Plekanec re-signs with Habs

Wamsley01

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how many years is the deal for?

5 million seems about right. I'd have preferred a bit less, but Plekanec's definitely leaves money on the table by agreeing to terms before reaching UFA.

I don't really like that move. 5 mill is too much for not even a PPG player who has a history of choking becoming invisible in the playoffs.

maybe it's a sign and trade.

4.5M and I wouldve been happy. 5M is 0,5 to much but thats not THAT horrible.

Hope he can play at least as good as last season again and bring it into the playoffs.

Edited by Dalhabs

$5M is perfectly reasonable. Obviously, I'd have preferred less, but five million isn't in the "OMG, what were they thinking?!" category.

I'm happy with this news.

We knew that we would have to over pay for him so don't be too surprised. At 5 million a season he isn't that over paid either.

I am surprised that Plex didn't see what other offers he might have received.

We are fairly solid up the middle now. We would all like more size but with Gomez, Plekanec, Eller and Laps we are at least competitive at the centre position.

Now we just need to dump the Kostitsyns and find a solid winger.

The news just keeps getting worse...

i agree at best i think his worth 4 mil a year....but he was being pick as this years top ufa and his good on the pk...

I would of traded his rights for a 3rd rounder...I hope he proves me wrong and keep getting better..but thats alot of money to put in 2 small C..hope we got enough left for a big winger..

but i like plexs at 5mil a year, alot more then i would of like halak at 5 mil...

iam so on sure about this move...lol

Edited by KEEP26

WOW! They did it! Would have been brutal losing him and not being able to replace him. Like dalhabs said, it's maybe 500k more than we thought he was worth, but hey, it's not the end of the world, it's not overpaying much for a player who could have been UFA.

Plekanec is not only a player who should keep up his progression and be an offensive threat, but he is also one of the best two-way centre in the league now.

Even Mike Richards, Joe Thornton, Toews and other top C had disappointing series. We can't judge Tomas only on his performance against the Flyers.

I'm glad that we were able to keep him. We've been following him for a long time and he's been a pleasant surprise, for someone labeled as a 3rd line centre..

Congrats Pierre on his 1st important signing with the Habs.

6 years is alot for a guy who had one good season.

1. He has had two good seasons

2. What does everybody think the going rate is for a center entering UFA status?

It is amazing to me the money people will throw at Halak, but not at Plekanec.

Pleks plays a position that is integral to success in the NHL and one in which the Habs have zero organizational depth.

Halak plays a position in which the Habs have a 22 year old bargain and people freak out when he is traded.

I remember the outrage when the Habs re-signed Markov. He's not a $5.75M defenseman!! (I was one of them by the way,

it was pretty idiotic in hindsight) I would have paid $5M tops! What difference does that 750k make per season? If you are happy

at $4.5M, is $5M something to be angry about?

Edited by Wamsley01

i agree at best i think his worth 4 mil a year....but he was being pick as this years top ufa and his good on the pk...

I would of traded his rights for a 3rd rounder...I hope he proves me wrong and keep getting better..but thats alot of money to put in 2 small C..hope we got enough left for a big winger

It's not so much the $5 M price tag that bothers me...it's the 6 years. If he reverts back to the form I expect him to next season (50-60 points), his deal may actually be harder to move than Gomez's. That's quite frankly a scary thought. :)

6 years is alot for a guy who had one good season.

4 straight years with 20+ goals, this was definitely his best season, but to say he's been awful in the past really isn't a reasonable comment.

given the current economic climate - i'd be shocked if the salary cap didn't continue to go up over the next 6 seasons. $5 mil per year looks bad right now (concensus seems to have preferred $4 - $4.5 mil for Pleks) - but in 4-5 years, $5 mil per year may actually be a great deal for the Habs.

my only regret here is that all those posters who love the 'lost player X for nothing, why didn't we trade before him before he became UFA' arguments will need to learn a new song.

good work PG!

Nice to know that we aren't going into free agency desperate.

5M is fair. At least we have a core signed long term. I wonder if there's still a way to get Frolov without buying out Hammer.

The problem is they just traded for by most reports an NHL ready centerman with size, speed and grit who is only 21 years old. Do they really want to move Eller to the wing? put him on the 3rd line for 3 more years?

I don't know, maybe they'll trade the Kosty bro's for a winger or pick and have Eller and Pouliot as LW's ont he top 2 lines.

Too long of a contract for me. I'm hope there isn't a NTC with it as well.

4 straight years with 20+ goals, this was definitely his best season, but to say he's been awful in the past really isn't a reasonable comment.

never said he was horrible, but he wasnt a 5 million dollar guy those other three years.

Nice to know that we aren't going into free agency desperate.

5M is fair. At least we have a core signed long term. I wonder if there's still a way to get Frolov without buying out Hammer.

It'll be tough I think. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the cap yet as my article on that won't appear until after the draft but off the top of my head, someone making at least 3 would need to go for that to fit.

It's not so much the $5 M price tag that bothers me...it's the 6 years. If he reverts back to the form I expect him to next season (50-60 points), his deal may actually be harder to move than Gomez's. That's quite frankly a scary thought. :)

How is a 27 year old 5M 60-point player harder to move than a 31 year old 7.3M 60-point player? Maybe in three years when Gomez can be considered a rental.

6 years is a bit tough to swallow but we have one of the better two way forwards in the game. His point totals aside Plex plays key PK minutes, has amazing speed, is creative and has the ability to snipe some nice goals. Some of Cammy's success is due to Plex's hard work.

I don't love the deal but it isn't bad either.

It'll be tough I think. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the cap yet as my article on that won't appear until after the draft but off the top of my head, someone making at least 3 would need to go for that to fit.

So in other words, it's still possible seeing as we haven't moved Andrei yet. Kostitsyns for a young NHL-ready player followed by Frolov for 4-4.5M would make me very happy.