What a bung-hole!

Another spin on this is the general western redneck opinion of Quebcois. I am from Western Canada, and I can tell you that when I tell people about how Montreal is my favourite Canadian city, over Vancouver, I get the same crap every time. "Ya, once you learn French! If you don't speak French, they won't even talk to you, even though they know English!" or "Ya but all those guys are rude and arrogant!" You would not believe the ignorrance I hear from people here. I can personollay say that, while I understand a bit of French, it is almost impossible for me to comunicate in French, unless the other person has the time to slow down and speak with me. I didn't speak French with anyone there, and I can safely say that Montreal is a Great city. It is social, I feel safe there, and it is very beautiful. I never once felt out of place. St Katherines is a busy street. If you walk in Granville street, Yonge street, or Whyte Ave, I guarantee you won't feel as safe as St. Katherines. That may be a false sense, but I really felt that way. Shopping and dining was the same. A lot of very friendly, open and genuine people, willing to have a great conversation with you. And it does not have the big box sameness that I have seen in every other north american city I have ever been.

I agree! After the UFC recently in Montreal...the fans sprawled out onto the streets...everyone was cheering and singing. The city was alive...I never felt like oh noes, I'm in a bad part of the city. I had so much fun in Montreal, I'd love to live there. I speak barely any french and I got by with no problems. I'm from out east in Halifax and really everyone was so helpful with directions, advice on restaurants and clubs. I never would think not knowing french would hold me back.

I went to Montreal in the dead of winter, and the city was incredibly alive. Out here, people stay indoors as much as possible. In Montreal, they have a rave by the docks.

Anyone who thinks Montreal isn't the best city in the country needs their head examined.

Another spin on this is the general western redneck opinion of Quebcois. I am from Western Canada, and I can tell you that when I tell people about how Montreal is my favourite Canadian city, over Vancouver, I get the same crap every time. "Ya, once you learn French! If you don't speak French, they won't even talk to you, even though they know English!" or "Ya but all those guys are rude and arrogant!" You would not believe the ignorrance I hear from people here. I can personollay say that, while I understand a bit of French, it is almost impossible for me to comunicate in French, unless the other person has the time to slow down and speak with me. I didn't speak French with anyone there, and I can safely say that Montreal is a Great city. It is social, I feel safe there, and it is very beautiful. I never once felt out of place. St Katherines is a busy street. If you walk in Granville street, Yonge street, or Whyte Ave, I guarantee you won't feel as safe as St. Katherines. That may be a false sense, but I really felt that way. Shopping and dining was the same. A lot of very friendly, open and genuine people, willing to have a great conversation with you. And it does not have the big box sameness that I have seen in every other north american city I have ever been.

Yeah Im from Ontario and I here the same Bs about Montreal here, about the people being rude and racist. I was was there in 2008 game 2 against philly, and even with the loss the people were very alive, and everyone I spoke to was helpful. Even the cops are friendly there. Cant say the same for here though.

I went to Montreal in the dead of winter, and the city was incredibly alive. Out here, people stay indoors as much as possible. In Montreal, they have a rave by the docks.

Anyone who thinks Montreal isn't the best city in the country needs their head examined.

Amen. :clap:

It is called Igloofest. It's kinda nice if you like dancing outside in the winter...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/chroniqueurs/rej...s-quebecois.php

Not sure why I'm moved to post this here; it's on the main page under the 'media links,' and this topic has of course been hashed out before - it's a symptom of my boiling blood, I suppose. To say that the Habs have no respect for the French fact in Quebec and 'abuse Quebecers,' when they have committed to running a permanent affirmative action program for francophone GMs and coaches (unmentioned by this dribbling old hack), is downright enervating. Does Tremblay suppose they are deliberately trying not to have star francophones? They made huge and fortunately unsuccessful plays for Briere and Lecavalier. They drafted Louis Leblanc. They irresponsibly reserve key managerial positions for francophones. They've rejigged their scouting machine in Quebec to be able to draft more Québécois. No dice, this is all window-dressing for Geoff Molson's neo-colonial agenda of consigning the Québécois to the status of wretched of the earth eternally toiling under the crushing burden of a hockey team with too few Quebecers on it. Il sait porter la croix, right? No wait, that's a federalist slogan.

And notice the sly ambiguity about who *really* counts. Jacques Martin and Benoit Pouliot are franco-Ontarians, which presumably is why they are unmentioned in this article. The only thing that matters is that Lapierre is the 'last Québécois.' At the same time, Tremblay attacks captaincy candidate Markov for not showing enough interest in learning French, when by his own 'logic' it wouldn't matter if Markov did, because he's not Québécois. Nice rhetorical move; it allows him to attack individual Habs for not learning French while discounting those Habs who do. (Needless to say, merely residing in Quebec doesn't make you Québécois, no matter what language you speak. You need to get your bloodlines checked first).

Rejean Tremblay needs a lesson in reasonable accomodation all right - preferably up his arse, which is the primary source for his so-called 'journalism.'

I am French speaking and I have read the article. It's typical Rejean Tremblay's bullshit. What can we do? Sadly, there will always be people thinking like him. Fortunately, I am not one of them and there are many more like me.