Plekanec re-signs with Habs

Wamsley01

Tomas will be 33 y.o. at the end of this 6 year contract... not that old. He should even have still plenty of gas left in the tank. And with the economy picking up and probably the salary cup going up, it's maybe a great deal in the end.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

never said he was horrible, but he wasnt a 5 million dollar guy those other three years.

This year he had 70 points, two years ago he had 69. Three years ago he was a sophomore on the incline - of course he wasn't worth 5M yet. We're overpaying a bit but that's the price you pay to keep your core together.

So in other words, it's still possible seeing as we haven't moved Andrei yet. Kostitsyns for a young NHL-ready player followed by Frolov for 4-4.5M would make me very happy.

Frolov is a hard player to trust. He could end up being very similar to the tit brothers. Innconsitant.

It'll be tough I think. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the cap yet as my article on that won't appear until after the draft but off the top of my head, someone making at least 3 would need to go for that to fit.

We should have enough room then to pick up a solid winger if we trade AK. One more trade for a quality winger and I will be happy with the moves.

It's not so much the $5 M price tag that bothers me...it's the 6 years. If he reverts back to the form I expect him to next season (50-60 points), his deal may actually be harder to move than Gomez's. That's quite frankly a scary thought. :)

Plekanec is never going to be an 80-90 pt guy, but I don't know why you expect him to regress to 50-60 pts.

He has put up 70 pts in two of the last three seasons and will likely be playing with Cammalleri for a full 82 game

schedule. He plays tough minutes as well.

It isn't an outrageous contract and it allows Eller to develop with zero pressure.

Frolov is a hard player to trust. He could end up being very similar to the tit brothers. Innconsitant.

From what I've heard from Kings fans, he is well liked, has a good attitude and is a really solid defensive player. I can tolerate inconsistency from such a player (or from a guy like Plekanec) much more easily than I can from a headcase like Sergei Kostitsyn.

How is a 27 year old 5M 60-point player harder to move than a 31 year old 7.3M 60-point player? Maybe in three years when Gomez can be considered a rental.

Gomez's value increases after next season when his salary is less than his cap hit. For teams looking to reach the floor without spending, there would be interest. For Plekanec's deal (fairly level if not 5 mil across the board I'm hearing), that'll be tough to move.

Why are people reacting badly to this? Six years at a reasonable price? This is good news!

Market wise, it's a reasonable price, but I don't put Plekanec in the company of Gionta, Cammalleri, and Markov in terms of being key core players. In the case of the first two (plus Gomez), that's the core for 4 years. Is it a contending core? We'll soon see how much of the playoff success was Halak and how much the team as this deal virtually kills any shot of bringing in notable outside help.

From what I've heard from Kings fans, he is well liked, has a good attitude and is a really solid defensive player. I can tolerate inconsistency from such a player (or from a guy like Plekanec) much more easily than I can from a headcase like Sergei Kostitsyn.

I guess better than them but it all depens on what he's asking i supose, and if we can unload the Kost brothers for something in return.

Good news, i was looking at the 1st july countdown, and considereing other options.

He would have got the same maybe more money elsewhere.

There is one year too many on the contract, and he got signed one year too late.

Wow....what a ridiculous contract. There was no reason to give this guy this kind of money. They should have let him walk. I am appalled to think of the money they are going to throw at Carey Price

Plekanec is never going to be an 80-90 pt guy, but I don't know why you expect him to regress to 50-60 pts.

He has put up 70 pts in two of the last three seasons and will likely be playing with Cammalleri for a full 82 game

schedule. He plays tough minutes as well.

It isn't an outrageous contract and it allows Eller to develop with zero pressure.

10 points in the final quarter of the season (21 games) plus the 11 in 19 playoff games. That's a low 40 point pace there when he was being checked a lot tighter. I don't expect a regression to 08-09 numbers but I'd be shocked if he matches this season's point total at any time during this contract. If nothing else, he does play well defensively which makes this slightly easier to swallow. (I'm also against any contract length beyond 4 years, so that's why the length bugs me...)

I do like that it eases some pressure off Eller, I will agree with that much.

10 points in the final quarter of the season (21 games) plus the 11 in 19 playoff games. That's a low 40 point pace there when he was being checked a lot tighter. I don't expect a regression to 08-09 numbers but I'd be shocked if he matches this season's point total at any time during this contract. If nothing else, he does play well defensively which makes this slightly easier to swallow. (I'm also against any contract length beyond 4 years, so that's why the length bugs me...)

Subtract Kostisyn and add a more reliable winger to Plex's line and we might see better production. We need a power forward type winger for that line.

Wow....what a ridiculous contract. There was no reason to give this guy this kind of money. They should have let him walk. I am appalled to think of the money they are going to throw at Carey Price

With Carey we'll get him cheap. Its up to him to prove he's more than just a rookie sensation. Thats when he will get his dough.

