GDT: Game 2, Habs vs Penguins

dlbalr

Seriously, I don't know what it'll take to get AK46 going again. I get the feeling that he doesn't understand english very well...which doesn't help him. I also get the feeling that he'S a little Slow(in the head).

He keeps fumbling the puck and doesn't seem to give the necessary effort!

I hope he wakes up soon, we needs his scoring talent!

I don't think he will ever put it together year to year. He might have a couple of big years, but his work ethic

and lack of interest is very concerning.

I think he will be somebody else's problem next season.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think (AK46) will ever put it together year to year. He might have a couple of big years, but his work ethic

We can only hope ...

Yeah! He now leads the league with 8 goals!

And what about the other Summer acquisitions? Gionta, Gomez, Moen, Gill are also all pretty solid if not spectacular!

x2

The Devils NEVER got outshot this badly during their Cup runs.

In the 1995 Finals the Devils outshot the Wings in every single game.

The 2000 Devils badly outshot the Stars and so did the 2003 Devils to the Ducks.

During their 3 Stanley Cup seasons, the Devils were outshot ONCE in 17 Finals games and that was by 2 shots.

This is not a dominant trap, it is playing with extreme fire.

It's a "general" outside the box comparison. And even though that has never happened to New Jersey. Maybe it will. :unsure: In the spirit of it. In general terms I meant. On some levels we are not but on others yes. And, we can now go home

I don't think he will ever put it together year to year. He might have a couple of big years, but his work ethic

I've basically defended the Kosty bros mercilessly the last few years, but I've had it with Andrei. I'd much prefer to keep Sergei if the option were there but I bet we trade them both.

Could you imagine beating the Caps and the Pens just to lose in the 3rd round against Boston or Philly? Habs do have a history of playing great against better team. Anyways, I think I'm talking way too much ahead. This series is way from over.
I'm just scrappin'. And there's no guarantee about anything. But when was the last time we had a backdoor chance like this? Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

It's a "general" outside the box comparison. And even though that has never happened to New Jersey. Maybe it will. :unsure: In the spirit of it. In general terms I meant. On some levels we are not but on others yes. And, we can now go home

Trust me, if I could find a team that did what the habs are doing that resulted in a Stanley Cup, then I would be

drudging up the miracle season as my rationale for being sucked in.

1971, 1986 and 1993 just don't fit this mold. 2002 does and that ended spectacularly badly.

The closest thing I can unearth is the 1982 Canucks, 1991 Stars, 2003 Ducks and 2006 Oilers and all came up too short.

The 2006 Oilers were outshot badly by the Wings and Sharks before putting it together against the Ducks and Canes.

That run is the closest thing for me to rationalize because if Roloson didn't go down in Game 1, maybe the Oilers would

have pulled it off.

That is the only scenario in which I can attach my hopes to.

Edited by Wamsley01

Trust me, if I could find a team that did what the habs are doing that resulted in a Stanley Cup, then I would be

1971, 1986 and 1993 just don't fit this mold. 2002 does and that ended spectacularly badly.

The closest thing I can unearth is the 1982 Canucks, 1991 Stars, 2003 Ducks and 2006 Oilers and all came up too short.

The 2006 Oilers were outshot badly by the Wings and Sharks before putting it together against the Ducks and Canes.

That run is the closest thing for me to rationalize because if Roloson didn't go down in Game 1, maybe the Oilers would

have pulled it off.

Yup, "History will be made" for sure. Will it be by us? Doubt it. But trends are made to be broken. And BTW: What makes you think massive shots will continue here on in?

have pulled it off.

MAB and Spacek were Oilers that season

The Devils were never outshot like this. They limited shots on goal, created netrual zone turnovers, and won based on creating more scoring chances than their opponents as a result. We're trying to make sure we never give up an odd man rush, conceding our own zone, and then trying to block the passing and shooting lanes in the middle of the ice. We collapse, try and collect the rebounds, and then have a hard time having an effective breakout since our guys are all in deep protecting the net.

The Devils were forcing a dump and chase game by their opponents, knowing that Brodeur could help with a breakout. We're allowing the Pens and Caps to gain the blueline and set up for shots from the perimeter.

