Habs Offseason Moves

huzer

Ramo's still young (only 24), could figure into the Habs' NHL plans next season. Better still, he was an All-Star in the KHL last year.

He has some ugly numbers despite being young. There's probably a reason he is in Russia. I always thought of Desjardins being plan B in case the Price experiment doesn't pan out. The kid is a winner.

Ramo played for some truly lousy teams (Norfolk and Tampa were awful when he was there), most feel he was rushed. Upon doing some research on him, the Lightning were inquiring to see if Ramo would opt out of his KHL deal this year to come back, they still think he's decent evidently. Most Tampa fans note he was basically rushed to the NHL due to injury and concede he's likely better than his numbers indicate.

As for why he's in Russia? He chose to go there when Tampa's ownership situation was iffy and since there wasn't NHL ice time necessarily available (they brought Niittymaki in that offseason as well). It was probably in his best interest too, he went to a good team, played well (he was an All-Star) and played more than he would have in North America.

All in all, it's a minor deal. With Sanford making $200,000 in the AHL, he wasn't going to be dealt so Ceddy it was. It clears up any goaltending logjam and gives the Habs an extra backup option for next season who is probably better than what his bad NHL numbers indicate. Frankly, I'm more puzzled as to why Tampa did the deal as they have several good youngsters in the system already (Tokarski, Helenius, Janus).

Low risk, low reward, the highlight of the deal for me is that there's actually a trade to discuss. :)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether this is a finacial decision or it isn't, as a hockey trade, I think it's safe to say that we traded the goalie with the highest potential.

Why is that? Because he put up AHL numbers that were on the same level as Denis in 2009 and Sanford in 2010?

Two career NHL scrubs. He lost his job to Sanford in the playoffs last season.

He is a winner because he won a Memorial Cup as an overager? He won an ECHL title?

He is 25 and still hasn't played an NHL game. The Canadiens fanbase is all over Price who has been an NHL regular for 3 seasons

and is 23.

This is a lateral move at worst.

Edited by Wamsley01

that free's up a spot in the 50 signed player limit... maybe something later? maybe just more wiggle room for the season...

That's true.

There's really not a lot to this trade. Desjardins numbers last year were gaudy at one point, so everyone thought he was fantastic, but then they came back down to earth (.919 SV% is good, but it's not elite) and then when Sanford got healthy he ended up playing himself out of the job.

Ramo most definitely has the higher upside of the two. It's just he isn't signed, and there's a chance he won't ever come back.

Why is that? Because he put up AHL numbers that were on the same level as Denis in 2009 and Sanford in 2010?

Two career NHL scrubs. He lost his job to Sanford in the playoffs last season.

He is a winner because he won a Memorial Cup as an overager? He won an ECHL title?

He is 25 and still hasn't played an NHL game. The Canadiens fanbase is all over Price who has been an NHL regular for 3 seasons

and is 23.

This is a lateral move at worst.

Yes, that is what I base my opinion on. Winning championships and having better numbers is a good indictation. He has never played an NHL game because we seemed to have a "controversy" in goal the last 3 years. But hey, hope I'm wrong and Ramo becomes the better backup goalie.

Yes, that is what I base my opinion on. Winning championships and having better numbers is a good indictation. He has never played an NHL game because we seemed to have a "controversy" in goal the last 3 years. But hey, hope I'm wrong and Ramo becomes the better backup goalie.

That's because Desjardins has played on some really good teams though (in terms of their talent beyond goalies). Not to pile on since he's gone as I liked him as an organizational goalie (could be acceptable as an injury callup short-term), but stick him on the teams Ramo played for previously, and there's no way he puts up those stats or wins those titles. He's never played an NHL game because...until this season, he'd never been a #1 AHL goalie, hardly what you want for an NHL keeper. Heck, even this year, he lost that job before long back to Sanford. His ceiling, in my opinion, is a #3 goalie. Assuming he would have stayed as the AHL backup in Hamilton this year, would we really be calling for Desjardins, who'll be 26 by then to be the NHL backup when he's never been able to supplant the various AHL starters in front of him? I sure hope not. It's a pretty telling sign that the Habs thought little of Desjardins when they paid Sanford some major AHL money to return to Hamilton this season. Losing him isn't worth getting upset about.

Ramo, without question, is the higher upside goalie here in my opinion. Despite being younger, he has an awful lot more experience (he's played for Team Finland internationally even) and showed glimpses in his NHL stint previously that he has the potential to be a legit NHL goalie. The expectation is that he'll come back next year; if he doesn't, then we can say the deal stings a bit. I'm not saying he's a future #1 goalie, but if he was the backup next season to Price, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If Desjardins was, I'd be more than concerned.

