Habs select US Defenseman Jarred Tinordi

TheDriveFor25

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT PICK!!

I was hoping they'd trade up into the teens and get him.

AWESOME!

I second that!!! His father was a good player, tough as they come...

I don't wanna be negative...it just seems...another first round...no impact for 3-4 year player.

I just wish the habs would draft a player closer to the NHL heh.

The "experts" expect him to be 6"6 and 240lbs when he plays in the NHL.. that is SOLID!

Love the pick!

And he was one pick away from getting scooped up by Buffalo.. great job by the brass!

i just have this bad feeling about another US D .. he better go to junior and get some real competition.. I hope he isn't slow!

No wonder they fired half the scouting staff.. they only need one... in Minny... :)

Every year we're whooping with optimism about the Habs pick. And every year we're simultaneously griping about the Habs' weak results in the first round ^_^ So I'll refrain from any real reaction, other than to say he has impeccable bloodlines and is an absolute hulk, which seems promising.

(The only year I can remember real outrage over the pick was the Price year. And in retrospect that probably wasn't the greatest use of the pick either - which is not to slag Price, who I like, just to say that we probably would have been OK in net without Price, so the choice could have been better spent in retrospect).

Every year we're whooping with optimism about the Habs pick. And every year we're simultaneously griping about the Habs' weak results in the first round ^_^ So I'll refrain from any real reaction, other than to say he has impeccable bloodlines and is an absolute hulk, which seems promising.

(The only year I can remember real outrage over the pick was the Price year. And in retrospect that probably wasn't the greatest use of the pick either - which is not to slag Price, who I like, just to say that we probably would have been OK in net without Price, so the choice could have been better spent in retrospect).

The Akost pick in retrospect looks bad with the other players that were available.

Edited by bar

So people expected a pick this late in the 1st that would step into the Habs lineup? Please. I'm happy with the player selected with the pick. Not terribly thrilled with dumping the 2nd rounder to do it.

I don't wanna be negative...it just seems...another first round...no impact for 3-4 year player.

I just wish the habs would draft a player closer to the NHL heh.

Um... We weren't picking in the top 5...

This guy looks legit and he said himself he wanted to be here in 3 years. Just the fact that management moved up to get him show they believe this guy has got it. He's praised for his leadership skills (he captains what they say is the best U-18 US team ever) and has the ability to make a good first pass and is a surprisingly smooth skater. Add that to his bone crushing size (which he regularly uses to crush bones), and I think we have a player who we can be excited for in a couple years.

Edited by ForumGhost

I really like this pick. A big solid d-man who can skate and make a good first pass!

I'm happy with this pick. Let's hope he'll play with the Habs within 3-4 years!

Um... We weren't picking in the top 5...

This guy looks legit and he said himself he wanted to be here in 3 years. Just the fact that management moved up to get him show they believe this guy has got it. He's praised for his leadership skills (he captains what they say is the best U-18 US team ever) and has the ability to make a good first pass and is a surprisingly smooth skater. Add that to his bone crushing size (which he regularly uses to crush bones), and I think we have a player who we can be excited for in a couple years.

I'm not expecting a pick to get into the lineup next season, but this just reeks of past US born player picks....I liked that McFarlane kid.

Edit: I cannot spell.

Edited by bar

I'm not expecting a pick to get into the lineup next season, but this just reeks of past US born player picks....I liked that McFarlane kid.

I thought Etem would have been a good pick.

this really sucks.

i mean - had the Habs lost in the 1st round, they could have had Tinordi AND kept their 2nd round pick!

another lost asset :(

stupid nearly-successful playoff run. what a waste.

The Akost pick in retrospect looks bad with the other players that were available.

Hindsight is too easy...he was a top 6 talent who slid to the Habs at #11 (IIRC) and it was all because of concerns over a seizure...which has never been a problem for him.

You can only evaluate a decision in the context that it was made and with the facts available at the time. The consensus from scouts (internal and external) was that if he stayed healthy he was a steal. If your decisions were evaluated based on the same hindsight then you'd look bad too.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birth...e=&state=MN

I think it's fair to say that Minnesota is a hockey hot-bed...

Leopold

Sauer

Martin

Ballard

Byfuglien

Parise

Backes

E. Johnson

Okposo

Mueller

Wheeler

Langenbrunner

Cullen

Hedican

Blake

Those may not all be superstars but that's quite a few active NHLers...and there are enough very good players there to show why it's a heavily scouted market. That's by no means the complete list as the link shows...in fact, I'd be willing to bet that most US born NHLers are from Minnesota by a large margin. It's a small state, easy to scout, has a lot of pedigree, a high level of competition, good coaching, etc...their best US scouts likely work this market and therefore likely carry some "sway" internally.

Tinordi is from North Dakota, and his dad is Canadian.

At least he was with the USNTDP program playing Jr. A hockey. I'm really sick of the high school guys.

But oh man, Etem was available. That kid is exciting.

Hopefully he makes the NHL. That's really all you can ask for from a 22nd overall pick.

The draft is littered with hulking blueliners drafted in the first round that bust. So you just hope you picked one of the good ones.

The draft is littered with hulking blueliners drafted in the first round that bust. So you just hope you picked one of the good ones.

I don't have a problem with the pick. What does the rest of the draft look like if you are a Canadiens fan. It appears to be pretty grim. There must be a trade in the works or this could go down as one of the poorest drafts in Canadiens history. It is well recognized that teams have to build through the draft to be successful. The Canadiens have flittered away too many picks for my liking. WAY TOO MANY.