Lots of good insights in this thread. This is a very accurate description of the system. And it may indeed be the only realistic way we have of beating powerhouses like the Caps and the Pens.

I think it is in the middle of where you say. It is a plan born of necessity, they have no other way to pull off a victory.

It is survival instinct and if the Pens figure out the way to beat it, you will see the house of cards collapse. If they cannot figure it

out, then the dominoes fall their way, hey you never know.

I just don't see it happening because it has never happened in the history of the league during a 4 round playoff.

I am watching every game hoping for the best. I have dreams of it working and enjoy every step of the victory, but it does not

mean I have cut off the rationale mind as I watch this unfold. If they beat the Pens, then I will change my tune because they don't need

to rope a dope to beat the Flyers or Bruins.

Well, by this rationale, this thing has a chance of succeeding. We're talking about sustaining it for three more wins. I agree that it could all collapse, but surely there's at least a real possibility of managing to gut it out by this point. Becuase you're no longer talking about doing this for four rounds; just two.

If by some miracle we do get by the Pens, one of two things can happen. We would lose that extra edge of urgency because we'd be facing less dominant opposition, and/or Halak could tire, and we - with crashing disappointment - lose against the Prunes or Bobby Clobbers, the first series that rational analysis would say we should expect to be very competitive in. The second possibility is that we ride the confidence and momentum all the way to the big dance. (Then lose to Vancouver - ouch!)

To make the Finals we MUST have a functional Markov, however.

But I don't like the fact that so many posters are even thinking about looking ahead. Bad karma.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

(...)

I guess it all depends on your expectations -- whether it's the Cup or nothing?

For me, the team's play this post-season is already a positive. Halak has been very good, and our boys have played as a team and worked hard. Beating the #1 regular-season team is more than I expected after we backed into the playoffs, and they clearly haven't given up yet.

Making it into the conference finals would be awesome. Playing for the Cup in the finals would be huge. I still remember the '70s, but those years are long gone, and at this point I'd be happy even with a solid playoff run. I'll worry about our ability to go all the way and win the Cup when the time comes -- if it comes.

Lots of good insights in this thread. This is a very accurate description of the system. And it may indeed be the only realistic way we have of beating powerhouses like the Caps and the Pens.

Well, by this rationale, this thing has a chance of succeeding. We're talking about sustaining it for three more wins. I agree that it could all collapse, but surely there's at least a real possibility of managing to gut it out.

Hey, anything is possible. Maybe Markov comes back and Subban pulls of a 1986 Claude Lemieux. That gives the habs

another dimension in which teams begin to fear their counter attack and need to pull back the full scale assaults.

If things stay as they are, then any team they face in the Finals is likely to result in a revert to this rope a dope style and

pray that the counter attack can expose Niemi, Howard and Nabokov as the average goaltenders they are.

The Canucks could pose a bigger problem if they need more than their 4-5 chances a night to counter attack because Luongo

makes some big saves.

For me, the team's play this post-season is already a positive. Halak has been very good, and our boys have played as a team and worked hard. Beating the #1 regular-season team is more than I expected after we backed into the playoffs, and they clearly haven't given up yet.

Making it into the conference finals would be awesome. Playing for the Cup in the finals would be huge. I still remember the '70s, but those years are long gone, and at this point I'd be happy even with a solid playoff run. I'll worry about our ability to go all the way and win the Cup when the time comes -- if it comes.

Yes, I think that if we somehow beat the Pens and then get eliminated by Boston :puke: or - only slightly less nauseating - Philly, you have to rate the season a success. (Actually, it already *is* a success in the sense of surpassing expectations). The challenge will be for Gauthier to build on this rather than rest on it. All other things being equal, if we can add a top-6 forward with size and maybe another defenceman (PK could be it), this team could go places.

It really doesn't matter. What does matter is we won home ice and we have to seize the advantage. Stats smats blah blah. History will be made. One thing about hockey is certain. There's no Einstein who can tell the outcome of 4 series from here on in. We have a split and WE ARE IN IT!

What else happens is anyones' guess. We don't know!

That's hockey! Go Habs Go

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

It is a Cup or nothing for me. A 3 round run will be fun while it lasts, but ultimately mean nothing to me.

