Anti-Maple Leafs Thread

Cataclaw

• 4 weeks later...

It's a stumper. True, Burke has failed to deliver, but the timing of this move seems puzzling. If you were gonna fire him, shouldn't you have done it right after last season? Give the new guy time to make a few moves and settle in with the organization (rather like the Habs did)? Now the team will be in organizational disarray in the midst of a shortened season. Hell, given that Burke made a number of moves and that the Leafs did quite well for the first half of last season before collapsing - possibly a sign of a team that is on the verge of getting it together to move to the next level - it would have been far more sensible to let this abbreviated season play out before coming to a definitive assessment of the Burke Years.

Maybe they'll surprise us with a brilliant hiring who will right the ship. But at face value this just seems like more confusion from an organization whose moves generally appear to have more to do with internal politics than hockey sense.

Imagine the media frenzy if they hire Pierre McGuire though!!

Nonis looked like he was kicked in the nuts...

Lots of people are saying that...without fully appreciating how difficult a position Nonis is in, having basically stolen his mentor's job. I'd be ecstatic for myself and deeply miserable for it being on Burke's back.

Don't follow the Leafs closely. In many ways, being in Montreal, the Leafs are just another team that never wins. Especially if you watch RDS. But I must say, a meddling ownership group in Toronto puts a smile on my face.

Gauthier had 1 bad year and the media frensy was on. How Brainiac lasted this long, shitty year after shitty year, seemed odd?

Also, why he was ever considered a good GM i still dont see it? Canucks surely dont miss him.

As a Hab fan i am sorry to see him leave, he seemed a perfect fit for arrogance central.

Now they just have to hire Doug McLean, MIlbury or McGuire to ensure our favourite gong show continues.

Gauthier had 1 bad year and the media frensy was on. How Brainiac lasted this long, shitty year after shitty year, seemed odd?

Also, why he was ever considered a good GM i still dont see it? Canucks surely dont miss him.

As a Hab fan i am sorry to see him leave, he seemed a perfect fit for arrogance central.

Now they just have to hire Doug McLean, MIlbury or McGuire to ensure our favourite gong show continues.

Well, Nonis is their guy. He may prove to be no more than competent, but he will not be inept.

Burke made his rep when he won the Cup in Anaheim after having overseen the Canucks' emergence as a powerhouse. Rather like Gainey, he seems to have ascended to the big chair in a big market after his prime years as GM were over.

EDIT: one thing to add is that Burke showed great character in his staunch support for his (tragically) late son and his adamant rejection of hockey's prevalent homophobic culture. Whatever you say about him, he will always have my respect as a stand-up guy for that.

Well, Nonis is their guy. He may prove to be no more than competent, but he will not be inept.

Burke made his rep when he won the Cup in Anaheim after having overseen the Canucks' emergence as a powerhouse. Rather like Gainey, he seems to have ascended to the big chair in a big market after his prime years as GM were over.

EDIT: one thing to add is that Burke showed great character in his staunch support for his (tragically) late son and his adamant rejection of hockey's prevalent homophobic culture. Whatever you say about him, he will always have my respect as a stand-up guy for that.

He won with a Duck team he inherited. Powerhouses normally win more than 1 round of playoffs, Naslund-Bertuzzi never saw a 3rd round!

With Canucks Burke missed playoffs twice, lost 1st round 3 times, lost 2nd round once and Canucks missed playoffs again the year after he was punted; not quite a powerhouse record is it!

Nonis may be an upgrade; but Pierre Gauthier would be also.

He won with a Duck team he inherited. Powerhouses normally win more than 1 round of playoffs, Naslund-Bertuzzi never saw a 3rd round!

With Canucks Burke missed playoffs twice, lost 1st round 3 times, lost 2nd round once and Canucks missed playoffs again the year after he was punted; not quite a powerhouse record is it!

Nonis reminds me of the gainey to Gauthier move... Too little change. I am guessing Nonis is gone in 18 months and they clean house like we did.

One of the ironies of Burke's tenure is that his inability to address goaltending problems proved fatal in both Vancouver and TO. He reminds me of Bobby Clarke in that respect - for some reason, just chronically unable to find a netminder.

I was trying to explain why Burke had a rep as a stud general manager, not saying he was some kind of genius in his heyday. He did, however, do a pretty good job of turning the Canucks organization around. His drafting of the Twins and his patient development of them showed real vision. And yeah, he inherited the Ducks - from Pierre Gauthier no less! - but nevertheless was the man at the helm when they won. He was no Sam Pollock, but I think his track record warranted respect. Not the fawning adulation he got in TO, certainly, but respect.

One of the ironies of Burke's tenure is that his inability to address goaltending problems proved fatal in both Vancouver and TO. He reminds me of Bobby Clarke in that respect - for some reason, just chronically unable to find a netminder.

I was trying to explain why Burke had a rep as a stud general manager, not saying he was some kind of genius in his heyday. He did, however, do a pretty good job of turning the Canucks organization around. His drafting of the Twins and his patient development of them showed real vision. And yeah, he inherited the Ducks - from Pierre Gauthier no less! - but nevertheless was the man at the helm when they won. He was no Sam Pollock, but I think his track record warranted respect. Not the fawning adulation he got in TO, certainly, but respect.

Sure, not saying he is super bad, but still more pompasness than anything else and am just glad he is not running the Habs. Sorry, got little respect for his hockey savvy and his need to be rantin in front of a camera as much as the other 29 GMs combined.

Lots of people are saying that...without fully appreciating how difficult a position Nonis is in, having basically stolen his mentor's job. I'd be ecstatic for myself and deeply miserable for it being on Burke's back.

This is the 2nd time he's stolen his mentor's job.

• 2 weeks later...

After picking their roster yesterday, here is Burke's legacy.

The Leafs have more "dead money" and "dead cap space" than the Habs, and that includes paying Gomez his full salary of 5.5 million this year and taking the 6.4 cap hit.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/01/19/brian-burkes-legacy-leafs-paying-big-money-on-failed-acquisitions/

I made this video after making the 1st one featuring the Leafers & Habs. So many of my FB friends & work friends wanted more. I got sort of a mini fanbase out of them. In having to use all 30 teams, some teams got the rotten end of the stick that don't deserve this. So, while you might not like some of the suggestions & you may feel offended by some of the choices, please just take it in jest.

I posted in this thread due to the Habs & Leafers were the main inspiration for this video.

Moving Kessel makes no sense at all. What return could the leafers possibly hope for? Kessel is all ready a trade disaster with Seguin & Hamilton. What is the headline going to be when they move him? Double disaster? :P Leafers in spite of their new direction should live with Kessel & look elsewhere on the roster to improve their needs. Kessel is known for lack of intensity & his lack of determination to go into the dirty areas but the Blew & White have to live with it IMO. Kulimen, Grabovski or Captain Rockstar, why not look at them?