Habs pick up Halpern

St-Patrick

I really hope this deal can free up Plekky to give him more offensive energy, in this day and age, pts are the only thing that matters to fans, so we need to have him score to justify his contract of the fans will go bananas...and bananas is not what we need this the fanbase still butthurt over Halak leaving.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope this deal can free up Plekky to give him more offensive energy, in this day and age, pts are the only thing that matters to fans, so we need to have him score to justify his contract of the fans will go bananas...and bananas is not what we need this the fanbase still butthurt over Halak leaving.

The moment the franchise does things with players simply to placate the fanbase rather than trying to win games is the moment we give up on the season. Plekanec is a top end defensive forward, hovering around a Selke candidate based on last year's output. If anything, I see this signing as a chance for Martin to send both Plekanec (or Gomez) and Halpern out late in the game during the typical time Martin benches a guy like Kostitsyn or Pouliot when he needs to protect a lead.

Plekanec needs to be used in a way that helps us to win games. If he's the best guy for the defensive situations, he should be out there for them. Simple as that.

This is what RDS talkback will look like in a few minutes:

- Réponse a lefandesbruins

- Plus capable !!!!!

- Une bonne addition

- A tous ceux qui dénigrent PG....

- Let's Go Blues !

- Gainey !

- Le CH n'avait pas de marge de maneuvre

- La saison va etre longue....

- Tout repose sur les épaules de Carey Price

- Halpern, futur Capitaine ?

Hilarious. The team is a Stanley Cup semi-finalist and yet the fans are in an indigant, fatalistic rage before the season even starts :rolleyes:

Right-handed shot, good faceoff man, veteran leadership for the bottom-6, some possible offensive upside if used on the powerplay, cheap - this the sort of move you'd expect from Gauthier's track record, a small step but one that improves the team. And I could not agree more with Easy Ryder: this signing saves us pssing away a draft pick at the deadline. Good, responsible GMing.

The moment the franchise does things with players simply to placate the fanbase rather than trying to win games is the moment we give up on the season. Plekanec is a top end defensive forward, hovering around a Selke candidate based on last year's output. If anything, I see this signing as a chance for Martin to send both Plekanec (or Gomez) and Halpern out late in the game during the typical time Martin benches a guy like Kostitsyn or Pouliot when he needs to protect a lead.

Plekanec needs to be used in a way that helps us to win games. If he's the best guy for the defensive situations, he should be out there for them. Simple as that.

Yeah sorry Sask I was trying to be sarcastic heh, I guess it didn't really come through in my post.

Hilarious. The team is a Stanley Cup semi-finalist and yet the fans are in an indigant, fatalistic rage before the season even starts :rolleyes:

Right-handed shot, good faceoff man, veteran leadership for the bottom-6, some possible offensive upside if used on the powerplay, cheap - this the sort of move you'd expect from Gauthier's track record, a small step but one that improves the team. And I could not agree more with Easy Ryder: this signing saves us pssing away a draft pick at the deadline. Good, responsible GMing.

Yep, for sure.

Not sure why some are talking aboot moore though. I dont think Halpern was signed to replace Moore, he's Metro's replacement.

Metro's playoff stats 30 gp, 1 G, 4 A -8

Halpern's playoff stats 30 gp, 6 G, 6 A -5

He's no superstar, but his playoff stats are definitely way better than Metro, and he's 2 yrs younger. Plus he is 250K cheaper than Patches.

Gauthier addresses the need to sign "a guy" to play on bottom two lines. Good to see.

The Montreal Canadiens: the most Jewish team in the NHL.

As for the most Jewish team in the NHL maybe Jeffrey Molson can whisper into Pierre Gautier's ears and hire Gary Betman as our new captain and all go to Shwartz's for a smoke meat sandwich and a dill pickle. :blink:

As for the most Jewish team in the NHL maybe Jeffrey Molson can whisper into Pierre Gautier's ears and hire Gary Betman as our new captain and all go to Shwartz's for a smoke meat sandwich and a dill pickle. :blink:

Bettman is such a soulless pr*ck, he'd probably prefer Arby's.

Nice pickup! Solid defensive player...

Lines now..??..

Cammy - Pleks - A.Kost

Eller - Gomez - Gionta

Moen - Laps - Pouliot

Pyatt - Boyd - Halpern

I know I am going to hear it about Eller being on the 2nd line.. but I'm guessing he has a huge camp, earns his way on to the 2nd line, and stays there as he compliments the 2 G's well!

Edited by TheDriveFor25

What number is Boyd? Eller is taking the awful 81.

Somebody has to take 27, it's a kick-ass number!

No kidding. Frank Mahovlich! There ought to be a ban on numbers over 35 for regular roster players. Of course, with so many Habs' numbers retired that might take us into negative integers ^_^

For time-wasting trivia before the season starts, dig this investigation into the history of the #27 in NHL and Habs history:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/numbers.cgi?number=27

Does anyone with even more time on their hands have it in them to create a list of all available Habs' numbers that are NOT football numbers - i.e., numbers under, say, 38?

