Russian prospect notes

dlbalr

I just posted a link to on the main page that says Alexander Avtsyn will be coming to North America next season (likely to the Bulldogs).

Also, D prospects Konstantin Korneev and Alexei Emelin have been named to Team Russia for the upcoming World Championships. Considering the odds of either player coming over are slim, it's kinda moot, but hey, now the Habs actually have multiple prospects going to the tournament. (Andreas Engqvist is on Team Sweden.)

I just posted a link to on the main page that says Alexander Avtsyn will be coming to North America next season (likely to the Bulldogs).

Also, D prospects Konstantin Korneev and Alexei Emelin have been named to Team Russia for the upcoming World Championships. Considering the odds of either player coming over are slim, it's kinda moot, but hey, now the Habs actually have multiple prospects going to the tournament. (Andreas Engqvist is on Team Sweden.)

Goodbye Sergei Hello Alex

I hope he doesn't have the same attitude as Sergei.

Everything I've read about the kid sounds positive.

• 4 weeks later...

Alexei Emelin will not report to North America for this coming season but will think about it next year. For the record, he signed a 2 year deal last summer so he would've had to break his contract to come to North America.

http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/khl/alexe...t-year-194.html

Also, the team that bought out Dynamo (OHK) is interested in keeping Avtsyn in the fold. Though Avtsyn's proclaimed he'd like to come overseas this year, you never know.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...ews-507490.html

• 2 weeks later...

More speculation that Avtsyn will be staying in Russia (to fulfill his contract obligation) next season.

Avtsin, un choix de 4e ronde du Canadien de Montréal, en juin 2009, devait se présenter au camp de perfectionnement des espoirs du Canadien, cette semaine, mais il brillait par son absence. Pis encore, il semble qu’il restera en Russie la saison prochaine.

« Pendant tout l’été, son agent m’a dit qu’il viendrait et je suis même allé le voir en Russie, a confié Vincent. Jusqu’à la semaine dernière, j’étais pratiquement certain qu’il s’en venait, mais il n’a pas signé de contrat avec le Canadien et là, ça ne regarde pas bien. »

There's really nothing to speculate about: if he has a year left on his contract, he's staying. Such is the current state of KHL-NHL relations. They recently signed a letter of understanding to again respect each other's contracts, and the leagues are planning exhibition games between teams from their leagues prior to the start of the NHL season. Heck, the KHL doesn't even allow their teams to draft players under NHL contract for future negotiations.

Can we trade "le bon" Serge for Avtsyn?

I would even be willing to add in AK for the right to draft a player in the next draft and not get rooster blocked by the KHL.

No deal in place... no worries let make one happen for SK vs. AA

IMO the Habs might just have to jump over the Batteman for the health of our dear team.

but then again I'm in Canada and I think the NHL has failed the fans out here so if the Habs don't do it but it is another Canadian team then so be it...

• 2 weeks later...
Alexei Emelin will not report to North America for this coming season but will think about it next year. For the record, he signed a 2 year deal last summer so he would've had to break his contract to come to North America.

http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/khl/alexe...t-year-194.html

Did anyone notice the RIDICULOUS playoffs that Emelin just had? In the 20 odd games i think he doubled his entire pro career point total and was named best defenseman of the playoffs.

Wonder if it was just flash in the pan things or his coming out party.

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone notice the RIDICULOUS playoffs that Emelin just had? In the 20 odd games i think he doubled his entire pro career point total and was named best defenseman of the playoffs.

Wonder if it was just flash in the pan things or his coming out party.

You can rest assured that any Russian player, that have any value at all, will not be coming over here unless the Russian hierarchy get their pound of flesh. Do you remember Emelin was supposedly on his way over here, when he got the crap beat out of him and he subsequently changed his mind. A hockey fight where Emelin was out manned big time and they let the fight go.

You can rest assured that any Russian player, that have any value at all, will not be coming over here unless the Russian hierarchy get their pound of flesh. Do you remember Emelin was supposedly on his way over here, when he got the crap beat out of him and he subsequently changed his mind. A hockey fight where Emelin was out manned big time and they let the fight go.

I do recall seeing photos of him after that fight - he definitely took a beating. But i never thought that it would have been related to contract talk of jumping over to NA. Scary...

Let's hope someone doesn't break Avtsin's ankles before he comes here for good!

Edited by mineral

I do recall seeing photos of him after that fight - he definitely took a beating. But i never thought that it would have been related to contract talk of jumping over to NA. Scary...

Let's hope someone doesn't break Avtsin's ankles before he comes here for good!

It really didn't have anything to do with contract talk. It was because he's Emelin, a notorious pest/cheapshot artist in the KHL. And he got on the wrong side of Alexander Svitov.

• 4 weeks later...

Another year of this guy not jumping ship is a drag. I would love to have him instead of Spacek,

When does Emelin become eligable for re-entry draft? How much longer before we lose him?

I just youtubed Emelin KHL Playoffs, the compilation is ill.

Another year of this guy not jumping ship is a drag. I would love to have him instead of Spacek,

When does Emelin become eligable for re-entry draft? How much longer before we lose him?

He's much too old to re-enter the draft. He's under contract for one more season in Russia, so we won't see him until then. As for rights, as far as I know, they're held until there's a transfer agreement reached, or he becomes UFA age (27).

It really didn't have anything to do with contract talk. It was because he's Emelin, a notorious pest/cheapshot artist in the KHL. And he got on the wrong side of Alexander Svitov.

Makes more sense than that russian mob conspiracy!

Spacek and Emelin aren't even close to the same kind of player... I guess I'd rather have Emelin than O'Byrne, but that really isn't impressive.

