Official Draft Day Thread

BCHabnut

So, who do we want? Will a few Russians slide so far down the draft that we snag a gem and take a risk of him going KHL way? Do you go for John Mcfarland who was ranked high and slid this year? I hope we get a few big forwards with speed. But actually, we need to start drafting defensemen too. We only took one defenseman last year. I'm still a fan of going with best player available, and if a need is filled great. If not you develope them and trade later.

Edited by sakiqc
Title

So, who do we want? Will a few Russians slide so far down the draft that we snag a gem and take a risk of him going KHL way? Do you go for John Mcfarland who was ranked high and slid this year? I hope we get a few big forwards with speed. But actually, we need to start drafting defensemen too. We only took one defenseman last year. I'm still a fan of going with best player available, and if a need is filled great. If not you develope them and trade later.

On my own personal mock (at least V.1), McFarland falls to where the Habs are picking - actually, I've picked him to go to the Habs in that version. However, in HW's Official Mock Draft, he's picked well before Montreal.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2086

No no no......not McFarland. Seen him play for the Wolves the last 2 years; and he's not a team player, and has no defensive game. (doesn't backcheck, is usually up at the blueline waiting for the puck) And IMO his game hasn't progressed from year 1 in the Ohl

During a meeting with the NYI, goalie Jack Campbell has been asked what were the 5 last songs he downloaded in his Ipod...

Maybe they know something other teams don't... :)

It wouldn't surprise me if they took another first round goalie. At least the pick would be at the end of the round.

Tyler Pitilick looks like a Habs target. I haven't seen him go that high in projections to date... it's certainly possible, though. I haven't read TSN's listing yet, it's generally the most accurate.

So Jarred Tinordi is their top pick, and they traded up for him ! Interesting.

Based on?

Anyways, how did Gormley and Fowler fall so far?? What a bizarre draft.

Future

Has committed to University of Notre Dame for the fall of 2010.

This.

Edited by BCHabnut

Can't have 1 draft without confusion - the NHL announces the Habs took Swedish winger John Westin, the Habs announce they've taken his brother Jens Westin. Goody...

Jens is 21 years old. Can you still drafted 21 year olds? Besides, he's a marginal D in the SEL, so I can't see that being the choice.

John is draft eligible and had a good year in the SuperElit junior league.

We got a guy that scored 52 goals (41 regular season, 11 playoffs) at age 17 in the WHL in Round 5. Smallest player in the league, so you size nuts won't be too happy, but man... he can play. And he fights, too.

Roasting Gauthier ? he had no cards in hands.

What a stupid rule to make the Playoffs Conference finalist drop their first

round pick to the benefits of other teams who are much stronger and finished

ranking 1 to 4 best in the league.

We would had not trade our second round pick to get BEEF.

Maybe one thing, bring back the Nords somebody will gice quebecers a chance somewhere.

Flush the Isles

We got a guy that scored 52 goals (41 regular season, 11 playoffs) at age 17 in the WHL in Round 5. Smallest player in the league, so you size nuts won't be too happy, but man... he can play. And he fights, too.

I'm a big fan of the Gallagher pick, if there was a steal of the day for Montreal's picks, my guess is that it'd be him. A worst case scenario is that he becomes a Locke-like player and plays a few years in Hamilton, that's a low-risk, semi-high reward pick.

The Habs also finally clarified the 7th round issue - John was picked, not Jens (the 21 year old). Took them long enough to update their site, kinda makes me wonder, though the aforementioned age issue should've settled it quickly. That pick seems decent too.

You can't help but notice that most of these guys do seem pretty small. It appears that the organization just does not prioritize size. Not a criticism necessarily - it's just interesting.