CANADIENS!

Interesting since the New Jersey recipe back in 1995 was to start the trap - coach Lemaire. Champs as a result. They stole a page out of our book since we invented the trap. Now it seems funny that Gionta-Gomez-Halak makes me feel like we stole a page out of their book

The Devils were never outshot like this. They limited shots on goal, created netrual zone turnovers, and won based on creating more scoring chances than their opponents as a result. We're trying to make sure we never give up an odd man rush, conceding our own zone, and then trying to block the passing and shooting lanes in the middle of the ice. We collapse, try and collect the rebounds, and then have a hard time having an effective breakout since our guys are all in deep protecting the net.

The Devils were forcing a dump and chase game by their opponents, knowing that Brodeur could help with a breakout. We're allowing the Pens and Caps to gain the blueline and set up for shots from the perimeter.

I will write them off as long as this is the formula for success. In all 5 of their wins they have been outshot by 114 shots.

That is over 20 shots per game. It is by design, but the rope a dope only lasts for so long.

Two mighty giants? President and the cup champs? Any team that can over come this mountain deserves to be champions. Only the B's or Philly would be in our way. Knocking off the Caps and the Pens (if we could) then we would be dubbed contenders. I doubt the outshooting trend after this series will continue until the final, if we make it there. Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

The Devils NEVER got outshot this badly during their Cup runs.

In the 1995 Finals the Devils outshot the Wings in every single game.

The 2000 Devils badly outshot the Stars and so did the 2003 Devils to the Ducks.

During their 3 Stanley Cup seasons, the Devils were outshot ONCE in 17 Finals games and that was by 2 shots.

This is not a dominant trap, it is playing with extreme fire.

You make a good point - sort of. But there does seem to be a tension in your view, Wamsley. On the one hand, you're pointing out that the Habs are doing an unusual job of keeping the opposition to the perimeter, and thus that the high shot totals are not really indicative of the play. On the other, you seem to be saying that this team is like 2002: garbage being saved by stellar netminding.

I agree that this crew is probably closer to 2002 than 1993, although we should keep in mind that this was a very hard team to get a full read on during the season due to injuries, chemistry, and a bizarre level of general unknowns. I also think this team is much better coached than the 2002 group (I will maintain to my dying day that Therrien was a clown) and has a substantially higher talent level overall. So while it may indeed be a mirage, it may not be as dramatically a mirage as 02 was.

How comforting is that? I dunno. :wacko:

As for Halak, he may or may not be a mirage. I'm among those who thinks that Price will need to get a game in here and there if we have any chance of going deep.

I am not saying that they are as bad as 2002, but what they are doing is out of necessity. They do not have the depth or talent

to allow any space. So they are collapsing and hoping for the best. So far, it has worked.

They are being outshot and it is a rope a dope, but it is extremely dangerous. The bounces that have just trickled by sticks and wide of

the net have been plenty over 4 of the last 5 games. As much as it worked against the Caps they won by the skin of their teeth in two of

those games. Tonight was the same thing.

It is by design, but they have capitalized on all of their chances. Playing this style with the lead is one thing, playing from behind is totally

another.

Edited by Wamsley01

haha, interesting comparison.

Bizarre playoffs this year. You're the Penguins, Stanley Cup Champions. You have a lower than expected season and finish 4th. In the first round you beat the 5th seed. Then you get the 8th (!) seed in the 2nd round and if you win and if you win that one then you face either the 6th or 7th seed. Looks like an easy run for the Cup champs of '09.

On the other hand, if Habs do surprise the Pens, then where's the limit? We would have beat the best team (by far) of the NHL this year and then last year Stanley Cup winners. Could you imagine beating the Caps and the Pens just to lose in the 3rd round against Boston or Philly? Habs do have a history of playing great against better team. Anyways, I think I'm talking way too much ahead. This series is way from over.

This is not a dominant trap, it is playing with extreme fire.

