Habs select US Defenseman Jarred Tinordi

TheDriveFor25

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birth...e=&state=MN

I think it's fair to say that Minnesota is a hockey hot-bed...

Leopold

Sauer

Martin

Ballard

Byfuglien

Parise

Backes

E. Johnson

Okposo

Mueller

Wheeler

Langenbrunner

Cullen

Hedican

Blake

Those may not all be superstars but that's quite a few active NHLers...and there are enough very good players there to show why it's a heavily scouted market. That's by no means the complete list as the link shows...in fact, I'd be willing to bet that most US born NHLers are from Minnesota by a large margin. It's a small state, easy to scout, has a lot of pedigree, a high level of competition, good coaching, etc...their best US scouts likely work this market and therefore likely carry some "sway" internally.

You misunderstand me...I'm not knocking US born players, it's just the Habs are having some bad luck with drafting them in the early rounds.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid is huge he is the captain of the best US-18 they had, he wull surely

be a candidate for the next World Junior because he is already in the system.

So for him he will have plenty of experience even if he stays in University Program.

will get a better shape and health experts than sitting his 6.6 in bus all over the Western Canada.

Notre Dame is all about defense, i prefer a guy who will master defense than a big guy trying

to do a little bit of everything ala O'byrne.

Master defense and dads slap shot would be more than ok for a 26th expected.

I found this interview with Tinordi, from June 1st, thanks to The Pipeline Show. It's a hockey prospect's radio show out of Edmonton. I've also read that Tinordi's CHL rights are owned by London, so there's a chance he could play there in the fall, or the following fall if college doesn't work out.

I thought it was interesting that during Tinordi's TSN interview that he thought he could be ready in around 3 years, so he much either be leaning towards his college committment or he thinks he needs that much more time for developing.

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips/seaso...nordi_June1.mp3

I'm pretty excited about this kid. He can be a leader and can add another aspect to the Habs line-up, when he is ready to make the jump to he NHL. Probably 3-5 years.

Ok, TSN has him at 6'6.

He is at least 6'5 and, according to his father, closer to 215. I guess that he will be 6'6 and 230 when he will be NHL ready, hopefully in two or three years (that's his goal, obviously, from what he said to TSN).

Edited by JCPetit

this really sucks.

i mean - had the Habs lost in the 1st round, they could have had Tinordi AND kept their 2nd round pick!

another lost asset :(

stupid nearly-successful playoff run. what a waste.

Nope, Vancouver was taking him at 25 had he still been available (which would have changed the Ballard deal a bit). If everyone else knew this, I'm sure the Habs did too which likely precipitated the trade. I'm happy with the pick, would've preferred getting a 3rd back instead of a 4th but considering a lot of the teams who moved up didn't get an extra later pick back, it could be much worse.

Let's just hope the refs give our "Pronger" the same leniency when the time comes.

Nope, Vancouver was taking him at 25 had he still been available (which would have changed the Ballard deal a bit). If everyone else knew this, I'm sure the Habs did too which likely precipitated the trade. I'm happy with the pick, would've preferred getting a 3rd back instead of a 4th but considering a lot of the teams who moved up didn't get an extra later pick back, it could be much worse.

not to mention Buffalo at 23 wanted him.

I hope you're kidding.

Off course he is.

And Brian, Revvv meant that if we would have lost to the Caps, our pick would have been high enough to pick him + not trade up so keep our 2nd.

this really sucks.

i mean - had the Habs lost in the 1st round, they could have had Tinordi AND kept their 2nd round pick!

another lost asset :(

stupid nearly-successful playoff run. what a waste.

Ya. but look at those dummies who won the cup! Hate to be in their position. The idiots! What were they thinking? :lol:

Boy, I'm really excited about this pick. The problem is, as soon as I heard his name, I thought of his father, and that's putting the bar very high. For those of you who didn't see his father play, he is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest, seriously) player I have ever seen play (in 23 years of dedicated hockey watching!).

Here's a sample:

After a good 30 seconds of Tinordi and Smith throwing bombs at each other the announcer goes: "and for those of you who are a bit faint of heart, I remind you, Mark Tinordi has a broken nose... but no fear whatsoever".

If the apple didn't fall too far from the tree there, Jarred will be amazing with Subban. Very exciting!

Montreal should have also traded for another pick in the top 10 and get another big D.

Considering no team traded into the top-10, I'd be curious to see how you expect the Habs to have traded into that range without using the 27th pick. In a cap era, that's quite difficult to accomplish.

Considering no team traded into the top-10, I'd be curious to see how you expect the Habs to have traded into that range without using the 27th pick. In a cap era, that's quite difficult to accomplish.

With the departure of Horton I think that florida would do well with both AK and SK in exchange for their pick. I'm not really sure abiout how much the brass values the Kostitsyn bros, but I would definitely pull the trigger.

With the departure of Horton I think that florida would do well with both AK and SK in exchange for their pick. I'm not really sure abiout how much the brass values the Kostitsyn bros, but I would definitely pull the trigger.

I would too if I were the Habs but surely not if I was the Panthers. They're clearing cap space (such as Ballard and Horton), it'd make no sense for them to turn around and give away the pick that they just got (which wasn't a top-10 one by the way) for a pair of underachieving forwards.

Pierre McGuire said Tinordi is the best player the Habs have drafted in the last 10 years :clap:

McGuire sure is annoying, but he knows his hockey very well

Pierre McGuire said Tinordi is the best player the Habs have drafted in the last 10 years :clap:

McGuire sure is annoying, but he knows his hockey very well

He's also easily excitable. I remember last year he said that Pascal Leclaire was the best goalie the Sens had ever had.

Hyperbole = Pierre Maguire.

Yea, but in this case he may be correct, i am not saying he was the best pick in years but that move was an excellent pick. Big, mobile, physical dman who is a captain most everywhere he has been.

This by all reports weak draft after the top 15-20 picks. A few teams took flyers on players which allowed the habs to move up and get him.

I expect he'll be a very good player for a long time, hopefully he has a mean streak like his dad.

Yea, but in this case he may be correct, i am not saying he was the best pick in years but that move was an excellent pick. Big, mobile, physical dman who is a captain most everywhere he has been.

This by all reports weak draft after the top 15-20 picks. A few teams took flyers on players which allowed the habs to move up and get him.

I expect he'll be a very good player for a long time, hopefully he has a mean streak like his dad.

Yep

Habs really adressed a need

With the aging/inconsistent D-men (Hammer, Space) and the lack of size, he will be a welcome addition

Of course, Komi and O'Byrne were considered big, mobile d-men when drafted. I'll wait to comment on Tinordi's mobility until I see him play. :lol:

I do like that reportedly at least 2 teams after #21 went had him as their top pick left. Consensus is hard to find at that point in the draft.

That being said, I'm suspicious he's that much better than everyone else left in the draft that he was worth sacrificing a 2nd rounder for. I mean, Phoenix took that Niagara goalie that no one thought would ever get picked in the first round. Just shows how little difference there was between all these players.

Of course, Komi and O'Byrne were considered big, mobile d-men when drafted. I'll wait to comment on Tinordi's mobility until I see him play. :lol:

I do like that reportedly at least 2 teams after #21 went had him as their top pick left. Consensus is hard to find at that point in the draft.

That being said, I'm suspicious he's that much better than everyone else left in the draft that he was worth sacrificing a 2nd rounder for. I mean, Phoenix took that Niagara goalie that no one thought would ever get picked in the first round. Just shows how little difference there was between all these players.

ya, a 2nd rounder is tough to give up, but hey you never know. he was sought after at the lower end of the draft.