I thought Cedrick Desjardins was a hot young prospect?

REV-G

I haven't followed the AHL very closely but from all that I read I thought that Cedrick Desjardins was a great find, a young goaltending prospect who did really well in the AHL last year and maybe could have seen some NHL action this year if Auld faltered. I think he won the memorial cup with the Remparts and a championship with the ECHL, and they trade him for a 24 year old Russian still under contract who didn't do all that great in either the NHL or AHL! Did they move him because they thought he could never make it in the NHL or is there someone they had to make room for? Puzzling to me.

Edited by REV-G

From what I understand CJ lost his job to Sandford in the playoffs, and never even whiffed the NHL, where as this other goalie is younger, has like 50-60 games NHL experience and was the KHL all-star team last year. His record looks bad, but it was on TB, and a lot of golies record looks bad there.

Not sure young is the word I'd use to describe him. He turns 25 next month and hasn't been able to show he can be an AHL starter yet. Seeing some of the blogs calling him a top, even elite, goaltending prospect is mind-boggling. He was well worth signing as an undrafted free agent, he played fairly well in Cincy and Hamilton but the Habs felt he wasn't going to be able to take the next step (that's why they traded him). If we can call Desjardins a prospect, we could technically call Ramo one too since he's a year younger...though Ramo already has played enough NHL games to not be classified as a prospect anymore.

24 year old Russian still under contract

Technically he's a Finn, he just plays in Russia.

This deal does seem to be a backward or lateral move at best for next seaon but I think thy were looking beyond that on this trade. Theres lots of Finn Goalies who develop into stars now, so they must see something in Ramo they like that could potentially pan out out long term. Maybe they think he could be the next Kipper.

OMG!!!! THEY TRADED CEDRICK!!!!!! :wall: And they got Karri Ramo in return....I've seen Ramo play....I think I'm going to puke! :puke:

I know you've been high on Desjardins for a while now, I knew you wouldn't be too thrilled with this deal. :) At least Sanford's back for another go-round which makes this a bit easier to swallow for Hamilton fans. At least Mayer will get his shot now (brings back memories of us clamouring for him to play some games late last year when Sanford went down).

Ya gotta love a fan base that anoints Cendrick Desjardins some sort of elite young prospect but sh*ts all over Carey Price who is TWO YEARS YOUNGER. :lol:

That's Habs fans - the bird in the bush is always the bird of paradise, the bird in the hand is always a turd.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Ya gotta love a fan base that anoints Cendrick Desjardins some sort of elite young prospect but sh*ts all over Carey Price who is TWO YEARS YOUNGER. :lol:

That's Habs fans - the bird in the bush is always the bird of paradise, the bird in the hand is always a turd.

It is absurd, isn't it.

Like I said in another post, if you put Sanford in a Desjardins jersey and mask and vice versa and sent them out

on the ice for a scrimmage and asked joe average fan who is the better goaltender, the majority would choose

the guy wearing the Desjardins jersey.

The majority of people who are pissed have barely seen Desjardins play a pro game.

We got the better player in this deal. It is a bit of a risk because he may not come back from Russia.

As far as I can tell, Tampa needed an AHL backup for 1 year. Desjardins will probably do this job quite well. After this season they have other prospects to replace him. That works well for Tampa since he will be a UFA. So they gave us a better player who is unavailable for use in the AHL this year and who doesn't fit into their plans anyway.

I am also not sure that Desjardins fits into our plans. He looks like he may well be a career AHLer. Of course he may continue to develop and could make the NHL eventually but he is already (almost) 25.

I think there is a reasonable chance that Ramo will return next season to be our NHL backup since Auld may be gone.

Tampa got Desjardins as a potential callup for when Mike Smith gets hurt. They don't want to expose Janus or Tokarski to the NHL like what happened with Ramo a few years back.

Ramo's probably "recovered" from that develoopmental curve ball, but might like his KHL gig, who knows. It's possible we'll get four guys coming out of the KHL into our organization next year, as all have expiring contracts: Emelin, Ramo, Trunev and Trotter.

Tampa got Desjardins as a potential callup for when Mike Smith gets hurt. They don't want to expose Janus or Tokarski to the NHL like what happened with Ramo a few years back.

Ramo's probably "recovered" from that develoopmental curve ball, but might like his KHL gig, who knows. It's possible we'll get four guys coming out of the KHL into our organization next year, as all have expiring contracts: Emelin, Ramo, Trunev and Trotter.

Maybe but I think they want to keep Janus in Florida not the AHL so that he'll get more starts and so they need an AHL backup.

Well put. I think it is more ironic that Desjardins goes to an organization whose coach refused to put him in late in championship run. Don't you think coach had something to say about this trade? What do you think Boucher thinks of Desjardins?