Nice pickup! Solid defensive player...

Lines now..??..

Cammy - Pleks - A.Kost

Eller - Gomez - Gionta

Moen - Laps - Pouliot

Pyatt - Boyd - Halpern

I know I am going to hear it about Eller being on the 2nd line.. but I'm guessing he has a huge camp, earns his way on to the 2nd line, and stays there as he compliments the 2 G's well!

I thought you just out Eller on the GG line so we could call it the EGG line. The other two had great success with Elias, so maybe they are just waiting for another E.

1: Jacques Plante

2: Doug Harvey

3: Emile Bouchard

4: Jean Beliveau

5: Bernie Geoffrion

6: Jaroslav Spacek

7: Howie Morenz

8:

9: Maurice Richard

10: Guy Lafleur

11: Scott Gomez

12: Yvon Cournyier, Dickie Moore

13: Mike Cammalleri

14: Tomas Plekanec

15: Jeff Halpern

16: Henri Richard, Elmer Lach

17: Dustin Boyd

18: Serge Savard

19: Larry Robinson

20: Ryan O'Byrne

21: Brian Gionta

22:

23: Bob Gainey

24: Alex Henry? - wore it when called up in 2008-09, but was worn afterwards by Mathieu Schneider

25:

26: Josh Gorges

27:

28:

29: Ken Dryden

30: Curtis Sanford

31: Carey Price

32: Travis Moen

33: Patrick Roy

34:

35: Alex Auld

36:

37:

38:

39:

40: Maxim Lapierre

44: Roman Hamrlik

46: Andrei Kostitsyn

48: J.T. Wyman

52: Mathieu Darche

53: Ryan White

57: Benoit Pouliot

58: David Desharnais

61: Ben Maxwell

64: Olivier Fortier

67: Max Pacioretty

68: Yannick Weber (he likes #77, wore it for Switzerland)

72: Mathieu Carle

75: Hal Gill

76: P.K. Subban

79: Andrei Markov

80: Dany Massé

81: Lars Eller

82: Andrew Conboy

90: Phillipe Lefebvre

94: Tom Pyatt

99: Wayne Gretzky

10 numbers available under #40. Eller hasn't made the NHL yet, so I can understand the high number. Subban would be a great #8. But then again, Gill and Markov have high numbers. I guess they won't be changing. I'd encourage new numbers for Pyatt and Pouliot this season. Andrei Kostitsyn should've had a lower number a long time ago. Alex Henry doesn't need #24 reserved for him, either, so that makes 11 numbers under #40.

Here is a read from early August that I thought might interest some :)

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2010/8/5...d-follow-gomezs

This IS a good read from one of the best Habs-related sites in existence. :clap: And saskhab, thanks for the awesome list! :clap::clap:

bar, the issue is simply tradition. In the old days teams almost always allocated numbers starting from 1 and moving upwards. Since there's only 20-odd players on a team, in followed that numbers over 30 were rare and typically reserved for guys trying to make the cut. This is why you find very few of our retired jerseys with big numbers on the back. Instead we have #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #10, on up to #33. Then it stops (until #99, the universal Gretzky jersey-retirement). Historically, players just didn't wear these inflated numbers. So to people like me, who tend to enjoy hockey traditions and be irked when they are arbitrarily discarded, the proliferation of high jersey numbers might be OK for junky franchises like Vancouver or Florida...but it's unseemly for a team that has the greatest heritage of them all.

I agree with everything this article says - including the principle that superstars might be the exception to the 'low jersey number' rule. I never begrudged Gretzky his #99 (especially since it showed such a keen sense of tradition, given that #9 is the most mythic number in all of hockey). Mario's 66 was a clever inversion of Gretzky's 99. Jagr's 68 was a play off Mario's 66. And so on. Fun stuff. But the Habs are in a super-starless era, so it's a moot point.

With #6 awarded to Spacek, I'd like to see PK grab #8. :hlogo: And I'm a little surprised nobody's jumped on #22, given its distinguished associations (Steve Shutt).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Hmmm that makes sense now CC, thanks. If I was a hockey player though, I'd wanna break tradition and forge an identity of my own, especially in a city like Montreal. The pressure is enough you do not need to be compared to someone who wore the number you currently do in the past. I'd love it, if say Price becomes a top 3 goalie in the league and in two years changes his number to #33 haha that'd be great.

Jagr's #68 was actually a nationalist reference: 1968 was the year the USSR annexed Czechoslovakia. It'd be like if someone was allowed to wear 9/11.

Guys who wear their birth years: it's cute at first, but really? Ditch 87, Crosby. I don't care how iconic it's become just because of you. Wearing a number because your birthday is 8/7/87 is just lame. Same with making your cap hit $8.7m.

#22 was Paul Mara's number last year. It could still be taken this year by a newbie. #25 should be snapped up as well (Jacques Lemaire). I like #28, too. Solid number (Eric Desjardins).

At the very least, numbers 8, 22, 25, 27, and 28 should be taken.