That's because Desjardins has played on some really good teams though (in terms of their talent beyond goalies). Not to pile on since he's gone as I liked him as an organizational goalie (could be acceptable as an injury callup short-term), but stick him on the teams Ramo played for previously, and there's no way he puts up those stats or wins those titles. He's never played an NHL game because...until this season, he'd never been a #1 AHL goalie, hardly what you want for an NHL keeper. Heck, even this year, he lost that job before long back to Sanford. His ceiling, in my opinion, is a #3 goalie. Assuming he would have stayed as the AHL backup in Hamilton this year, would we really be calling for Desjardins, who'll be 26 by then to be the NHL backup when he's never been able to supplant the various AHL starters in front of him? I sure hope not. It's a pretty telling sign that the Habs thought little of Desjardins when they paid Sanford some major AHL money to return to Hamilton this season. Losing him isn't worth getting upset about.

Ramo, without question, is the higher upside goalie here in my opinion. Despite being younger, he has an awful lot more experience (he's played for Team Finland internationally even) and showed glimpses in his NHL stint previously that he has the potential to be a legit NHL goalie. The expectation is that he'll come back next year; if he doesn't, then we can say the deal stings a bit. I'm not saying he's a future #1 goalie, but if he was the backup next season to Price, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If Desjardins was, I'd be more than concerned.

Yes, it is a fact that Desjardins has played on better teams. From what I read, Ramo got "shelled" on bad teams. All I know about Desjardins is that he is a late bloomer and constantly improves no matter what level of hockey he's playing. Loses the Memorial Cup one year, comes back and wins it the next. Increases his numbers in the AHL each of the last 3 years (a sick 2.00 GAA, 9.19 SV over 45 games). I assume he is going to come back strong this year with something to prove, like he has in the past.

Ramo is younger (9 months) and showed glimpses of being an NHL starter during his stint. I could show glimpses but at the end of the day I am just not good enough to be in the NHL. And all this not even counting the fact that he is playing in the KHL and may never see le blue, blanc et rouge.

I was happy to see my favourite Habs blogger puzzled at this trade as well:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-Engels...s-Deal/82/29797

Yes, it is a fact that Desjardins has played on better teams. From what I read, Ramo got "shelled" on bad teams. All I know about Desjardins is that he is a late bloomer and constantly improves no matter what level of hockey he's playing. Loses the Memorial Cup one year, comes back and wins it the next. Increases his numbers in the AHL each of the last 3 years (a sick 2.00 GAA, 9.19 SV over 45 games). I assume he is going to come back strong this year with something to prove, like he has in the past.

Ramo is younger (9 months) and showed glimpses of being an NHL starter during his stint. I could show glimpses but at the end of the day I am just not good enough to be in the NHL. And all this not even counting the fact that he is playing in the KHL and may never see le blue, blanc et rouge.

It's a decent read but anyone who calls Desjardins "a top prospect" loses a lot of credibility in my opinion - 25 year old AHL backups aren't top anything. If he was a top prospect, he'd have been at least an AHL starter by now. :) As for Ramo coming back, his agent said 2 months ago the plans were to return to Tampa next season; now that he has a better situation to come to next year, it's hard to see him turning back on that. I also imagine the Habs are reasonably assured he's coming back, otherwise, it would have made no sense to deal him.

As for Desjardins coming back strong, I think he'll have a good year in Tampa's system as there's some good players there. I think he'll be hard pressed to get 47 games like he did last year though when he's behind multiple prospects who are better than him. As I've said before, I can understand why the Habs did the trade (with no ECHL affiliate, they needed a home for a much younger Robert Mayer) but why Tampa brought another goalie into an already crowded system is beyond me.

A quote from the article you linked:

But now, if Price falters, it won't just be: "How could Gauthier choose Price over Halak," it'll be "not only did he choose Price, but he got rid of the one guy who could adequately replace him if things don't work out, or if Price gets injured."

If Desjardins couldn't adequately replace Curtis Sanford (or Marc Denis previously), how on Earth could he adequately replace Price?

The other thing that should be noted is Desjardins' waiver situation. He has to clear next year, so this is it for him basically in the AHL. If you have a 25 year old minor league backup and can get something of value for him, you do it without question. If you can get a more proven and more experienced goalie (with arguably a higher ceiling), who's younger while alleviating a potential issue with no ECHL affiliate to send Mayer to, what's the problem again? Concerns that an AHL backup may come back to haunt us later? Small risk to take. As I've said, it's a minor deal, there's no real winner or loser.