I'd call it survival instinct. I don't think the Habs mean to be outshot THIS badly. But they're being forced into the team equivelant of the fetal position just to protect themselves. They're playing to protect the lead, but in recent games they have been getting outshot even while tied (though not greatly).

They're playing less the extreme percentages and more like Colorado did against San Jose the past couple of wins. It's not a strategy anymore, I honestly think this is as good as they can be with the lineup they have against top teams like Washington or Pittsburgh.

What's happening with Plekanec though?! Just a lack of energy or what? I really like Moen as a playoff warrior, but we do need A.K. playing like he did in game 2 of the first round. If they are going to play 1 minutes anyways, I'd rather have the 2 Kost brother on the 4th line than Darche and Maxwell, who by the way were on the ice for the lone Pens goal this afternoon.

BY the way, AK46 did not cover his man(Cooke) on the Pittsburg goal! That's why he was benched the rest of the game. AK has been invisible since game 2 of the washington series!

Two mighty giants? President and the cup champs? Any team that can over come this mountain deserves to be champions. Only the B's or Philly would be in our way. Knocking off the Caps and the Pens (if we could) then we would be dubbed contenders. I doubt the outshooting trend after this series will continue until the final, if we make it there.

They haven't overcome the second mountain. Yet.

The 1991 Northstars beat the #1 Hawks, #2 Blues and the defending Stanley Cup champion Oilers on their run

and even held a 2-1 lead in the Finals before giving up 19 goals to the Pens over the final 3 games.

I'd call it survival instinct. I don't think the Habs mean to be outshot THIS badly. But they're being forced into the team equivelant of the fetal position just to protect themselves. They're playing to protect the lead, but in recent games they have been getting outshot even while tied (though not greatly).

They're playing less the extreme percentages and more like Colorado did against San Jose the past couple of wins. It's not a strategy anymore, I honestly think this is as good as they can be with the lineup they have against top teams like Washington or Pittsburgh.

I think it is in the middle of where you say. It is a plan born of necessity, they have no other way to pull off a victory.

It is survival instinct and if the Pens figure out the way to beat it, you will see the house of cards collapse. If they cannot figure it

out, then the dominoes fall their way, hey you never know.

I just don't see it happening because it has never happened in the history of the league during a 4 round playoff.

I am watching every game hoping for the best. I have dreams of it working and enjoy every step of the victory, but it does not

mean I have cut off the rationale mind as I watch this unfold. If they beat the Pens, then I will change my tune because they don't need

to rope a dope to beat the Flyers or Bruins.

Edited by Wamsley01

BY the way, AK46 did not cover his man(Cooke) on the Pittsburg goal! That's why he was benched the rest of the game. AK has been invisible since game 2 of the washington series!

To be fair, it was a clever play by the Pens. Gologoski lined up against AK46 with Cooke going wide and on the red line. On the faceoff, Gologoski peeled back and Cooke snuck in undetected behind AK46. O'Byrne also did not pick up on this switch.

It was a collective failure, but that was a designed play by Pittsburgh, designed specifically to catch the opponent off guard.

All that being said, Maxwell has proven nothing so far in the NHL and did not deserve to start this game. Both Pyatt and Lapierre can play centre, and both Darche and Sergei Kostitsyn can play wing at this level. And Metropolit getting benched for more speed is just dumb if you're only going to play that line for 3 or 4 shifts total.

Why do I get the feeling that if Price was the guy in net I would be hearing about his size, poise, and how his positioning were the reasons we were winning. How the next Roy had arrived...

Halak has been phenomenal, end of story. Of course not all 39 shots were scoring opportunities, but he faced numerous ones that he turned aside. Give the guy credit. Will it last, who knows. Does this make Halak a sure fire goalie forever.. of course not.

Halak has been great all year. Like all goalies he has bad games. He also bounces back tremendously. Right now he is a huge reason we are still watching the habs. I have been around a long time and this performance is just as good as Roy, Theo, etc. They didn't win by themselves either, but like Halak they gave their teams the chance to win it. they too were the "story". In fact, I would argue that Roy had a much better defensive team in front of him

I do agree that we can't keep playing this way and expect to win in the long run. Its not just the lack of offense, its the lack of skating that concerns me.