I said it in an earlier thread. The round one win was fun, but means nothing to me. That doesn't mean it doesn't mean everything

to a fan who is 10 years old. I know for me when I began my Habs obsession that I was disappointed by the Stars, Oilers, Nords and Sabres

upsets. While my dad was accepting of nothing but a Cup run, I was so sucked into the Steve Penney run in 1984 that it was a victory

for them to give the Isles a scare. Two years later and my expectations where forever altered.

It really doesn't matter. What does matter is we won home ice and we have to seize the advantage. Stats smats blah blah. History will be made. One thing about hockey is certain. There's no Einstein who can tell the outcome of 4 series from here on in. We have a split and WE ARE IN IT!

Hey, everybody watches the games differently. I am ruled by the left side of my brain, that will never change.

Edited by Wamsley01

If things stay as they are, then any team they face in the Finals is likely to result in a revert to this rope a dope style and

pray that the counter attack can expose Niemi, Howard and Nabokov as the average goaltenders they are.

The Canucks could pose a bigger problem if they need more than their 4-5 chances a night to counter attack because Luongo

makes some big saves.

If we make it that far, I'm not sure anyone will care who the opposing goalie is...just the Habs' presence would be gravy. Long way to go though, glad we got one today.

Hey, anything is possible. Maybe Markov comes back and Subban pulls of a 1986 Claude Lemieux. That gives the habs

another dimension in which teams begin to fear their counter attack and need to pull back the full scale assaults.

makes some big saves.

It's true when you think about it - rope a dope could be a system that works against all these 'contending' teams with dubious goaltending. That *might* be the X-factor that allows these guys to pull it off where past teams did not. Very rarely do you go through the playoffs without confronting a high-end goaltending performance; but in a cap era we are seeing a profusion of teams (Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Philly) crossing their fingers on their goaltending. You're absolutely right that, if we do choose to look ahead, Vancouver is the team the Habs should truly fear.

But I'm getting ahead of the curve again. We won today. Let's win in Montreal and see what happens.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's true when you think about it - rope a dope could be a system that works against all these 'contending' teams with dubious goaltending. That *might* be the X-factor that allows these guys to pull it off where past teams did not. Very rarely do you go through the playoffs without confronting a high-end goaltending performance; but in a cap era we are seeing a profusion of teams (Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Philly) crossing their fingers on their goaltending. You're absolutely right that, if we do choose to look ahead, Vancouver is the team the Habs should truly fear.

Maybe you will get to see another Desjardins style classic, but from the visitors building :)

As all the investment materials say, "past performance may not necessarily be an indicator of future returns."

We have a chance, the team appears to be grasping it -- and maybe, just maybe, history will be made. For any given scenario, somebody, sometime, has to do it for the first time. ^_^

Maybe you will get to see another Desjardins style classic, but from the visitors building :)

:lol: Subban with the hat trick! :lol::lol: My heart couldn't take another one of those. Other than maybe game 7 in 1979, maybe, that's the most electrifying Habs win EVER. Period.

UNfortunately, I think you might be right!

If the Habs do trade him this summer, I think they can trade him and have a clear conscience. They have given him plenty of chances to wake up...and we've been continually disappointed!

Edited by Habsfan

:lol: Subban with the hat trick! :lol::lol: My heart couldn't take another one of those. Other than maybe game 7 in 1979, maybe, that's the most electrifying Habs win EVER. Period.

100% agree. It is on par with the "Cherry game"

As all the investment materials say, "past performance may not necessarily be an indicator of future returns."

We have a chance, the team appears to be grasping it -- and maybe, just maybe, history will be made. For any given scenario, somebody, sometime, has to do it for the first time. ^_^

Like I said, just because I don't see it happening doesn't change the fact that I pray that it will happen.

But I don't like the fact that so many posters are even thinking about looking ahead. Bad karma.

Agreed. I don't think we should even talk about that at this stage. Our boys have surprised us up til now, but let's be honest here, they haven't accomplished anything yet!

Edited by Habsfan

I'm happy we won but I don't think we played well at all. Credit to Halak for standing on his head and to the team for keeping many plays to the outside. The Pens did not look good and they still badly out shot us. Most of the game looked as if the pens were on the PP.

We need to step it up in Montreal.