Montreal Development Camp

dlbalr

From June 1st to 5th (so I was off by a day) at Bell Sports Complex in Brossard.

The roster:

Forwards:

- Hunter Bishop

- Michael Cichy

- Gabriel Dumont

- Olivier Fortier (noted as injured, news to me)

- Tanner House (invite - 24 years old, played at Maine University last year)

- Patrick Johnson

- Danny Kristo

- Louis Leblanc

- Phillipe Lefebvre

- Dany Masse (noted as injured, also news to me)

- Joonas Nattinen

- Steve Quailer (noted as injured, I knew about this one at least)

(Notable omissions: Alexander Avtsyn, Dustin Walsh)

Defence:

- Mac Bennett

- Marc-Antoine Desnoyers (invite - 21 years old, played for Drummondville last year)

- Myles Harvey (invite - 21 years old, played for Providence last year)

- Scott Kishel

- Brendon Nash

- Joe Stejskal

(Notable omissions: David Fischer, Greg Pateryn, and Nichlas Torp)

Goalies:

- Thomas Bäumle (invite, 27 years old, played for Ambri-Piotta (Switzerland) last year)

- Jean-Christophe Blanchard (invite, 22 years old, played for UQTR (CIS) last year)

- Riley Gill (invite, 25 years old, played for Michigan and Kalamazoo (ECHL) last year)

- Petteri Simila

(Notable omission: Jason Missiaen)

The omissions of Fischer and Missiaen suggest the team may not be signing those players - Missiaen must be signed by June 1st, Fischer by August 15. Must say I'm disappointed with Fischer not being at camp.

Having two developmental camps is unique on its own. I was the first to question Florida last year when they had a similar early camp bypassing prospects in the June draft. I just think that maybe that there are too many bodies to process all in one sitting. I think it is smart to get the young prospects already in the system in some kind of training regiment and direction ASAP. Hockey is getting to be a 12 month sport. I am not concerned that player X is not at this camp. I too want to see Fischer signed. He still could have academic commitments. I don't know. I see him at the very worst being a Dandenealt/ Wyman type that can give you flexibility.

I too want to see Fischer signed. He still could have academic commitments. I don't know. I see him at the very worst being a Dandenealt/ Wyman type that can give you flexibility.

I hope you're right but the fact that Nash, another NCAA product is at this camp concerns me a little bit. At the very least, I think he could help Hamilton next year which to me makes him worth signing - he'd only get a 2-year deal.

• 1 month later...

Camp #2 begins on July 6, only a few invites to this one: F François Brisebois, F Jonathan Brunelle, and G Joseph Quattrocchi who if I remember correctly, was at least year's camp.

Full roster

Camp #2 begins on July 6, only a few invites to this one: F François Brisebois, F Jonathan Brunelle, and G Joseph Quattrocchi who if I remember correctly, was at least year's camp.

Full roster

A couple of swedes there as well... Andreas Engqvist and John Westin. Love to get an update on how they are doing later on :)

Avstin is on the list !! Is there a chance he plays in North America this year?

Nope, he's under contract in Russia as has been discussed in the Russian prospect notes thread. He's eligible to come over next season.

Edit: On second thought, he should be fine now as per an e-mail I received this morning as his contract has been "broken."

Nope, he's under contract in Russia as has been discussed in the Russian prospect notes thread. He's eligible to come over next season.

Edit: On second thought, he should be fine now as per an e-mail I received this morning as his contract has been "broken."

Are you saying he has chance to play in NA this year? That would be the best news I've heard all year. Also Habsinsideout reporting a roster of 23 for development camp in july. DO we have a surprise invitee?

RDS says he's broken his contract to try and get a spot on the Canadiens' roster. But asking him to play a season for the Montreal Junior wouldn't be the worst thing.

Full roster

Quattrocchi is the goalie here in Fort Mac. I don't know if he will ever advance far.

I wonder why he would think that he could make the NHL? It is my belief that if he is not ready for the NHL he must play junior, because I believe he was drafted in junior foreign draft. I know that there have been exceptions where they have let europeans play in the AHL, but I think that is really rare. I can see a big dissapointment here if he has to take junior pay as opposed to what he was making. You would wonder who is guiding him over there.

I wonder why he would think that he could make the NHL? It is my belief that if he is not ready for the NHL he must play junior, because I believe he was drafted in junior foreign draft. I know that there have been exceptions where they have let europeans play in the AHL, but I think that is really rare. I can see a big dissapointment here if he has to take junior pay as opposed to what he was making. You would wonder who is guiding him over there.

He's eligible to play in Hamilton, the CHL'ers are the ones subjected to the 20 year old minimum age requirement. Since he's yet to play in the CHL, he's fine.

He's eligible to play in Hamilton, the CHL'ers are the ones subjected to the 20 year old minimum age requirement. Since he's yet to play in the CHL, he's fine.

Dlbair sure hope your right. That would be great. I don't suppose you have any idea who the 23rd invitee to the development camp is?

Players can buy themselves out of their KHL contract, so if Avstyn did that than wow, that's impressive. And it means he's confident he'll eventually get that money back.

So I assume Avstyn doesn't want to play junior hockey if he's just paid a fine to break his contract. :lol: Hamilton bound, I'd have to think.

I wonder who has a chance to make their debut with CH this year? Who are AHL and who are CH candidates?

Highest chances?

Pacioretty, if he was good enough last year, i bet he can forge a place against in the club. He actually didnt do too bad at end of season in AHL with the club. Boucher stated that the regained his confidence.

Trotter,

35 goals...havent seen a CH prospect score that many goals in the AHL in a while...

Desharnais?

two very decent seasons in a row...but is there room for him?

Maxwell

This guy didnt look ready at all in any NHL game i saw him playing.

Eller,

Rumors that he has a decent chance of making it, he might not start but eventually joins the club during the year?

Avstin

Most Likely an AHL candidate.

Kristo

Most likely going to United States again or AHL at the best.

where are things at with David Fischer? still Habs property?

Fischer now = a brand new 2nd round pick !

Yep, 50th overall in 2011. It took a long time to finally sort it all out but in the end, the report I had last month turned out to be accurate...just not for the reason I thought.

Siiiiiiiiiiiign Avstin already!

Avstyn or Avstin? It seems to be interchangeable from article to article. Habit might know?

TSN had given me the impression the leafs were the only team in the league that held developmental camps. It's nice to see other teams are catching on to the leafs ingenious ideas. ;)

Yep, 50th overall in 2011. It took a long time to finally sort it all out but in the end, the report I had last month turned out to be accurate...just not for the reason I thought.

You should start a hockeysite named www.hockeyfuzz.com and call yourself Naslund :D

Ah well, for all of the talk against RDS on these boards, they are still one of the few covering/ providing news about the Development Camp currently being held in Montreal.

While reading an article last night on a Rue Frontenac i got an uneasy feeling when reading that Avtsin's been despondent and just idle by himself probably because he has no Russian team mates nor a translator that can help with the French/English barrier he obviously suffers.

Now we've got reports that he's flat out left the camp.

I had high hopes for this kid and the interest he had in jumping ship to NA. Can we presume that will change considerably over the summer?

Is the onus on the player or the organization to provide assistance in these situations?