Let's enjoy the ride people. You never know how long it will last.

I think it is in the middle of where you say. It is a plan born of necessity, they have no other way to pull off a victory.

It is survival instinct and if the Pens figure out the way to beat it, you will see the house of cards collapse. If they cannot figure it

out, then the dominoes fall their way, hey you never know.

I just don't see it happening because it has never happened in the history of the league during a 4 round playoff.

I don't think they'll win this series, but I have more confidence that they'd beat Pittsburgh than any of the 4 teams in the West.

The Pens were getting traffic in front this game. The Habs got lucky on a couple of instances and Halak made some good saves. I think the bad ice helped a bit, they couldn't connect one timers in front as the puck kept bouncing.

You're absolutely right. What will it take to restart him?! His confidence must be low right now. It's very sad what's happening to A.K. and his brother. I think we can say we've all been behind them and hoping for the best, wishing they'd be a part of this team. It just doesn't work for them. I always hope they'll finally get going. Wasn't AK spectacular on game 2 of round 1? THis guy is so talented, big and strong. So sad.

To be fair, it was a clever play by the Pens. Gologoski lined up against AK46 with Cooke going wide and on the red line. On the faceoff, Gologoski peeled back and Cooke snuck in undetected behind AK46. O'Byrne also did not pick up on this switch.

It was a collective failure, but that was a designed play by Pittsburgh, designed specifically to catch the opponent off guard.

All that being said, Maxwell has proven nothing so far in the NHL and did not deserve to start this game. Both Pyatt and Lapierre can play centre, and both Darche and Sergei Kostitsyn can play wing at this level. And Metropolit getting benched for more speed is just dumb if you're only going to play that line for 3 or 4 shifts total.

That is another understated thing about this playoffs and why I subscribe to this imploding at some point.

How long can Gill/Gorges/Hamrlik play monster minutes and with the shortened bench, when does it affect the outcome.

Why do I get the feeling that if Price was the guy in net I would be hearing about his size, poise, and how his positioning were the reasons we were winning. How the next Roy had arrived...

Halak has been phenomenal, end of story. Of course not all 39 shots were scoring opportunities, but he faced numerous ones that he turned aside. Give the guy credit. Will it last, who knows. Does this make Halak a sure fire goalie forever.. of course not.

Halak has been great all year. Like all goalies he has bad games. He also bounces back tremendously. Right now he is a huge reason we are still watching the habs. I have been around a long time and this performance is just as good as Roy, Theo, etc. They didn't win by themselves either, but like Halak they gave their teams the chance to win it. they too were the "story". In fact, I would argue that Roy had a much better defensive team in front of him

I do agree that we can't keep playing this way and expect to win in the long run. Its not just the lack of offense, its the lack of skating that concerns me.

Let's enjoy the ride people. You never know how long it will last.

This is nowhere near Roy at his best.

Price had his chance, and he couldn't offer up the spectacular game. I fully believe that Price could have won 2-3 of these 4 games.

I have said on plenty of occasions that Halak has been better this season, this is not all Halak, but you are free to believe that.

When left exposed he has been smoked and it will likely not be the last time he gets smoked in this series.

Edited by Wamsley01

You're absolutely right. What will it take to restart him?! His confidence must be low right now. It's very sad what's happening to A.K. and his brother. I think we can say we've all been behind them and hoping for the best, wishing they'd be a part of this team. It just doesn't work for them. I always hope they'll finally get going. Wasn't AK spectacular on game 2 of round 1? THis guy is so talented, big and strong. So sad.

Seriously, I don't know what it'll take to get AK46 going again. I get the feeling that he doesn't understand english very well...which doesn't help him. I also get the feeling that he'S a little Slow(in the head).

He keeps fumbling the puck and doesn't seem to give the necessary effort!

I hope he wakes up soon, we needs his scoring talent!