There's that way of looking at it, but a) the general consensus was that Pleks was playing injured, and b) Pleks was shutting down Crosby for 7 of those games. Granted, no evidence for point A has surfaced post-elimination, but I thought he was playing injured for sure since January. A healthy Cammalleri should help keep Plekanec producing at a 65-70 point pace, IMO.

Even Mike Richards, Joe Thornton, Toews and other top C had disappointing series. We can't judge Tomas only on his performance against the Flyers.

Talking about Jonathan "Conn Smythe" Toews ?

Too long of a contract for me. I'm hope there isn't a NTC with it as well.

There is, not sure if it's a full NTC, full NMC, or a modified/partial NTC. But there is some sort of trade restriction in there.

So in other words, it's still possible seeing as we haven't moved Andrei yet. Kostitsyns for a young NHL-ready player followed by Frolov for 4-4.5M would make me very happy.

In that scenario (with a little work), it could happen.

The Habs have roughly $50.7 million tied up in 15 players next season including Laraque's buyout and Eller in the NHL. The cap is heading to about $59 next year. 8 players to sign (including 2 goalies) for $8 million. It's going to be a quiet free agency period aside from a backup G unless something else happens between now and then.

Gomez's value increases after next season when his salary is less than his cap hit. For teams looking to reach the floor without spending, there would be interest. For Plekanec's deal (fairly level if not 5 mil across the board I'm hearing), that'll be tough to move.

But we wouldn't be desperate to move Plekanec's contract if he turns out to be only a million dollars overpaid. Gomez is more like two million dollars overpaid, maybe more.

I don't see why teams wouldn't be willing to take a 60 point TW player that earns 5M. Horton is a 60M TW player making 4M and he was just traded for Wideman and a mid 1st.

But we wouldn't be desperate to move Plekanec's contract if he turns out to be only a million dollars overpaid. Gomez is more like two million dollars overpaid, maybe more.

I don't see why teams wouldn't be willing to take a 60 point TW player that earns 5M. Horton is a 60M TW player making 4M and he was just traded for Wideman and a mid 1st.

If you had to pick between Horton and Plekanec given the contracts and what they bring to the table, who would you take? Don't get me wrong, the deal could've been worse but I wasn't a fan of re-signing him outright as that would have allowed some flexibility to the core. Now we're locked in for a long time with the team we have now. That more than anything concerns me.

I don't buy into judging a guys last quarter to assess his next seasons performance. I used to do all those projections

when I wrote about fantasy hockey and it wasn't exactly concrete.

Pleks had 6 points in his last 20 games in 2009 and put up 70 in 2010.

He also had 15 points in his final 17 games in 2008 and put up 39 points in 2009.

I am not big on deals longer than 4 years either, but it was probably unavoidable.

The way I look at it is....at least it wasn't $5.5 - 6M per.

If you had to pick between Horton and Plekanec given the contracts and what they bring to the table, who would you take? Don't get me wrong, the deal could've been worse but I wasn't a fan of re-signing him outright as that would have allowed some flexibility to the core. Now we're locked in for a long time with the team we have now. That more than anything concerns me.

Why? We were the 28th team to get eliminated.

This is the main reason that the Halak trade bothered me. I knew that trading Halak would be so they could free up cash for Plek. I was really hoping that a overpaid 2 year contract for Halak in the 3.5 to 4 mill range would force us to let Plek go. He was our best player last year, but 5 million for 6 years is a big contract. 4 years makes more sense. uggghhh. lock a few more oompa loompas. Then we can break down big defensive teams way easier.

The way I look at it is....at least it wasn't $5.5 - 6M per.

Hear, hear.

Why? We were the 28th team to get eliminated.

How much of that was by goaltending though? If Halak doesn't make 50 saves a night in Round 1, we're talking about being the first or second team eliminated. Which core is the true one? The one who made it to the 3rd round or the one whose goaltending stole a series in Round 1? I don't think the core is at either of those (somewhere in the middle) which suggests 1st and 2nd round appearances at best for a while. Though it could be worse, I'd have preferred more flexibility (and I've been that way since I started tracking the cap where flexibility is everything).

There is, not sure if it's a full NTC, full NMC, or a modified/partial NTC. But there is some sort of trade restriction in there.

In that scenario (with a little work), it could happen.

The Habs have roughly $50.7 million tied up in 15 players next season including Laraque's buyout and Eller in the NHL. The cap is heading to about $59 next year. 8 players to sign (including 2 goalies) for $8 million. It's going to be a quiet free agency period aside from a backup G unless something else happens between now and then.

we so got to move guys to free up cash for a big time winger.... Kostitsyn +(one off)Hamrlik,Spacek,Gill