It isn't about stats in the AHL, QMJHL or ECHL.

If it was, then Michael Leighton and Jason LaBarbera would be NHL stars.

Guys like Pasi Nurminen, Wade Flaherty, Johan Holmqvist and Frederic Cassivi have won the AHL playoff MVP award

over the last 10 seasons. Nittymaki and Neuvirth have also won in the last 5 seasons.

Go over the goaltenders on the Memorial Cup champions and you are most likely to say who? before you recognize

any names. Guys like Cam Ward, Martin Brodeur and Ryan Miller haven't won a damn thing in their career.

Patrick Roy had abysmal statistics in the Q in the 80s.

Desjardins barely outplayed Denis and Sanford in back to back seasons and lost his starting job to Sanford because of his .903 SV% in the second half of 2010. He barely played in the playoffs.

Desjardins is a dime a dozen.

Edited by Wamsley01

It isn't about stats in the AHL, QMJHL or ECHL.

If it was, then Michael Leighton and Jason LaBarbera would be NHL stars.

Guys like Pasi Nurminen, Wade Flaherty, Johan Holmqvist and Frederic Cassivi have won the AHL playoff MVP award

over the last 10 seasons. Nittymaki and Neuvirth have also won in the last 5 seasons.

Go over the goaltenders on the Memorial Cup champions and you are most likely to say who? before you recognize

any names. Guys like Cam Ward, Martin Brodeur and Ryan Miller haven't won a damn thing in their career.

Patrick Roy had abysmal statistics in the Q in the 80s.

Desjardins barely outplayed Denis and Sanford in back to back seasons and lost his starting job to Sanford because of his .903 SV% in the second half of 2010. He barely played in the playoffs.

Desjardins is a dime a dozen.

Fine, Desjardins is pure trash and will never amount anything. What makes Ramo so good and how did we win this deal?

Fine, Desjardins is pure trash and will never amount anything. What makes Ramo so good and how did we win this deal?

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's trash but he certainly replaceable, clearly not more than a depth prospect (which isn't a bad thing, good organizations have those players too). What makes Ramo so good? He's not "so good" but is a better fit for Montreal going forward.

Something I just thought of, Desjardins stands to become a UFA next season under Group 6 rules unless he plays 28 NHL games, which he wouldn't have. This is simply a case of getting something now rather than losing him through UFA next year.

So how do the Habs win? They get a goalie who could help next year for a goalie who surely would've moved on (to get a better chance on another team). Like I said, it's not a huge victory for either team, but I can appreciate why the Habs did this deal.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's trash but he certainly replaceable, clearly not more than a depth prospect (which isn't a bad thing, good organizations have those players too). What makes Ramo so good? He's not "so good" but is a better fit for Montreal going forward.

Something I just thought of, Desjardins stands to become a UFA next season under Group 6 rules unless he plays 28 NHL games, which he wouldn't have. This is simply a case of getting something now rather than losing him through UFA next year.

So how do the Habs win? They get a goalie who could help next year for a goalie who surely would've moved on (to get a better chance on another team). Like I said, it's not a huge victory for either team, but I can appreciate why the Habs did this deal.

I think it's fair to say that these guys won't be franchise changing goalies regardless. And that nobody expects them to be anything but an NHL backup at best in the near future. I just can't wrap my head around trading a player who came up through the organization, was successful in development and can speak french (not that I personally care about that, but we all know the media importance). If Desjardins becomes UFA next year, who's to say he would sign elsewhere? What better situation is there out there for him since there will be an opening for backup goalie in one of the best sports franchises in the world? You gotta believe that Guy Boucher had an influence on this deal, telling Stevie Y that this kid can play.

I think it's fair to say that these guys won't be franchise changing goalies regardless. And that nobody expects them to be anything but an NHL backup at best in the near future. I just can't wrap my head around trading a player who came up through the organization, was successful in development and can speak french (not that I personally care about that, but we all know the media importance). If Desjardins becomes UFA next year, who's to say he would sign elsewhere? What better situation is there out there for him since there will be an opening for backup goalie in one of the best sports franchises in the world? You gotta believe that Guy Boucher had an influence on this deal, telling Stevie Y that this kid can play.

What better opportunities would be out there? Any team would provide a better opportunity as Desjardins wasn't going to be considered for the Habs' backup job next year - if anything, they'd bring Sanford back ahead of him judging by the current pecking order. One of the reports (I forget which one it was I read last night) mentioned that Gauthier told Desjardins he wasn't in the future plans (obviously they weren't too thrilled with his slow development) - I say slow as he's been in the pros for 4 years and hasn't made it yet to an AHL #1. With Sanford being the #1 for Hamilton this year, he wasn't going to get the opportunity to prove himself so of course he'd leave, even to a team that would give him a #3 job as it would be a new opportunity, a new environment to try to thrive in. Can't really blame him either for that.

