Habs Offseason Moves

huzer

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great signing... both of them. Both are young and should have better seasons.

Now, get Frolov, get rid of Hammer's contract, get one more defenseman, a backup goalie, and we are set!

Cammy - Pleks - Frolov

Gionta - Gomez - A.Kost

Moen - Eller - Pouliot

Pyatt - Laps - Darche

Subban - Gorges

Spacek - Markov

Obyrne - Gill

Price

Figured that's why he wasn't qualified: they had a deal they were negotiating anyways.

Apparently arbitration was the reason they didn't qualify him - they figured if he went to arbitration, he'd get upwards of $2 million. This was in essence an arbitration settlement, near the halfway point of his QO (the Habs 'offer') and what he likely would've got had he filed (~$2M).

This is my dream scenario. :)

1- Trade Hamrlik to a team like Edmonton for a pick/prospect. :)

2- Sign Frolov for 4.25 per. :)

3- Sign Lombardi for 3 per. :)

And we're looking at:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Frolov

Eller-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Lombardi-Kostitsyn

Pyatt-Lapierre-Moen

Darche

Markov-Subban

Spacek-O'Byrne

Gill-Gorges

ultra-cheap 7th like MAB

Price

Auld (for e.g.)

Cup champs. :)

This is my dream scenario. :)

1- Trade Hamrlik to a team like Edmonton for a pick/prospect. :)

2- Sign Frolov for 4.25 per. :)

3- Sign Lombardi for 3 per. :)

And we're looking at:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Frolov

Eller-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Lombardi-Kostitsyn

Pyatt-Lapierre-Moen

Darche

Markov-Subban

Spacek-O'Byrne

Gill-Gorges

ultra-cheap 7th like MAB

Price

Auld (for e.g.)

Cup champs. :)

I like, but that D still looks shaky to me ^_^

I keep hearing about teams that expect to have trouble meeting the cap ceiling. If that's right, I cannot believe that Hammer is untradeable. Time will tell. But knowing the Habs they will keep him around at least until Markov returns.

I like, but that D still looks shaky to me ^_^

I keep hearing about teams that expect to have trouble meeting the cap ceiling. If that's right, I cannot believe that Hammer is untradeable. Time will tell. But knowing the Habs they will keep him around at least until Markov returns.

Not much we can do about the D. Markov and Spacek aren't going anywhere, we're happy with Gill and Gorges as a bottom pairing, Subban definitely has a place - it just comes down to whether you're willing to let O'Byrne take a real stab at becoming a solid NHL d-man.

The other option (except for keeping Hammer) would be taking 2-3M D instead of Lombardi. Brett Clark, Mike Van Ryn, Toni Lydman, Derek Morris, Ruslan Salei, Joe Corvo, Aaron Ward, Brian Pothier, Jordan Leopold....

Cam-Plek-Fro

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

S :puke: K -Eller-AK

Darche-Lapierre-Moen

Markov-Subban

Spacek-Clark

Gill-Gorges

O'Byrne

Edited by BTH

Pouliot made $800k last year, and arbitration likely would have given him $2M? Wow. And to think I'm surprised at his $500k raise.

15 goals in 39 games with the Habs, so the agent can push that over a full season, he was a 30-goal scorer. That's how the case could have been made (legit or not).

15 goals in 39 games with the Habs, so the agent can push that over a full season, he was a 30-goal scorer. That's how the case could have been made (legit or not).

Counterpoint: 0 goals in 18 playoff games. That's 15 goals in 57 games with the Habs. That's a 21/22 goal pace over 82 games.

Further counterpoint: 2 goals in 14 regular season games with the Wild. So that's 17 goals in 71 NHL games last year. That's a 19-20 goal pace over 82 games.

That 30 goal case would be laughed out of the room by any reasonable person. We're talking about a 20 goal scorer this year.

Habs goals/game regular season: 2.56

Habs goals/game playoffs: 2.42

Pouliot goals/game regular season: 0.41 with Habs, 0.32 overall

The other 17 players on the Habs scored at pretty much the same pace during the playoffs as they did during the regular season. Pouliot's 0-fer caused the Habs' total goal scoring to drop.

Edited by saskhab

I would like to get out from under Hammer's contract and either trade for or sign a more affordable D. Hammer is good, but it's not a hole we couldn't fill for a cheaper cost. Trade the Kostitsyns for one more top 6, call up Sanford, and I think we are set.

RDS (and here) has Pyatt at $500K, which doesn't seem right to me. He was given a qualifying offer, and if he was $685K last year (I thought that was the case), doesn't his qualifying offer have to include a minimum raise? I feel like if they wanted to sign him at $500K, they would have had to not offer him a qualifying offer, wait until July 1, and sign him as a free agent (like they did with Kilger a few years ago).

RDS (and here) has Pyatt at $500K, which doesn't seem right to me. He was given a qualifying offer, and if he was $685K last year (I thought that was the case), doesn't his qualifying offer have to include a minimum raise? I feel like if they wanted to sign him at $500K, they would have had to not offer him a qualifying offer, wait until July 1, and sign him as a free agent (like they did with Kilger a few years ago).

The qualifying offer was for higher salary, but a two-way contract. He decided to sign the one-way deal instead, guaranteeing he'll earn $500k next year whether he flames out during the year and gets waived or not. It's also protection for him in case he gets hurt in preseason, I believe.

Technically, this is a non-move but worth noting anyway, Maxim Lapierre does not file for salary arbitration, effectively ending any hopes of a second buyout window opening up (for those of you still eager to buyout ___). The Habs can take him to arbitration tomorrow but it sounds like a contract should be reached later this week.

Technically, this is a non-move but worth noting anyway, Maxim Lapierre does not file for salary arbitration, effectively ending any hopes of a second buyout window opening up (for those of you still eager to buyout ___). The Habs can take him to arbitration tomorrow but it sounds like a contract should be reached later this week.

Laps has his place on the team. I just hope he can play more consistent. Once in a while he needs to stand up for his antics too. Overall, I like him though.

I know it doesn't mean anything, but has anyone noticed how north american this team has become?

I was kind of hoping he would file for arbitration today. lol

Laps has his place on the team. I just hope he can play more consistent. Once in a while he needs to stand up for his antics too. Overall, I like him though.

I know it doesn't mean anything, but has anyone noticed how north american this team has become?

we should bring in Arron Asham to teach him how to play...i also like the NA look we have now...bye bye AK and hammer i hope

I don't care about 'North American,' but I don't know why anyone would want us to dump Maxime Lapierre. He's been inconsistent in his young career, but a Lapierre on his game is exactly the kind of guy our teams needs. It's not surprising that he struggled in a season where practically everyone on the team was dumped and a new coach came in. He didn't adjust well, but he should get another chance at least.

Aaron Asham - haven't followed him closely, but if we aren't going to acquire a top-6 forward and he can be signed at a reasonable rate, he seems to be perfect for our bottom six.

I don't care about 'North American,' but I don't know why anyone would want us to dump Maxime Lapierre. He's been inconsistent in his young career, but a Lapierre on his game is exactly the kind of guy our teams needs. It's not surprising that he struggled in a season where practically everyone on the team was dumped and a new coach came in. He didn't adjust well, but he should get another chance at least.

Moreover, it's even less surprising that he struggled, given that he had ankle surgery in the 2009 offseason. Although he may have been medically cleared to return at the season's start, his ankle needed months after that to strengthen. The Max we saw near the end of the season and during the playoffs was more indicative of the type of player that he is.

I love the way Laps plays..I just hope this season, if things aren't going his way on the score sheet he still brings that grit and fiesty attitude.

Aaron Asham - haven't followed him closely, but if we aren't going to acquire a top-6 forward and he can be signed at a reasonable rate, he seems to be perfect for our bottom six.

ithink asham is a great 3rd 4th line guy and as been around a while and can set the pace for the young guys...I think he could really help maxime learn his role

Moreover, it's even less surprising that he struggled, given that he had ankle surgery in the 2009 offseason. Although he may have been medically cleared to return at the season's start, his ankle needed months after that to strengthen. The Max we saw near the end of the season and during the playoffs was more indicative of the type of player that he is.

Lapierre was one of our best players in the playoffs. He is clearly the one who stepped up his game the most (except Halak and maybe Gill).