Habs Offseason Moves

huzer

Only thing I would say is that it wouldn't swing pretty far in EITHER direction...those other potential tax/cost variables are all pretty much worse in Montreal. Housing is more in Montreal. Property taxes are, I'm sure, worse. Less available tax credits and income deductions in Canada. A player can buy a million dollar home and write off the interest on the mortgage against their income...a good accountant in the US would make mince meat out of anything a player in Canada can make dollar for dollar salary wise. Players in Calgary and Edmonton are probably equal to players from many US states overall...worse against many others. Players in Quebec are paying the highest taxes. In fact, Quebecers in general pay a stupid amount of taxes relative to the rest of the country...and, in reality, they get very little to show for it.

Umm, housing in Calgary, Edmonton is very high. Especially Calgary.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense to get Frolov because we are still lacking a top-6 forward (this assessment includes Kostitsyn as a top-6 forward, a debatable assumption 2/3 of the time). Whether the cap numbers work is another question, but it's notable that the guys Gauthier is not re-signing seem to be significantly more expensive than the Ellers and Boyds will be.

EDIT: Capgeek has the Habs with 5.6 mil to sign Price and Lapierre. OK, scratch Frolov, barring a trade.

The 5.6 is a little high as it deducts out all bonuses as the cushion exists again this year. If Eller's up full time, he'll probably hit them so the amount to spend is less than that. I wrote a piece on the cap a little while back, I've got the Habs having roughly $1.9 mil to spend on a UFA after Lapierre and Price sign, while allowing some space for injuries/recalls. If the Habs have another move in them without touching the roster, it'll be of the 3rd/4th line variety which is why Gauthier declared they're probably done (may as well try a youngster instead).

lol....higher trade value eh?

Theoretically, yes as he's literally worth a 50th overall pick in the draft. If there was someone the Habs really wanted in the late 2nd/early 3rd, he could have been a piece to deal. Contrast that to this point last year where he had next to no value and yes, he had higher trade value.

dont forget though... that every player in the nhl pays taxes in every state/jurisdiction they played in.

though habs happen to play 41 games in quebec, thus the bulk of the taxes go to quebec. but then theres taxes owed on games played elsewhere as well.

Not to revive old arguments - oh heaven forfend! - but people who haven't yet seen it might be interested in the quotes from Pierre MacGuire in this piece:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Ques...3037/story.html

Pierre, alas, was right about Huet, is correct that Price was an ill-chosen draft pick, and likely is right that Halak is not a flash in the pan. Whether he is correct that we could have gotten more for Halak is an unanswerable question, but the bottom line is the Habs would have done better had they done what he wanted on the goalie front over the last four years. :huh:

Not to revive old arguments - oh heaven forfend! - but people who haven't yet seen it might be interested in the quotes from Pierre MacGuire in this piece:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Ques...3037/story.html

Pierre, alas, was right about Huet, is correct that Price was an ill-chosen draft pick, and likely is right that Halak is not a flash in the pan. Whether he is correct that we could have gotten more for Halak is an unanswerable question, but the bottom line is the Habs would have done better had they done what he wanted on the goalie front over the last four years. :huh:

I disagree that Price is an ill-chosen draft pick. The way the habs treat prospects in this city do you think Kopitar would have developed the way he does, constantly under a microscope...amplifying any mistake to epic propotions?

It's funny, people constantly bemoan MacGuires over the top, rhetoric and simplistic analysis, TIL it suits their position then it jumps on it (not you CC, speaking about journalists in general). Eller is a great young player, the KIND of player we bitch at not drafting, so they get one...and its not enough. There may have been better offers that involved taking salary back, no one looks at that. They glaze over small details to say..."wow we could have traded Halak to Lecav", without a second thought on his enormous contract, or any research at all. I just can't see a GM not wanting all options, and JUST because Pierre said "Oh I talked to teams..bla bla bla", does it mean they'd really of offered that, or are they just being sour grapes they didn't get him.

What if Halak was a flash in the pan, (which I think he will be), doing what Pierre suggested would have looked dumb. I cannot for the life of me understand all this Halak love. He's never played a full season, played against weak competition, barely went .500 in the playoffs, and was pulled 3 times. This wasn't a Giggy or Cam Ward run.

People don't realize how silly it is to proclaim Halak an elite goalie, when two years ago Price was a allstar starter, led the team to the 1st place in the eastern conference. They proclaimed he was elite, now they're saying we were wrong? Fool me one, shame on me....why should we believe you now have it right, that Halak is a true starter with less accomplished than Price?

Another thing..for once Montreal traded a player at his peak, at his most value...and we get bitchin from the fans. The only thing that will keep the fans at bay is winning, and many fans got glimpse of it this year and are clouding their judgement with their emotions.

Too much gets put on goalies in Montreal, both good and bad, not all teams win and lose by their goalies...Detroit, Philly, Chicago are examples of this. I challenge all habs fans to not treat every weak goal let in my montreal goaltending this season as the end of days, and every shutout posted by Price and Auld as the next coming of Roy, Dryden. Some fans are so determined to be right that Halak is better than Price, that they would go as far as wanting the team to fail just to justify themselves.

