Russian prospect notes

dlbalr

A nice little blurb about Avtsin in an interview from a writer at RussianProspects.com:

Question - What order would you rank the following prospects in and why? Alexander Avtsin (MTL), Evgeny Grachev (NYR) and Kirill Petrov (NYI).

Given that they are all three very good prospects, my ranking would be Avtsin first, followed by Petrov, with Grachev last. Avtsin is a GM’s dream: a sized player with “Russian” skills and a desire to play in the NHL. What more would you want from a prospect? He had a good season in the KHL, even if he didn’t receive enough much ice-time and an injury ended his season early. But in my opinion he has that something more you need to become a very good NHL player. Avtsin is probably my favorite prospect right now and I am really eager to see him in action in North America. I definitely hope that the Habs will give him a true chance to showcase his skills in the NHL, given that he needs some AHL seasoning. I think that the Habs are a good team to develop with and Avtsin is in a better situation than other prospects.

http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=614

A nice little blurb about Avtsin in an interview from a writer at RussianProspects.com:

Question - What order would you rank the following prospects in and why? Alexander Avtsin (MTL), Evgeny Grachev (NYR) and Kirill Petrov (NYI).

http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=614

I was happy to read it, but it's more like who among those 3 are the best prospects...but it doesnt mean Avtsin is top among russian prospects from what i read in the article.(english not my 1st language)

I was happy to read it, but it's more like who among those 3 are the best prospects...but it doesnt mean Avtsin is top among russian prospects from what i read in the article.(english not my 1st language)

By no means was I trying to imply the writer was saying he's among the top prospects. The commentary within the explanation was the part I felt was worth reading - good KHL season, has the intangibles, feels Montreal is a good place for him to develop, etc.

• 5 months later...

Quick note here, Konstantin Korneev (or Korneyev), a 9th round pick of the Habs back in 2002, was named to Team Jagr for the upcoming KHL All Star Game. Despite the fact he was picked so long ago, the Habs still hold his rights due to the transfer agreement debacle between the NHL and Russia. He'll join Karri Ramo as Habs' property playing in that game.

• 2 weeks later...

Not Russian, but playing in Russia: Brock Trotter has had an interesting year. He did quite well in Jan/early Feb, having 5 goals and 7 assists in 13 games, but that was following going pointless through his previous 12 games. He missed a few games in November, might have been hurt.

KHL regular season wraps up this week. Dinamo Riga are currently in 7th in their conference, haven't clinched a playoff spot yet but one win will do it.

The KHL isn't for everyone, it's definitely not a logical step up from the AHL, and it takes some adjusting, and he seems to have gotten over some tough times. Be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs.

That said, Yemelin has more goals than he does (11 to 9), and he's a d-man not known for offence. Trunev only has one goal in 36 games.

Ramo finally got some action as Finland's goalie this past international break in Sweden. Let in 4 goals on 21 shots vs. Russia, lost to Swedes in a shootout after stopping 19 of 21 shots. Finland finished third (Ramo didn't play in the team's win over the Czechs, though he shutout the Czechs back in November).

We'll see if Ramo will get consideration for Finland's World Championship team. KHL playoffs could be the deciding factor.

Edited by saskhab

Quick note here, Konstantin Korneev (or Korneyev), a 9th round pick of the Habs back in 2002, was named to Team Jagr for the upcoming KHL All Star Game. Despite the fact he was picked so long ago, the Habs still hold his rights due to the transfer agreement debacle between the NHL and Russia. He'll join Karri Ramo as Habs' property playing in that game.

BTW, it was never mentioned here, but Korneyev and Yemelin now play on the same team, two time Gagarin Cup Champs Ak Bars Kazan. Korneyev was traded there from CSKA Moscow in late December.

• 3 weeks later...

Trotter helps lead Riga to a first round upset of Dynamo Moscow, getting three goals and three assists in the six game series. However, he was also -6, but he's playing over 4 1/2 minutes more per game on average than the regular season... though that might be due to three games going to OT. :)

Karri Ramo and his Continental Cup winning Avangard Omsk are on the ropes in the first round, down 3-2 to Neftekhimik, who finished 33 points behind Omsk in the standings (keep in mind 3 points for a regulation win in the KHL, so roughly equivelant to a 22 point differential).

Yemelin and Korneev's Ak Bars Kazan are through the first round with a sweep of Kazazkh club Barys Astana.

Karri Ramo and his Continental Cup winning Avangard Omsk are on the ropes in the first round, down 3-2 to Neftekhimik, who finished 33 points behind Omsk in the standings (keep in mind 3 points for a regulation win in the KHL, so roughly equivelant to a 22 point differential).

