Anti-Maple Leafs Thread

Cataclaw

Is it true that Phaneuf wants a 7-8 year deal worth over 7M a year?

He averages 45points/season, gets the odd big hit, is a bit shakey defensively but good all-round, so $6 isn't crazy, but some team may pay $7 for him. He would be almost a #1 d-man on some weak teams (like his hometown Edmonton).

Is it true that Phaneuf wants a 7-8 year deal worth over 7M a year?

He's getting $6.5 M now and given that he'll be the top UFA D on the market (or close to it), it's safe to assume he'd be looking for a raise to forego testing the market.

So after mustering up just 18 shots against a Columbus squad that was missing several key players, the Leafs last night failed to record a shot in the third period...or overtime against Pittsburgh. They blew a 4-1 lead and lost 6-5 in the shootout. It marks the first time in 373 games this season that a team didn't record a third period shot. Ouch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nonis learned from the best!

I wonder if Vegas still has Leafs as more likely cup winner than Habs?

Just too funny an organization and teams they come up with, after 46 years you would think someone might say, maybe we should build through draft and have some patience?

They will haul in a ton of cash no matter what, so stakeholders could care less.

Oh well, makes me smile and my "Price Hating" rabid leaf fan neighbour, I almost feel sorry for and I 'almost' cant toss a sarcastic comment his way daily.

I wonder if Vegas still has Leafs as more likely cup winner than Habs?

I get e-mailed a list of a whole bunch of Bodog odds from a sports publicist (I've no idea why either). The Leafs went from 20/1 to 28/1, the Habs have stayed at 25/1 as of Monday.

It is so much fun to watch the Laffs perfect their usual swan dive into the bottomless pit of losers.

Sure puts a smile on my face, I even pull for Bruins to win when they match-up!

Ha ha, I too will always pick Boston over TO. It's a bit like choosing typhoid over cholera, but in a crunch it's the Bruins for me.

I'm admittedly surprised - I thought for sure the Leafs would step up to "good team" status this season, despite all the statistical evidence that they were something of a mirage last year. Oh well, happy to be proven wrong on this one ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to figure out which is preferable - the Leafs miss the playoffs or they keep Carlyle. I doubt both would happen (although there's a chance).

Might as well take the sure gratification. They're in the midst of an epic collapse.

ANOTHER epic collapse :shocked: What would that be, four years in a row of some sort of incredible breakdown, either in the second half or in the first round????

I don't believe that they will miss the playoffs, because I just think the odds of a streak like that are too remote. Or maybe I'm afraid of jinxing something sooo sweet! :youpi: Between the Sens AND Leafs missing the dance, ya could hardly ask for more short of Chara and Lucic crashing into each other and breaking each others' legs while falling on top of a back-spasming Brad Marchand.

I now believe they are missing it.

Toronto has played more games than Detroit, Columbus and Washington. They are riding a six game losing streak with no real way of looking to turn it around. They are playing the Flyers and Wings later in the week, the Wings being the team that sparked their downward spiral. Both Columbus and Detroit currently have 10 games to play compared to Toronto's eight.

Columbus deserves a playoff spot. They have 37 wins. They are likely going to break 40. It would be disappointing for them to break 40 wins and not make the playoffs compared to the Red Wings who have relied on the OT loser point. The Hurricanes are nowhere near a playoff spot with 31 wins while the Red Wings are sitting in a wildcard with 33. It's BS in my mind.

Philadelphia, Detroit, Calgary, Boston, Winnipeg. They need three wins, one against the Red Wings if they want to make the playoffs. Winnipeg and Calgary are possibilities. Philly, Boston and Detroit are the challenges. I don't see them doing it. The Capitals have it tough against the Bruins next but then meet the Stars, Predators, Devils and Islanders. Even with Backstrom hurt they could nearly lock a spot with a good run there. Detroit has to run a gauntlet of the division: Montreal, Toronto, Tampa, Boston and Buffalo. I'm hoping the Atlantic division is unmerciful to them.

Rock em-Sock em Philly!

Are beating smogtown team 2-1, Go Giroux Go!

With the funky beard, Couturier really is going for the Voyageur look I guess?

Giroux does score, make it 3-1 Philly and Leaf defense is just horrible, one scoring chance after another..poor Bernier.