Plekanec re-signs with Habs

Wamsley01

I was tentative at first, but have really come around to this deal. The thing I like about it is that it gives us a clear window about when they will make a cup run. Gomez, Cammi, Gio, Plek are all signed for at least the next four years, and will make up two thirds of our top six. In two years we will have the Hammer, Spacek, Gill contracts all off the books, and they will hopefully be replaced by three of Subban, Weber, Carle, and O'Byrne. At that same time we will hopefully have two of MaxPac, Eller, and Pouliot fill out the other top six spots while the third plays on the third line with two of Pyatt/Laps/Shultz/White/Moen (if resigned). This will also be the time when Carey Price is entering his prime and hopefully fulfilling that massive potential. If we resign Markov and maybe one other high end player I am confident we will be competing, maybe not next year, but two or three years down the road.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the Habs lost Plex, it would have been "Montreal wasted another homegrown asset". Now that he's signed, the lament is that he's got a crappy contract. Boy it would sure be easier if players would sign for what fans determine their reasonable value to be. I think "valuation by fansite user poll" should be a key arbitration tactic in the future.

Had the Habs lost Plex, it would have been "Montreal wasted another homegrown asset". Now that he's signed, the lament is that he's got a crappy contract. Boy it would sure be easier if players would sign for what fans determine their reasonable value to be. I think "valuation by fansite user poll" should be a key arbitration tactic in the future.

You're absolutely right! I would have hated to see him with another team. He's an elite penalty-killer, and a smart player, and almost a point per game performer.

6 years is alot for a guy who had one good season.

2 good seasons, and let's not forget that had camms not been injured last year, Plex would have gotten 80 points for sure!

4 straight seasons with 20+ goals.

Had Plex waites til next week, he could have gotten 5.5 or even 6 million per year!

As I'm one of the negative ones in this thread, I assume this is directed at me somewhat. I've been consistent all offseason in saying I didn't want Plekanec back period as I felt he'd peaked and we'd be paying too much for what would be a 55 point player. I couldn't care less about the homegrown asset part, but that's been my opinion all along. Seeing the same player get 6 years doesn't exactly make me feel too happy. I'm moderately satisfied in that he signed for below what he'd have gotten on the market but that's still a lot more than I personally think he's worth. I would have preferred a lesser 2nd line C with the extra cap space used to fill another need.

:lol::clap:

I am not crazy about this deal. He is overpaid, and I fully expected him to be, but I hoped not by us. I think this is about the best you will get from Pleks and 6 years is too long. The main worry I have is that he is not the player for us. If we didn't have Gomez but a big number one guy, then pleks would be fine at that price, but I don't like having Gomez and Pleks looked up at those prices for that long. We will never get that big center now, just like we were stuck when the had Koivu signed with Pleks as number two.

Price and Pleks better have several good years, since we dumped a damn good goalie for them. I know some people here are huge Price fans and have been since he was drafted, but in my opinion he is still 'potentially good, with several worrying signs". Typically, those people also make all kinds of excuses to underrate Halak (of course, when Price stops 25 shots from the outside, its because he is a franchise guy, but when Halak does 45, his stats were padded by easy shots!!!

In any case, these are gambles and we will either get better, or be stuck in 14th to 20th place for about 5 years.

Well said. I completely agree! I still can't get over the fact that some people don't like this deal. in 10 days he could've gotten 6 million$ per year somewhere else, then the same people who are complaining today about this deal, would be the first ones to complain that we never keep the guys we brought up!

This is a good deal, and as the years pass, it will become a great deal!(like the markov deal)!

I am not crazy about this deal. He is overpaid, and I fully expected him to be, but I hoped not by us. I think this is about the best you will get from Pleks and 6 years is too long. The main worry I have is that he is not the player for us. If we didn't have Gomez but a big number one guy, then pleks would be fine at that price, but I don't like having Gomez and Pleks looked up at those prices for that long. We will never get that big center now, just like we were stuck when the had Koivu signed with Pleks as number two.

Price and Pleks better have several good years, since we dumped a damn good goalie for them. I know some people here are huge Price fans and have been since he was drafted, but in my opinion he is still 'potentially good, with several worrying signs". Typically, those people also make all kinds of excuses to underrate Halak (of course, when Price stops 25 shots from the outside, its because he is a franchise guy, but when Halak does 45, his stats were padded by easy shots!!!

In any case, these are gambles and we will either get better, or be stuck in 14th to 20th place for about 5 years.

Or if Halak beats Florida 5-4 it's because he is a superstar, but when Price loses 2-1 to Carolina it's because he is a career back-up. I guess it depends on what spin you put on things.