Well put. I think it is more ironic that Desjardins goes to an organization whose coach refused to put him in late in championship run. Don't you think coach had something to say about this trade? What do you think Boucher thinks of Desjardins?

Yeah, I'm not an uncritical Price booster, but he has been the most singular victim of this wider tendency of Habs' fans to drool over unproven prospects while devaluing the players actually on the team. It's ridiculous.

As for Boucher, who knows? You make a good point about him not dressing Desjardins down the stretch. He may see Desjardins as a good 'organization' guy, someone who can serve a useful role at the AHL level and maybe have some starts in the NHL eventually - like Curtis Sanford. Or he may see Desjardins as potentially more than that. But canny fans have already noted Yzerman's press release, which clearly pegs Desjardins as an AHL man for the forseeable future.

What's probably really going is that Tampa has turned over senior management and Yzerman doesn't yet have the pro scouting staff in place that he wants, or else the Tampa people are still getting up to speed. Therefore they are relying on whatever information they do have - e.g., Boucher's opinions and recommendations. In other words, the sudden Tampa preference for Habs-related people may be a symptom of a limited information pool available to Yzerman at this stage of his reconstruction of the organization. It's not that Boucher is telling him that player X is so great, it's that he has a better BOOK on player X because of Boucher than he would have of players from somewhere else. I seem to remember Gainey doing a couple of deals with Dallas early on...and even that idiot Houle, when called upon to trade Roy, reached for the Big Book of Québécois Received Scouting Opinions that had pegged Thibault as a future star. GMs new to the job tend to rely on shortcuts because they don't have the proper infrastructure in place.

First off, i agree with you that people are too rough on Price, especially at his age, if he has 26-27 years old it would be an other story but he just turned 23 a few days ago.

Nevertheless, i'm wondering whats that deal all about?

Did cedrick felt unwanted in CH plans and wanted to show what he was able to do(request a trade?)

I see Ramo and Desjardins pretty much equal...yes ramo has some NHL experience but he wasnt hot at all in his NHL days with tampa...even if it was with a mediocre defense team.

Stats wise i dont think RAMO and desjardins are equals. Desjardins has excelled in every level he played. He wasnt drafted which explains partly why he had to build his way to the AHL with excellent performance. From junior to AHL he was always with winning teams or nearly.

I was thinking do you guys believe this transaction is because of contract number issues, down the salary cap from Hamilton since ramo doesnt cost anything since he's at KHL?

I was thinking do you guys believe this transaction is because of contract number issues, down the salary cap from Hamilton since ramo doesnt cost anything since he's at KHL?

Could be but I don't think so. This puts the Habs at 47 (including Price) and a pair (Leblanc and Lefebvre) will in all likelihood slide a year, putting the real situation at 45. They would have had room for him I think unless they have some other plans to bring another body or two in, be it for the NHL or AHL teams.

Salary wise, there's only a minuscule difference as Mayer now moves up to the AHL and he makes $55,000. Desjardins makes $65,000, I don't see the salaries playing a role either. I think it honestly comes to getting something for a player they know wouldn't be coming back, exactly what fans have wanted to see with pending UFA's for years. This just happened a little earlier, that's all. Certainly not worth the debate it's receiving here or in the media.

What's probably really going is that Tampa has turned over senior management and Yzerman doesn't yet have the pro scouting staff in place that he wants, or else the Tampa people are still getting up to speed. Therefore they are relying on whatever information they do have - e.g., Boucher's opinions and recommendations. In other words, the sudden Tampa preference for Habs-related people may be a symptom of a limited information pool available to Yzerman at this stage of his reconstruction of the organization. It's not that Boucher is telling him that player X is so great, it's that he has a better BOOK on player X because of Boucher than he would have of players from somewhere else. I seem to remember Gainey doing a couple of deals with Dallas early on...and even that idiot Houle, when called upon to trade Roy, reached for the Big Book of Québécois Received Scouting Opinions that had pegged Thibault as a future star. GMs new to the job tend to rely on shortcuts because they don't have the proper infrastructure in place.

I don't know were Stevie gets his info from, but I will say I like his moves so far. I also like Tampa chances.

Now it sounds as if Desjardins and his agent went to the Habs and requested a trade.

Devant la porte qui se fermait, Desjardins et son agent ont laissé entendre aux gens du Canadien qu'ils souhaitaient pouvoir obtenir une chance ailleurs. «À 25 ans, tu es rendu à vouloir ta chance immédiatement. Eux ne pouvaient pas me la donner à court terme.»

Not surprising, hard to imagine he'd be content being a platoon goalie on the farm at 25. Full article.