What do you guys think Emelin is?

Makes more sense than that russian mob conspiracy!

I am the one that proposed that the Emelin fight was more than just a hockey fight which you aptly coined the "Russian Mob Conspiracy". It serves me no purpose to try to sway you. I would say this. The Khl has been bankrolled since its insception by big money. Oil/Mafia/Goverment? I don"t think there is any doubt about that.

I am the one that proposed that the Emelin fight was more than just a hockey fight which you aptly coined the "Russian Mob Conspiracy". It serves me no purpose to try to sway you. I would say this. The Khl has been bankrolled since its insception by big money. Oil/Mafia/Goverment? I don"t think there is any doubt about that.

Oil yes, government yes (provincial/local), but mafia is fabricated/speculative.

Alex Svitov is not a Russian hitman, for the KHL, for the Russian government, or the Russian mafia. That is an absolutely ridiculous claim to make. Emelin is a noted agitator in the KHL, and Svitov stood up to him and kicked his butt. This was the KHL equivelant of Evander Kane KOing Matt Cooke.

Oil yes, government yes (provincial/local), but mafia is fabricated/speculative.

Alex Svitov is not a Russian hitman, for the KHL, for the Russian government, or the Russian mafia. That is an absolutely ridiculous claim to make. Emelin is a noted agitator in the KHL, and Svitov stood up to him and kicked his butt. This was the KHL equivelant of Evander Kane KOing Matt Cooke.

Speculative YES. But I think we are getting somewhere when you admit that big money has been and continues to be injected into the KHL. You know that big money demands a business model. What do you think the original model looked like? How were they to make their money in the KHL/

Speculative YES. But I think we are getting somewhere when you admit that big money has been and continues to be injected into the KHL. You know that big money demands a business model. What do you think the original model looked like? How were they to make their money in the KHL/

Pro sports leagues are ego boosts for the owners, generally supported by other ventures. The freaking Blackhawks couldn't turn a profit last year, with Rocky Wirtz floating money from his family's vast liqour reserves to make payroll. The business of pro sports is often to impress clients for your money maker companies: give them seats in a private box, and try and make multi-million dollar exchanges. It keeps your name in good standing with the locals, who like the entertainment that having a team provides.

The KHL wants to be the elite European professional circuit, and they want to put teams throughout Europe. They are bound to encounter a few frauds as owners, likely crooks too (like the NHL still does), but they've been pretty ruthless in letting teams fold to achieve their goal.

It's also a bit of a myth about how much money they spend on these teams. It's really only a couple of teams all the time bidding on these players, and the one that can spend way more than most is Andrei Medvedev's SKA St. Petersburg. There is great financial disparity in the league, despite the existence of a salary cap. Evidently, Medvedev, as both the SKA owner and KHL President (and IIHF Vice-President), can easily get around the cap.

So what's going to happen to Zherdev, Filatov, Babchuk, Hudler, Radulov (next year, he's already committed to returning to the NHL), Avstyn, and all the other young Russians that are leaving the KHL en masse's families now? If it's the mafia they've crossed, boy they're screwed. Maybe they'll send Alex Svitov after all of them, too!

Spacek and Emelin aren't even close to the same kind of player... I guess I'd rather have Emelin than O'Byrne, but that really isn't impressive.

What do you guys think Emelin is?

I think he is a dirty cheap shot pest of a d-man, sort of a Kasperitis style player except he has also shown the abilty to put points on the board. We don't have anyone in our defensive core that is that style of player outside of Henry who won't make the NHL by all counts.

I think he is a dirty cheap shot pest of a d-man, sort of a Kasperitis style player except he has also shown the abilty to put points on the board. We don't have anyone in our defensive core that is that style of player outside of Henry who won't make the NHL by all counts.

Well, he is that. I just hope people don't think he can replace a guy like Spacek's puckmoving skills, or even his defensive smothering abilities.

Pro sports leagues are ego boosts for the owners, generally supported by other ventures. The freaking Blackhawks couldn't turn a profit last year, with Rocky Wirtz floating money from his family's vast liqour reserves to make payroll. The business of pro sports is often to impress clients for your money maker companies: give them seats in a private box, and try and make multi-million dollar exchanges. It keeps your name in good standing with the locals, who like the entertainment that having a team provides.

The KHL wants to be the elite European professional circuit, and they want to put teams throughout Europe. They are bound to encounter a few frauds as owners, likely crooks too (like the NHL still does), but they've been pretty ruthless in letting teams fold to achieve their goal.

It's also a bit of a myth about how much money they spend on these teams. It's really only a couple of teams all the time bidding on these players, and the one that can spend way more than most is Andrei Medvedev's SKA St. Petersburg. There is great financial disparity in the league, despite the existence of a salary cap. Evidently, Medvedev, as both the SKA owner and KHL President (and IIHF Vice-President), can easily get around the cap.

So what's going to happen to Zherdev, Filatov, Babchuk, Hudler, Radulov (next year, he's already committed to returning to the NHL), Avstyn, and all the other young Russians that are leaving the KHL en masse's families now? If it's the mafia they've crossed, boy they're screwed. Maybe they'll send Alex Svitov after all of them, too!

I think mafia is your word. I believe I used it with a question mark. I am sure I don't agree with you why the KHL is in business. I would agree that you will be seeing more Russians coming this way. The business model is braking down. The key issue here in the business model is controlling prospects and transfer fees. Wasn't the whole world watching when the Red Sox bid 40 odd million to talk to somebody. I am sure everyone is watching what some of these sports franchises are going for.