Thank you! I've been getting slagged for 4 days over this and you are the first guy to agree with me!

Well said. I completely agree! I still can't get over the fact that some people don't like this deal. in 10 days he could've gotten 6 million$ per year somewhere else, then the same people who are complaining today about this deal, would be the first ones to complain that we never keep the guys we brought up!

This is a good deal, and as the years pass, it will become a great deal!(like the markov deal)!

The issue I have is not specifically about the Plek signing. I just worry that our 4 best players would be "The short kids" at a grade 9 comencement ceremony. With all of the high salary little people, I was hoping Gauthier would see that and let Plek walk in order to adress our size issue. It is an issue too. Flyers defense kept our little fellers outside so easily. They made leighton look good. Too easily. This team has nobody that can drive the net.

Or if Halak beats Florida 5-4 it's because he is a superstar, but when Price loses 2-1 to Carolina it's because he is a career back-up. I guess it depends on what spin you put on things.

+1

The things that are "worrying" about Price were not "worrying" about Halak because he was in Hamilton and

the fanbase didn't see when he gave up 5 goals to the Rochester Americans or 4 goals to the Abbotsford Heat.

Let's pick up the debate when Price is 25 years old.

Edited by Wamsley01

Like BTH and Wamsley, I am baffled by all the negativity. Honestly, I thought he'd make significantly over $5 mil per on the open market. Considering the Montreal tax stuff, he's probably underpaid.

There is an element of risk here because of his 39-point regression two years ago. But I don't buy all the "he chokes in the clutch" stuff. They say that about practically EVERY young player learning how to succeed in the post-season. They said it about Datsyuk for a couple of years. People are forgetting that he played injured, has been on a learning curve, played without adequate wingers for much of the stretch/playoffs, and is only now entering his prime (which is typical of fans' attitudes toward players that come up through the system - Pleks is only turning 28 but he seems to have been around forever). If he continues to play as he did this season that will be a good contract. If his game continues to develop it will be a really good contract. This is a sensible GMing move and instead of freaking out Habs fans should be happy the team has locked up this hard-working and exciting forward for his prime years - just as we did with Cammallerri. Solid stuff.

Amen. I'm very happy we still have Pleks and will have him for some years to come. :clap:

I loved what Halak did too, but we had a situation and the hockey brains had to make a decision.

You know instead of Pleks better have good seasons, why isn't it, hey Gomez play up to your damn salary? Why will Plek be the lightning rod for the next few seasons and not the giant elephant in the room Gomez?

That being said, I agree, Plek has his deal, he has to at least maintain his play if not do more to prove all the naysayers they were wrong about him.

Edited by bar

You know instead of Pleks better have good seasons, why isn't it, hey Gomez play up to your damn salary? Why will Plek be the lightning rod for the next few seasons and not the giant elephant in the room Gomez?

That being said, I agree, Plek has his deal, he has to at least maintain his play if not do more to prove all the naysayers they were wrong about him.

I guess because Gomez has a couple Stanley cup rings and was one of about three or four guys that actually looked like he was trying in the philly series.

Given that Pleks is not overpaid - if anything he is UNDERpaid - it would be absolutely bizarre for him to become the whipping boy.

(As for Gomez, he is obviously overpaid but a lot of fans also seem to have chosen to be blinded by dollars signs and totally ignore his many excellent qualities: blinding speed, excellent rushes, outstanding playmaking, leadership.)

I find it interesting that the overall tone on French-language blogs and online posts is vastly more positive about the Pleks signing than English-language posts. What's with that?

I like pleks, but this signing has really drained the bank...long term cost w/no trade clause...wondering if they made a move for Horton and needed to land Pleks afterwards...He had a very good last year....he battled....but we're real small up front and the blue line has some holes...

all said, not sure there was another move...Hopefully Lars, Pacs and/or Trotts can contribute next year too!

I guess because Gomez has a couple Stanley cup rings and was one of about three or four guys that actually looked like he was trying in the philly series.

I like Gomez game, and I realize he does more than can be seen on the scoresheet, I'm just saying Gomez needs to step up his numbers to get all the contract number jumpers off his back.

I sort of feel too many are thinking we'd be better of with Marleau at 7m a year than Plek at 5m? Whats the knock on Marleau? He disappears in the playoffs...Plek was not the only one that had a terrible Philly series. The criticism seems largely unfounded.

Edited by bar

Age or NHL experience? Halak keeps getting better with NHL experience, Price has not gotten better with age. I am not convinced that 2 years of age is any more of an advantage then all the early breaks Price got.. How good might Halak be when he hits 200 games played?