They stayed alive, winning 3-2 today. Alexander Perezhogin, still Habs' property (for 4 more months) set up the winner with less than 4 minutes to go. Game 7 is Sunday. http://en.khl.ru/report/186/?idgame=30440

They stayed alive, winning 3-2 today. Alexander Perezhogin, still Habs' property (for 4 more months) set up the winner with less than 4 minutes to go. Game 7 is Sunday. http://en.khl.ru/report/186/?idgame=30440

Perezhogin scored twice in the 7th game, a 7-3 win for Omsk. They play Metallurg Magnitogorsk next round in what should be a very good series. Kazan vs. Salavat Ufa (Radulov's team) should be excellent as well. Those two series start on Wed. Riga gets Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, who like Omsk won their 7th game against the #8 seed in a blowout (6-1).

• 2 weeks later...

Ramo made 57 saves on 59 shots yesterday in a triple overtime win to even up Omsk's series with Magnitogorsk. Apparently it was an amazing game by all accounts.

Don't like to pimp my site around here, but I have some hilites up on it:

http://www.puckworlds.com/2011/3/16/2053492/tuesday-recap-aik-completes-sweep-avangard-wins-in-triple-ot

Yemelin and Korneev are still alive for another day as well, Kazan won to avoid a sweep at the hands of Radulov's Ufa team.

Ramo's boys couldn't score for him in the final two games and they're out. No Habs players left playing in Russia right now, aside from Perezhogin who isn't our property for much longer (July 1 he's officially UFA in the NHL).

Yemelin and Ramo both have no KHL contract for next year and could be signed by the Habs. Both could be at the World Championships as well, though more likely for Yemelin than Ramo as Finland has a lot of goalies they can choose from and didn't use Ramo much during the Euro Hockey Tour.

Ramo's boys couldn't score for him in the final two games and they're out. No Habs players left playing in Russia right now, aside from Perezhogin who isn't our property for much longer (July 1 he's officially UFA in the NHL).

Yemelin and Ramo both have no KHL contract for next year and could be signed by the Habs. Both could be at the World Championships as well, though more likely for Yemelin than Ramo as Finland has a lot of goalies they can choose from and didn't use Ramo much during the Euro Hockey Tour.

Generally, it helps when you have a coach for that 7th and pivotal game of a series. Apparently, Omsk may have fired their coach before the game? Sheesh. That's the type of stupid circumstance that could help sway Ramo to come back to North America next season.

Also for the Worlds, I suspect Korneev will be there as well. He remains Hab property indefinitely though I highly doubt he'll ever come over.

Habs to talk with Emelin in the near future. It's now or never to get him signed realistically. http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?11910

I would love to see him sign, but I am not optimistic. He will want too much money. I guess if he sucks, they can bury him in the minors, and let him go back to russia. I still hope he signs. The only issue I have is that I don't think he is a JM player. He is pretty dirty.

I would love to see him sign, but I am not optimistic. He will want too much money. I guess if he sucks, they can bury him in the minors, and let him go back to russia. I still hope he signs. The only issue I have is that I don't think he is a JM player. He is pretty dirty.

I believe he's still part of the entry level system (it'd be a 1-year deal) so he can't command too much. I've read before that a sticking point was similar to what you noted, if he doesn't make it, he wants to go back to Russia and not Hamilton. It's always risky putting that into a contract if you're trying to avoid setting a precedent.

Generally, it helps when you have a coach for that 7th and pivotal game of a series. Apparently, Omsk may have fired their coach before the game? Sheesh. That's the type of stupid circumstance that could help sway Ramo to come back to North America next season.

Also for the Worlds, I suspect Korneev will be there as well. He remains Hab property indefinitely though I highly doubt he'll ever come over.

Actually the article you linked to indicates they fired their coach before the second period of game 7. :o

Habs to talk with Emelin in the near future. It's now or never to get him signed realistically. http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?11910

BTW, it definitely is 'Yemelin'. There has been a recent push to change the way Russian names are spelt in English, meaning there will be no more 'Fedorov' but Fedyorov, Semyons instead of Semen, etc. To many mispronounciations in the past have frustrated Russian players (and who can blame Varlamov for that one!) and so we'll be seeing a lot more Y's in names in the future.

BTW, it definitely is 'Yemelin'. There has been a recent push to change the way Russian names are spelt in English, meaning there will be no more 'Fedorov' but Fedyorov, Semyons instead of Semen, etc. To many mispronounciations in the past have frustrated Russian players (and who can blame Varlamov for that one!) and so we'll be seeing a lot more Y's in names in the future.

Korneev is another example, it's always Korneyev when he represents Russia.

• 4 weeks later...