As for a replacement, the Habs have invited Peter Delmas to their rookie camp next month. He's played the last 4 years in the Q and was a 2nd rounder back in 2008. More info.

I never said he is pure trash, but this trade goes under the who cares category.

People have written off Carey Price as a bust and he is 23 and has played 3 full NHL seasons. Desjardins lost his AHL job

to a career NHL backup and he has potential?

It is nonsensical.

Personally I think it clear that Ramo has the higher ceiling.

However, I think the big advantage here is that Ramo will not be a UFA until 3 years from now. Desjardins will be a UFA at the end of this season (unless he somehow plays 28 NHL games which will never happen). We have 3 years to convince Ramo to come back.

I never said he is pure trash, but this trade goes under the who cares category.

People have written off Carey Price as a bust and he is 23 and has played 3 full NHL seasons. Desjardins lost his AHL job

to a career NHL backup and he has potential?

It is nonsensical.

Well so far this summer we have traded 2 of our top 3 young goaltenders and replaced them with a mediocore journeyman backup and a guy who has put up alot of ugly numbers in his career. I personally love the homegrown goalies we had/have and want that trend to continue. Our scouts seem to traditionally do well in this category. For the record Price is my favourite player since he got drafted and will play great for many years IMO. I just don't see the logic in the trade other than financial implecations now or down the road.

Well so far this summer we have traded 2 of our top 3 young goaltenders and replaced them with a mediocore journeyman backup and a guy who has put up alot of ugly numbers in his career. I personally love the homegrown goalies we had/have and want that trend to continue. Our scouts seem to traditionally do well in this category. For the record Price is my favourite player since he got drafted and will play great for many years IMO. I just don't see the logic in the trade other than financial implecations now or down the road.

What amazes me is people who still think that Desjardins numbers and performances are better than Rämo's numbers and performances, even if the last one put up his numbers in the NHL instead of the AHL...

What amazes me is people who still think that Desjardins numbers and performances are better than Rämo's numbers and performances, even if the last one put up his numbers in the NHL instead of the AHL...

The difference between Ramo and Desjardins is that the Canadiens brass knows exactly what Desjardins potential is.

He played 4 full seasons of major junior and has now been under the Habs watch for 4 more seasons. That is 8 seasons

of watching a player mature and observing where he has improved and where he continually fails to improve.

Ramo has done a lot of his growth outside of North America and is a harder case for even the Lightning to gauge.

His numbers with the Pelicans are hard to judge because he was an 18 year old playing professionally.

Playing on a strong HPK Hameenlinna team he put up strong numbers and with Springfield he also

put the best numbers on the team as a 20 year old. After that it is a career regression on poor team after poor team.

He rebounded somewhat with Omsk this season, but still did not post numbers that project future greatness.

Ramo looks to be swimming in the same stream as an NHL backup, the same stream as Desjardins. With the contract

implications, roster spot etc this move is a no brainer that is only scrutinized because of the french surname and crazed

media that envelops Montreal.

Edited by Wamsley01

Blah.. this trade is so nothing I am not sure why either team bothered.

This whole off seasons has been Blah, I don't see this team as any better then last year, nor do I see much progression. All we have done is gone from our eggs in two baskets (Price and Halak) to one basket (Price). We got what I consider one decent PROSPECT from the trade, but nothing that I see makes us significantly better. We have also locked into two small forwards (some people are happy we have Pleks, but I don't think having two small centers is the best idea in the world).

PK is coming up which is exciting, but I hope people don't expect him to be Markov in his first full year. Its one thing to ride playoff emotion, its another to battle for a season!

Personally, I agree with many of the ranking sites who have us firmly in the middle of the pack. A strong year by Price and we make the playoffs, a weak year and we probable miss. We are no where close to top 8 team in this league, despite the heroics of last spring.

I concede we didn't get any new players, but there's something to be said with consistancy, and familiarity, for once there hasn't been a huge shake up. I think the habs are better than a lot of critics think. I think we are in the top 10 if not top 8 in the league, especially since a lot of teams got weaker. Then again it's easier to be pesimistic and act surprised then have faith and be disapppointed :P

I completely forgot hockey existed for a while. I didn't want to evaluate this team until Gauthier brought in our new top 6 forward. I've been waiting for over a year... I guess it's Pouliot.