Halak traded to the St. Louis Blues

Easy Ryder

I'm with you here. Gauthier isn't an idiot. This is the best he could get and he apparently had many inquiries/offers. Eller had a pretty good first profesional season in North America and finished 1st scorer of his team. (more points than Plekanec in his first season ;) )

Apparently Eller was a beast in the AHL last year at even strength. He's drawing comparisons as the next Mikko Koivu.

We just got two big young forwards for the next five years or so for a goalie who could have been gone within two.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ethnicity doesn't matter. Denmark has an amazing hockey program...world class. the list of danish superstars is unsurpassed. If he was an NHL proven Japanese guy, i wouldn't care, but he is a prospect. I would put more faith in a prospect that came from a country with a developement program. Plus I was mad. I'm thinking Backes or Oshie or Perron, and we get a bag of bucks and a water bottle. Like I said, Price has more bargaining power now. They should have locked him up first, then tradedd Halak.

Right, but saying we traded Halak for "some danish idiot" makes it kind of sound like ethnicity does matter. Anyway, it's disappointing that we didn't get Backes, Oshie, Perron or Boyes but Eller is a really nice addition for us. This probably means we'll be keeping Plekanec and letting Moore go (Plekanec-Gomez-Eller-Lapierre down the middle, not bad) and that we may even have the cash to keep Hamrlik if we feel its necessary?

I'm with you here. Gauthier isn't an idiot. This is the best he could get and he apparently had many inquiries/offers. Eller had a pretty good first profesional season in North America and finished 1st scorer of his team. (more points than Plekanec in his first season ;) )

I don't think Gauthier is an idiot, but I am disappointed. I was also expecting somebody like Perron, Backes or Oshie, but we got prospects!

Let's hope that this Eller kid is good, cause if he isn't and Carey Price struggles early next year, the Fans will let him have it pretty hard! It won't be Carey's fault, but seeing as Halak was really popular and had surpassed Carey in popularity with the fans, Carey will most likely get the brunt of the fans displeasure (especially if he struggles early on)!

At this point, the team needs top line forwards that can break through a stingy defense. It was the Habs biggest downfall all season. It was plain to see when you watched it. The only effective forwards we had at getting through were Gomez and AK when he wasn't too bored. I personally don't care if Plek gets locked up by the Habs. I was very happy with his season, but if signing him means not getting bigger on the top two lines, I don't want him.

Right, but saying we traded Halak for "some danish idiot" makes it kind of sound like ethnicity does matter. Anyway, it's disappointing that we didn't get Backes, Oshie, Perron or Boyes but Eller is a really nice addition for us. This probably means we'll be keeping Plekanec and letting Moore go (Plekanec-Gomez-Eller-Lapierre down the middle, not bad) and that we may even have the cash to keep Hamrlik if we feel its necessary?

Ya, that was my temper kicking in. I wanted a roster player.

I don't think Gauthier is an idiot, but I am disappointed. I was also expecting somebody like Perron, Backes or Oshie, but we got prospects!

Let's hope that this Eller kid is good, cause if he isn't and Carey Price struggles early next year, the Fans will let him have it pretty hard! It won't be Carey's fault, but seeing as Halak was really popular and had surpassed Carey in popularity with the fans, Carey will most likely get the brunt of the fans displeasure (especially if he struggles early on)!

Signing a competent veteran backup is key. Even someone like Biron would take some heat off of Price.

Last time i wished for Eller was then in 2007

12 Mtl. Canadiens Ryan McDonagh D Cretin Derham Hall H.S. (Minn.)

13 St. Louis Lars Eller F Frolunda Jrs (Sweden) 7 2 0 2 4

He was considered the best Euro propect.

I thought he was still in Europe.

My initial reaction was disappointment, but now that I've settled down, I'm gonna wait and see where the chips falls before I get too carried away. All things considered, this is a good return on an RFA at this point in the year. I'm sure we would have all preferred an established roster player, but obviously that couldn't be had at this point.

So now, I wonder....

Who will backup Price?

Is Pleks as good as gone with Eller in the system?

Is this just the first of many shakeups?

Farewell Halak. Thanks for a great season!

My initial reaction was disappointment, but now that I've settled down, I'm gonna wait and see where the chips falls before I get too carried away. All things considered, this is a good return on an RFA at this point in the year. I'm sure we would have all preferred an established roster player, but obviously that couldn't be had at this point.

So now, I wonder....

Who will backup Price?

Is Pleks as good as gone with Eller in the system?

Is this just the first of many shakeups?

Farewell Halak. Thanks for a great season!

I dont think pleks well be back and i think this was done a week before the draft so we could sign or make a deal..I hope we dont over pay for a backup ..

At this point, the team needs top line forwards that can break through a stingy defense. It was the Habs biggest downfall all season. It was plain to see when you watched it. The only effective forwards we had at getting through were Gomez and AK when he wasn't too bored. I personally don't care if Plek gets locked up by the Habs. I was very happy with his season, but if signing him means not getting bigger on the top two lines, I don't want him.

