Anti-Maple Leafs Thread

Cataclaw

I like Grabovski's game. Always did. But please, can someone explain to me the sense in signing him for five years at over $5.5 mil per??? Am I missing something? :tigi:

Grabbo's deal is 8.5% of the cap. 8.5% in 05-06 = 3.31m. In 06-07 = 3.74m. 07-08 = 4.27m. 08-09 = 4.81m. 09-10 = 4.82m. 10-11 = 5.04m

when you look at it in terms of % of the cap, the deal is really good to be honest.

I wouldn't put 8.5 percent of my cap on Grabs...

In better news, Leafs lose again. They are lining up to miss the playoffs, but not get a great draft pick. They used those two bad years to bolster the Bruins.

when you look at it in terms of % of the cap, the deal is really good to be honest.

$4.27M in 07/08 for a player was first line/top free agent money. Jason Blake took up $4M per season in 07/08 because he scored 40 goals the season before and got top money by the Leafs for it.

Grabbo's deal is 8.5% of the cap. 8.5% in 05-06 = 3.31m. In 06-07 = 3.74m. 07-08 = 4.27m. 08-09 = 4.81m. 09-10 = 4.82m. 10-11 = 5.04m

Hmm. You make a point. We don't hear this metric - % of cap - often enough. It's the only figure that really matters in cap management, after all.

The Leafs are really something...it's easy to pile on, and I don't think it's good karma to do anyway. But they really are the Chicago Cubs of Canada.

Don't remember this post. So damn drunk for a monday night...

lol, I wondered if you were when I saw that it was in french. :)

lol, I wondered if you were when I saw that it was in french. :)

haha. It was the first real day of sun for a drink on the terrace in Montréal. I went all-in on it.

The good thing about social medias or message boards when you're drunk is that they remind you about what time you got home by displaying the hour of a post.

haha

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391171

Funny little article.

Whats funny to me is that all the posters on here are not and never will be a GM in the NHL , yet they all have it figuired out. SO easy to sit back and have 20/20 vision when you arent involved in any way at all. The two first and a second for Kessel was well worth it...had the team not floppped and finished in 29th spot...and lets be honest..NOBODY saw that happening...if those picks were ten and ups...Burke wins the trade...Franson and Lombardi for nothing ..win...got boston to take Kabs and got a ton in return ..win...Marlies retocked and poised to make a run at the Calder...win...Lupol and Gardiner for Beauchimin....EPIC WIN....got the sharks to take blakes contract ...win...to rid of Stagan and myers...*lets be honest everyone was calling for stagans head*...win..got Phaneuf in exchange as well as Aulie..*now Carter*...win...YUP...hes done nothing...Sit back..beak away and wish you were a GM and make sure you put your resumes in ..im sure you will all get a call and a chance to PROVE how good you are at being GM. Good luck to all of you. Cheers. icon_report_off.gif

Much more fun comment.

First, nobody saw the Leafs at 29th? Why do I continue to hear this? I remember everyone EXCEPT Leaf fans calling them bottom five. Lombardi was a cap dump and now the Leafs have to pay him and Connolly $8M+ next year. Not much of a win. Ducks took Blake, not the Sharks. So much fail in that comment. No wonder it's the center of the universe. Brains are black holes.

Bottom line

JFJ's record > Burkes

3.75 seasons each.

1 playoff appearance and series win vs 0.

1 bottom 10 finish vs 3

1 finish where they missed playoffs on very last day of season vs 0 times actually having a chance.

Bottom line

JFJ's record > Burkes

3.75 seasons each.

1 playoff appearance and series win vs 0.

1 bottom 10 finish vs 3

1 finish where they missed playoffs on very last day of season vs 0 times actually having a chance.

Is it not universally agreed that JFJ handed Burke a shit team?

Is it not universally agreed that JFJ handed Burke a shit team?

nearly 4 years into what burke said "will not be a 5 year rebuild" the team's record is worse than the team JFJ left. This will be the 4th april burke watches his team miss playoffs, and the spot in the standings is not improving.

nearly 4 years into what burke said "will not be a 5 year rebuild" the team's record is worse than the team JFJ left. This will be the 4th april burke watches his team miss playoffs, and the spot in the standings is not improving.

I understand that, but it's not like Burke was handed a lot to work with in the first place.

I understand that, but it's not like Burke was handed a lot to work with in the first place.

After 4 years he has the same problems though, no Number 1 goalie, no Number 1 Centre, no Number 1 defenceman (sorry but Dion is a #2 or 3 at best), you'd think that after 4 years hed fill one of those spots. His team also doesn't exactly subscribe to a top 6/bottom 6 philosophy he speaks of, nor do they excude belligerence, truculence and testosterone as he said they would. The blowhard has been an unmitigated failure in his tenure to date.

Burke has made a lot of great trades, no question about it. Most of his deals on paper have been pretty decent. However, Burke has also not addressed the real issues with the team and as Cybulski mentioned, he never actually made the team much tougher.

One of the great things Cybulski mentioned was the Sundin issue. I've harped forever that Burke's Leafs lack veterans. Having Sundin still on the team would be a lot like in Ottawa where Alfredsson is the heart and soul of the team and the youngsters get to grow around him. It goes without saying that Toronto would had much better results with Sundin than without.

The biggest difference when it comes to JFJ and Burke is that JFJ was just the puppet of Richard Peddie. He was put under considerable pressure to make moves by Peddie without any time to consider it. Burke has been given 100 per cent control over the team and the results are the same despite a better team on paper. The fact that for the past three seasons, the Leafs will look average for one third of the year, great for another third and then have a complete fall apart in another third. This is due to no veteran support, average goaltending, overrated defence and an unpredictable top six backed by one of the worst penalty killing units in the league.

JFJ doesn't deserve full criticism. Burke does.