Woooa I went off on a tangant...

There are too many good goalies around to actually worry about that position at this moment.

Id say one of Price, Auld, Sanford or Desjardins will be our next great goalie for 2-3 months just like Halak was this year. It doesnt matter what goalie we have if we dont have a good competetive team in front.

I think Niemi and Leighton proves that a great goalie isnt as important now as he was 20 years ago. The difference between a no1 goalie and a backup today is so thin compared to back then so why even whine about it? So what if Price blows this year and Halak has a super year? We just replace Price with either someone in the system or by trade or signing.

So what if Halak wins the Vezina next season? A year ago a goalie named Tim Thomas won the Vezina... he was a backup this year and is now concidered a heavilly overpayed 35+ aged backup. Until our team plays like a cup candidate we can have whatever goalie that has played at least 30 NHL games the last 2 years in net because they are almost as good as most no1 goalies.

There are no more Belfour's, Roy's, Brodeur's (he was easilly replaced by Clemensen a year ago), Hasek's. Now all goalies who makes it to the NHL can be superstars as long as they hit their hotstreaks at the perfect time. Check out Ellis, Huet and Leclaire (not sure about the name, I mean the one who signed with the senators a few years ago).

Edited by Dalhabs

As I've noted to the people e-mailing me about this article (since I'm one who supports this trade and people feel it necessary to really point this piece out to me to support their opinion), everyone needs to remember the cap when it comes to this deal. Could the Habs have gotten more NHL proven talent? Sure, but that would have cost more. Consider McGuire's statement a while back that SJ would have dealt Clowe/Murray for Halak. What's better?

A) Clowe, Murray ($6.125 M)

B) Plekanec, Eller, Schultz ($6.27 M - not including Schultz who's AHL bound)

That's basically what that element of that article boils down to. I also don't put any stock in the notion that Montreal didn't call to shop him around - everyone in the league knew 1 of the 2 had to go, that was stated by Gauthier himself long before the trade was made.

As for McGuire talking about Price, he hated the pick then, drooled over him during the World Juniors and his rookie NHL season, now doesn't think much again. I can't take him at face value when his opinion changes to suit his point. I don't think Halak will repeat his strong season next year though he'll still be a decent #1 goalie which means the Blues should be reasonably satisfied either way. The trade can't be judged now; wait 3-5 years, then we'll see what comes of it.

Pierre is being loose with his own personal history: he went on the airwaves saying Luc Bourdon should have been the Habs' pick, not Marc Staal (though I'm sure he was in his mind at the time, too) and definitely not Anze Kopitar. Obviously no one could have predicted the Bourdon tragedy, but in a way the Habs are lucky they didn't pick the guy Mcguire championed before all else for the Habs #5 pick back in 2005.

Also, the Habs thought they had a good young big body D in Komisarek at the time. Having two isn't a bad thing, but McGuire is arguing for drafting by organizational need rather than who you think is the best player available. So that's a completely different argument altogether. He bemoans drafting BPA here, but yet whines when Cherepanov and Esposito slip in '07, and Gormley and Fowler this past year. Teams pick for organizational need over BPA in those instances (in his mind), and he yells at them for doing that. He takes the opposite approach in '05. If he simply said Bourdon, Staal, and Kopitar were better prospects, period, than Price in '05, that's different. But he harps on organizational need for some reason. There's no consitentcy at all.

What a douche.

Pierre is being loose with his own personal history: he went on the airwaves saying Luc Bourdon should have been the Habs' pick, not Marc Staal (though I'm sure he was in his mind at the time, too) and definitely not Anze Kopitar. Obviously no one could have predicted the Bourdon tragedy, but in a way the Habs are lucky they didn't pick the guy Mcguire championed before all else for the Habs #5 pick back in 2005.

Also, the Habs thought they had a good young big body D in Komisarek at the time. Having two isn't a bad thing, but McGuire is arguing for drafting by organizational need rather than who you think is the best player available. So that's a completely different argument altogether. He bemoans drafting BPA here, but yet whines when Cherepanov and Esposito slip in '07, and Gormley and Fowler this past year. Teams pick for organizational need over BPA in those instances (in his mind), and he yells at them for doing that. He takes the opposite approach in '05. If he simply said Bourdon, Staal, and Kopitar were better prospects, period, than Price in '05, that's different. But he harps on organizational need for some reason. There's no consitentcy at all.

What a douche.

HAHAHAHAHA nice one Saskhab ! You should try to post this at the bottom of the article...

Also, Pierre, if we go back to what you said in 2005, you said the Price pick was "striaght off the reservation", so I don't know if you really want a bunch of people examining closely what you said on draft day in 2005.

The BPA arguement is a bit of scam. You honestly think the Canadiens stick to that. The Canadiens pick who ever they want and use the buzzword BPA so nobody can argue with them. The only time you would ever get caught is in the first three or four picks.

The BPA arguement is a bit of scam. You honestly think the Canadiens stick to that. The Canadiens pick who ever they want and use the buzzword BPA so nobody can argue with them. The only time you would ever get caught is in the first three or four picks.

Yep. Like Louis Leblanc was BPA in 2009.