Ya, that was my temper kicking in. I wanted a roster player.

But you need to keep the cap in mind. You can't just let Plekanec go and then hope to sign a big 1st line forward for 5 million dollars... when there is no such player on the free agent market. It is either re-sign Plekanec (probably overpaying by a bit) or downgrade Plekanec.

Eller may be an upgrade in the future - for now he's just depth at C. He should serve for now as a 3rd line C. In the future, he'll climb up our depth chart.

From Hockey's Future:

Eller has decent size, is a good skater with very good technical skills. He also works hard and is in general very well-rounded as a player. His scoring touch is pretty good, but Eller is much more noticeable as a playmaker. He has really good hockey sense and has that special ability to find openings that few other players can. A team player, he plays a good two-way game, but could still use some fine-tuning in his defensive game and play without the puck.

Schultz gets noticed for his physical play more than for his offensive skill. Schultz could eventually become a power forward, but he may also develop into a solid grinding winger.

But you need to keep the cap in mind. You can't just let Plekanec go and then hope to sign a big 1st line forward for 5 million dollars... when there is no such player on the free agent market. It is either re-sign Plekanec (probably overpaying by a bit) or downgrade Plekanec.

Eller may be an upgrade in the future - for now he's just depth at C. He should serve for now as a 3rd line C. In the future, he'll climb up our depth chart.

Eller can play C/w so maybe if we can get sharp C/w then we can find out who fits the role better for our #2 line and move the other one to the wing..If we cant sign plexs i hope we more his rights for a pick...

well if plexs looking for 5-6mil ayear on a 5 year deal it might just be....but if his not going to sign i hope we can trade his rights for anything but i think we got more moves coming soon...

well if plexs looking for 5-6mil ayear on a 5 year deal it might just be....but if his not going to sign i hope we can trade his rights for anything but i think we got more moves coming soon...

I think you're right.

Plus PG has a different philosophy then BG. I read an article that PG seems to like bigger, more physical teams.

I agree more moves coming. I'll guess something with Pleks and the Kodty bros.

Some danish idiot and goon from calgary. way to go gauthier

I see you know these two young men personally or is it your lack of common sense that shows up with that stupid comment?

Lol... What the hell kind of logic is that?

Logic is that we are rolling the dice on guys that may or may not be in our lineup. It's a gamble, the habs have made far too many gambles. You don't give a 24 year old who has proven his worth for guys who may or may not make it. You do t trade a starting goalie for someone who MAY become a scorer and a projected 3rd liner. If a deal was going tone made we should have been going after proven commodities like Carter or Girioux.

1. Don't judge the deal until you see what the cap space dominoes turn up.

2. Like the stock market, you don't deal stocks at their bottom, you deal them at their top

This is about cap numbers and UFA years. Price will not be a UFA for another 4 seasons, Halak will be in 2.

The question for Gainey and Gauthier was are we a better team with Price, Plekanec and Eller or

Halak and whatever Price returned (likely an Eller level return).

Remove the emotion and it is not that shocking. I would have preferred they bought out Hammer and

re-signed Pleks and both goalies, but it looks like they are keeping Hammer.

I see you know these two young men personally or is it your lack of common sense that shows up with that stupid comment?

Ummmmm..... The lack of common sense thing you said. Lets trade our 2nd best player all year and in the playoffs for a prospect who was developed in the hocky mecca of Denmark. Anyway, I don't care about ethnicity. I said that cuz I was p!ssed. If he was a proven NHLer, I wouldn't care where he was from, but if oyu are going for prospects, the place where they were developed often matters. Anyway, I'm sorry for saying that. I already explained that, so get over it...kid.

Edited by BCHabnut

Logic is that we are rolling the dice on guys that may or may not be in our lineup. It's a gamble, the habs have made far too many gambles. You don't give a 24 year old who has proven his worth for guys who may or may not make it. You do t trade a starting goalie for someone who MAY become a scorer and a projected 3rd liner. If a deal was going tone made we should have been going after proven commodities like Carter or Girioux.

Rumour was that the Habs asked for Giroux (for Price) but that the Flyers weren't willing to trade him. Carter was a maybe, but if we trade Halak for Carter, we lose Plekanec. What's better: Carter or Plekanec, Eller and Shultz? It certainly wouldn't be a no-brainer to take Carter.

Rumour was that the Habs asked for Giroux (for Price) but that the Flyers weren't willing to trade him. Carter was a maybe, but if we trade Halak for Carter, we lose Plekanec. What's better: Carter or Plekanec, Eller and Shultz? It certainly wouldn't be a no-brainer to take Carter.

If we moved hammer we could have Carter and pleks. The only positive with this deal is that we don't have to face Halak 6 times a year or in the playoffs. But I still hate it. I would rather have let both goalies battle it out o

until next January or next years trade deadline.

Regardless of how the chips fall, I'm glad, at least, that Halak went out West. I would have cried had he gone to Philly.