In any case, I am sure which goalie will turn out better, but I had hoped they would have found a way to hedge their bets before deciding.

As for Pleks, I don't care how much some one else would have paid him, we are the ones stuck with him for 5 years when we already have Gomez. I am just not convinced this is the core we need to get to the top, and I don't see muc flexibility left to improve it. If Pleks doesn't work out, he is untradeable, just like Gomez.

+1

The things that are "worrying" about Price were not "worrying" about Halak because he was in Hamilton and

the fanbase didn't see when he gave up 5 goals to the Rochester Americans or 4 goals to the Abbotsford Heat.

Let's pick up the debate when Price is 25 years old.

I would have agreed with you, but Marleau didn't dissappear this year. He seems to be making progress and is a better fit with gomez then Pleks is.

Hell, I would have taken Pleks and Marleau, but that had zero chance of happening.

I like Gomez game, and I realize he does more than can be seen on the scoresheet, I'm just saying Gomez needs to step up his numbers to get all the contract number jumpers off his back.

I sort of feel too many are thinking we'd be better of with Marleau at 7m a year than Plek at 5m? Whats the knock on Marleau? He disappears in the playoffs...Plek was not the only one that had a terrible Philly series. The criticism seems largely unfounded.

Cammy had a terrible series against Philly..should we trade him? Gionta...Subban...you're basing this on one series where the entire team played bad, it seems silly to me.

You're giving Marleau a pass after ONE good playoffs and tons of bad ones, yet in the same breath saying Plek only had one good year, isn't that a bit of double talk?

Though in hindsight, I can relate to you Brobin, because if the habs had of resigned Halak for over $3m a year I'd be on the boards full of piss and vinegar too haha.

Edited by bar

Cammy had a terrible series against Philly..should we trade him? Gionta...Subban...you're basing this on one series where the entire team played bad, it seems silly to me.

You're giving Marleau a pass after ONE good playoffs and tons of bad ones, yet in the same breath saying Plek only had one good year, isn't that a bit of double talk?

I see your point, but with Marleau he always had the regular season production, and his only knock was playoff performance. Plek on the other hand has been hit and miss, up and down, his entire (brief) career. I would have probably preferred Marleau, but I like the Plek deal because worst case we end up overpaying him by 1-1.5M a year, where as best case he turns into a PPG, Selke winner and is a great bargain for years. You don't make good deals without a certain element of risk.

I like pleks, but this signing has really drained the bank...long term cost w/no trade clause...wondering if they made a move for Horton and needed to land Pleks afterwards...He had a very good last year....he battled....but we're real small up front and the blue line has some holes...

all said, not sure there was another move...Hopefully Lars, Pacs and/or Trotts can contribute next year too!

Every team is overtaxed on their core.

In order to have a consistent contender a team needs to identify it's backbone and build around that.

All the other players become interchangeable around that foundation. So the core that is getting paid

right now needs to lead the value based assets like Subban, Price, Eller etc. When those players mature

and need their payday, the process turns over again and Subban, Price, Eller get their money and the

new generation of cheap young players replaces the veteran core right now.

That is why it is essential to draft well every season.

Every good team is going to encounter cap issues, it is the way the NHL gets parity.

I like Plekanec as a player, I like the cap hit per year, but I'm on the fence about the length of the contract. It could turn out to be a really good deal or a really bad deal, as any long term contract could be. On one hand I'm glad that we don't have any question marks at center going into July 1 but on the other I had some blind faith that we somehow would go in a different direction and magically acquire a big body up the middle. But now that it`s a done deal, this is our core for the next half-decade. Now we NEED a big, banging winger on one of the top lines! Hopefully Gauthier can swing a deal involving AK and a pick for this type of player. Wonder what it would take to pry Callahan out of NY..?

I find it interesting that the overall tone on French-language blogs and online posts is vastly more positive about the Pleks signing than English-language posts. What's with that?

The French press seem to get it right for the most part, they're just too biased toward francophones. The English press (the Gazette, English fans) tend to be the type that complain about every move management makes, I suppose because during the Houle era they warmed up to the idea that NHL managers are just fans in suits. I don't get that from RDS. They seem to have less emotional attachment to players like Plekanec and Halak and are able to look at this sort of thing more objectively.

Maybe it's just coincidental that RDS has better staff than the Gazette does. At the end of the day, English or French, the average hockey fan knows just about nothing about hockey (same for most topics, I suppose) - and yet so many of these average fans (and with journalists like Jack Todd around, the line between fan and professional blurs) feel so passionately about decisions that, more often than not, they completely fail to understand.

I see it more with this fan base than any other: the common belief that fans know just as well as management, if not better. So sad.