Anyone hear what Lapierre signed for yet?

I know it was a one year deal but nothing on the amount yet. :angry:

EDIT:Edit #2 Nevermind he got $850,000 $900,000 for the one season.

Edited by Habitforming

Other than Leblanc (who actually was a very solid pick at that point in the draft regardless), can you think of another instance where they drafted based on whimsy or "organizational need"? If the Habs drafted by organizational need they wouldn't have drafted Price... they obviously felt he was the best player available. There wasn't an organizational need for David Fischer or Ryan McDonagh, either. They honestly thought those guys were the best ones available.

Anyone hear what Lapierre signed for yet?

I know it was a one year deal but nothing on the amount yet. :angry:

EDIT:Edit #2 Nevermind he got $850,000 $900,000 for the one season.

As was true of Boyd's salary, that seems slightly low to me - not that I'm complaining and not that Laps necessarily deserves more. It's been a funny year, with RFAs and UFAs for the most part seeming to be confronting teams with cap problems, determined to keep costs down. I think the Habs are definitely playing harder ball than they used to on salary negotiations. (Remember Ribeiro's raise after a crappy season? :wacko: Those days seem to be gonzo). Guys like Moore, bottom-6ers who want significant dough, are in for a rough ride.

As for MacGuire, I had a feeling that posting that link would generate some reaction ^_^ Nonetheless, the Price pick was generally regarded as odd at the time and I think events have proven that basic assessment correct. On a team with an absolutely screaming, systemic need for elite defencemen and skilled C with size - the case with the Habs at the time - there was in retrospect something almost wilfully perverse in picking a goalie. My sense is the Habs were adhering more rigidly to the BPA philosophy when they picked Price than they do now, and it bit them on the ass.

(Did that loudmouth really say 'straight off the reservation' when they drafted Price? Good Lord!!).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Oh, I think there is plenty of case for criticism in picking Price based on the BPA methodology. Fact is, he wasn't by pretty much every independent measurement the BPA. Of course, a lot of people thought Gilbert Brule was. Some did think Kopitar, and they were correct in retrospect. I guess the Habs didn't neccessarily strike out, but they chased a pitch out of the strike zone and got some kind of hit... just maybe not a home run (to take that baseball analogy to its most ridiculous).

And yes, search on YouTube for "Habs pick Carey Price" or something like that, and you'll see/hear McGuire's reaction, including that phrase. Not the man's finest choice of words, that's for sure.

Today is one of the last days for qualifying offers to be accepted, so I assume we'll get a few one year deals announced today (like Carle and Wyman). $900k is above Lapierre's qualifying offer (which would have been $840k), but not by a lot.

Today is one of the last days for qualifying offers to be accepted, so I assume we'll get a few one year deals announced today (like Carle and Wyman). $900k is above Lapierre's qualifying offer (which would have been $840k), but not by a lot.

Both Carle and Wyman have re-signed, 1yr 2 way deals.

Oh, I think there is plenty of case for criticism in picking Price based on the BPA methodology. Fact is, he wasn't by pretty much every independent measurement the BPA. Of course, a lot of people thought Gilbert Brule was. Some did think Kopitar, and they were correct in retrospect. I guess the Habs didn't neccessarily strike out, but they chased a pitch out of the strike zone and got some kind of hit... just maybe not a home run (to take that baseball analogy to its most ridiculous).

And yes, search on YouTube for "Habs pick Carey Price" or something like that, and you'll see/hear McGuire's reaction, including that phrase. Not the man's finest choice of words, that's for sure.

I remember the comments and the day of draft...search back to the Carey price selection, and his issues of a " laissez faire" attitutude, seen as " aloaf" , and a year later being cut from Brent Sutters CDN JR team, because he was the only player who chose to skip the optional skate ( last one)..

well, is he mentally tough to reach the next level? hmmmm no question of his skill and talent...

We all hear about POTENTIAL....well if ever realized is a fine line..

THE DRAFT I remember Anze Kopitar, and was hoping Habs would pick him, the risk here was him coming from a Non Traditional houckey country : Slovenia.

( READ: LARS ELLER, scouting as well), in both cases both picked around same ( 11 vs 13) in different years, lets see if we have similiar success,

Halak, will he be a Vakoun type or a Jim Carey type, or even worse for Habs, will he be a Hasek?

And does Price turn out to be a Felix Potvin, or a Jummy Waite?

Time will tell....

And time this year if Price can handle the mental part of game and the season with him on the spot light!!! I hope sooo. But???? ( well lets hope for no " BUTS")

Edited by HabsWEST

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Seriously. Price was picked 5th overall by the Habs in 2005. Can we please move on? How tiring is it that every thread devolves into who the Habs should've picked in 2005? If not Price, the Habs probably would've went with Brule anyway, so I guess the debate would be ongoing.

Sure wish the Habs would've taken Savard instead of Wickenheiser...

You never draft a goalie in the first 10 pick. Only montreal was stupid to draft Price while leaving behind other great players. We have a ton of goalies to chose from and that are already in our organization but that was Bob Gainey's stupid 5 year rebuilding plan. What a joke!!! :clap: